John Williams returns to Vienna! March 12/13 2022

crlbrg

2 hours ago, PetePan said:

Unfortunately it wasn't played

I'm clutching at straws here but if Prayer for Peace was an optional encore, it was likely rehearsed. So maybe the rehearsal was recorded for a future CD release... fingers crossed. 

4 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

One more observation: Today's audience was more enthusiastic, right from the get-go. Yesterday, there were some standing ovations (more towards the end), but today was about 2020 level, with standing ovations as soon as Williams appeared and after almost every piece, and lots of cheering at the end.

Mainly thanks two 2 people just in front of me that stood up immediately after each piece. I just saw them at the airport again...😁 

Just now, PetePan said:

Mainly thanks two 2 people just in front of me that stood up immediately after each piece. I just saw them at the airport again...😁 

Somewhere in the middle of the foremost block, about row 7-ish? I was in the left block on about their level and mostly took my cue from them. ;) 

2 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

One more observation: Today's audience was more enthusiastic, right from the get-go. Yesterday, there were some standing ovations (more towards the end), but today was about 2020 level, with standing ovations as soon as Williams appeared and after almost every piece, and lots of cheering at the end.

It’s super interesting just how differently that is perceived depending on where you sit. I sat Parterre yesterday and in one of the Balkon-Logen today, and my impression was rather the inverse. The few people around you really play a large role in how you perceive ‘the audience’ as a whole, I think.

Also though, they didn't insist on Williams returning to the stage anymore after the final encore, as the audience on Saturday did. 

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Somewhere in the middle of the foremost block, about row 7-ish? I was in the left block on about their level and mostly took my cue from them. ;) 

Must have been row 5, cause I was on row 7...😊

8 minutes ago, PetePan said:

Must have been row 5, cause I was on row 7...😊

Probably I was on row 7 as well (rightmost seat of the left block), so they must have been slightly in front of me.

Just now, Marian Schedenig said:

Probably I was on row 7 as well (rightmost seat of the left block), so they must have been slightly in front of me.

I we keep on talking we were neigbbours...

Did you guys also make sure that the orchestra got its entry applause? I started that both times on Saturday, which was a little odd. 😄

Finally got some use out of my hitherto pointless knowledge of Viennese concert protocol! 

19 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Did you guys also make sure that the orchestra got its entry applause? I started that both times on Saturday, which was a little odd. 😄

Of course, always do. Bad luck for those who were on the podium already when I came in (i.e. at least most of the winds, like yesterday).

3 minutes ago, mahler3 said:

He’s thinking Fawkes is Buckbeak! :-)

He also added to yesterday's comment that he can't remember which of the SW films Across the Stars comes from: (something like) "I can't for the life of me remember which one. I think it may have been Anakin's theme. But it's from one of them, trust me." He's not entirely wrong, but I fear he has forgotten all about Anakin's Theme.

And for some real controversy: He called the first film ("1977 I believe") A New Hope… twice!

Brief review of yesterday's concert in the newspaper Der Standard (in German):

https://www.derstandard.at/story/2000134062173/musikverein-gute-stimmung-bei-john-williams-und-den-sternenkriegen

55 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Of course, always do. Bad luck for those who were on the podium already when I came in (i.e. at least most of the winds, like yesterday).

Thank God you were there because it can be pretty confusing. 😅 There was a point on Saturday where almost the entire orchestra was seated and practicing. Then the string players left and entered again a few minutes later, which seems pretty weird if you don't know that this is the time you're supposed to clap before a VPO concert. And of course it works completely differently in other countries. Wien ist anders...

I choose to see the positive in that typically snobbish Standard review (why is Stefan Ender so obsessed with gods anyway?) - seems like he enjoyed the violin concerto. 

These concert updates (comments, photos, videos) have been great, but I'm curious about the social aspect of it all. I've noticed a few sober get-togethers, but any rambunctious partying? Anyone drunkenly searching for karaoke bars at 2 o'clock at night, for example (which, I can attest to, is impossible in Vienna)? ;)

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

These concert updates (comments, photos, videos) have been great, but I'm curious about the social aspect of it all. I've noticed a few sober get-togethers, but any rambunctious partying? Anyone drunkenly searching for karaoke bars at 2 o'clock at night, for example? ;)

What happened in Vienna stays in Vienna...

14 minutes ago, Thor said:

These concert updates (comments, photos, videos) have been great, but I'm curious about the social aspect of it all. I've noticed a few sober get-togethers, but any rambunctious partying? Anyone drunkenly searching for karaoke bars at 2 o'clock at night, for example? ;)

Ha! That was fun. Although thankfully nobody was that drunk that they criticised a certain author about their well respected book! 😳

Anyway, very civilised as all were cautious about the virus rate here at the moment.

8 hours ago, PetePan said:

A blonde girl and a man with black turtleneck pullover ? 😄

8 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Why 'damn Christmas'? His Christmas BPO albums are lovely!

Oh the albums are lovely. I meant the actual shows. I'm not sure what it was like in his day but now the Christmas shows are every single day, sometimes twice and on the rare occasion even THREE times in a day for a month and a half. Plus the ones where they visit other cities, even though those are local players hired under the named of the BP esplanade orchestra, Kieth is still there.

5 hours ago, AlexanderB said:

A blonde girl and a man with black turtleneck pullover ? 😄

Yep!

3 hours ago, Amer said:

So at this point it’s only confirmed a cd recording is expected.We are not sure if this will come as a video concert?

Well, I didn't see any cameras...

2 hours ago, PetePan said:

Yep!

Well, I didn't see any cameras...

Well I’m the guy in the black turtleneck haha. We are also on the Berlin concert blu ray in the left corner and in some Zooms (but with a white turtleneck 😄). I was surprised that there was no standing ovation after every piece like in Berlin and I thought that maybe I am behaving wrong for that location. I had the feeling that The audience (at least up to the encores) was way stiffer than John Williams himself. But it’s good to hear that this changed a bit at the Sunday concert. 
very cool to read that a few people weren’t annoyed by it ! 

1 minute ago, AlexanderB said:

Well I’m the guy in the black turtleneck haha. We are also on the Berlin concert blu ray in the left corner and in some Zooms (but with a white turtleneck 😄). I was surprised that there was no standing ovation after every piece like in Berlin and I thought that maybe I am behaving wrong for that location. I had the feeling that The audience (at least up to the encores) was way stiffer than John Williams himself. But it’s good to hear that this changed a bit at the Sunday concert. 
very cool to read that a few people weren’t annoyed by it ! 

I joked to my neigbour that they probably hired and paid you to immediately stand up after each piece. 😅😂

I liked it!

30 minutes ago, PetePan said:

I joked to my neigbour that they probably hired and paid you to immediately stand up after each piece. 😅😂

I liked it!

Hahaha that would be a job I take immediately 😂 

very good to see that some people in the audience were in the same mood, I thought that John Williams deserve no less, and I hope so much that he will return to Berlin or Vienna one more time ! 

1 hour ago, Lord Montague said:

no CD recording and no video recording this time...

wait- a few pages back somebody did confirm about this being recorded although in unofficial capacity. 

19 hours ago, PetePan said:

After the concert I was talking outside to one of the percussionist and he confirmed that there will be a 'schallplatte'...😎

Recording in the making!

this!

On 12/03/2022 at 4:43 PM, JonathanAsh said:

I. HAVE. CONFIRMATION. 🤓 

Just talked to a recording engineer backstage. The concert is being (audio-)recorded, they hope to have it released by DG!

@Amer and this one. Two people got this information.