John Williams returns to Vienna! March 12/13 2022

crlbrg

13 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Here's a 7ish minutes long bit from Austrian TV with excerpts of what seems to originally have been a longer interview (overdubbed in German) - though it's probably region blocked outside Austria:

https://tvthek.orf.at/profile/kulturMontag/13886866/kulturMontag/14127980/John-Williams-Von-E-T-bis-A-I/15127069

The most relevant info is when he mentions that after going back to LA and before starting on Indy 5, he's going to finish Spielberg's latest film "which doesn't have a title yet". I guess nobody bothered to tell him…

Can view video from the Netherlands, thanks!

17 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The most relevant info is when he mentions that after going back to LA and before starting on Indy 5, he's going to finish Spielberg's latest film "which doesn't have a title yet". I guess nobody bothered to tell him…

Interesting! Maybe the recording sessions were split in half, or simply haven't started yet?

Also wouldn't be surprised if Fabelmans is just a working title and the real title hasn't been decided/announced yet.

This also gives Mangold another month to polish his director's cut before showing Williams (which I'm sure JW will appreciate, after his experiences on TFA and TROS).

1 hour ago, JonathanAsh said:

I see your (or her) point on volume vs. refinement, but I do think there were lots of moments of wonderfully musical, ‘refined’ playing: The horn solo (Saturday’s flub notwithstanding) in Leia’s theme, the gorgeous soaring strings in E.T. or the passionate way the celli and horns sang Fawkes’ theme together… Definitely not just the flute. 

That part of the review confused me as well. I have no idea what this kind of journalism does for anyone. Is she trying to make fun of the plebs who don‘t have good taste in music? Or is she just sincerely surprised at how joyfully the audience applauded? 

The solos were great for the most part and principal flutist Karl-Heinz Schütz was gleefully attacking every phrase, not just the solo parts. I guess I was trying to say that the second half had a lot of heroic, full tilt brass and maybe playing with the dynamics and the balance would've brought out more orchestral details in some pieces. E.T. was probably my personal highlight - just beautiful playing all around! 

Anyway, it was a fantastic concert! 

The concert critics are just taken aback by the frequency of the standing ovations. Don't make too much of it, they just live in a different bubble than us. 

Consider on the flip side that some JWFanners have accused the Saturday audience of lacking enthusiasm, because there wasn't a standing ovation every time. I'm pretty sure that the program was structured in such a way that there wasn't supposed to be long applause inside of the Harry Potter, Indiana Jones and Star Wars blocks, which is why JW after some pieces didn't really turn around to acknowledge the audience on Saturday. 

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Young(ish)er players overall. Which some here will again complain about as a supposed snub towards Williams; others even before the concert saw it as a reason to expect a better rehearsed performance.

Steude as concertmaster was a definite upgrade, otherwise it was also pretty much as good as it gets (though the lineup for the first concert was also good). Schütz, Schorn, Dervaux, Lenaerts, they are all great. I didn't see the horn section well from where I was sitting... was it Janezic messing up the horn solo? If so, we can't complain there either, because he's the best. 

10 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Here's a 7ish minutes long bit from Austrian TV with excerpts of what seems to originally have been a longer interview (overdubbed in German) - though it's probably region blocked outside Austria:

https://tvthek.orf.at/profile/kulturMontag/13886866/kulturMontag/14127980/John-Williams-Von-E-T-bis-A-I/15127069

I love the way John Williams always talks in such a way that it's both possible that he loves Anne-Sophie and that's why he writes pieces for her, or that he's held captive by her and coerced into writing.

11 hours ago, PetePan said:

In the Netherlands we also say that a band makes 'een nieuwe plaat'.

But that as well is a general reference to vinyl, CD, or even streaming. 

DFDC5BEB-C814-4CD6-BD28-2224E4818ACD.jpeg

Ps. Interesting note on the door: 

Please put phones into fly-mode. Direct to disc...

Something to do with interference?

Was this photo taken in the Musikverein? Really?

7 hours ago, Matthias said:

Consider on the flip side that some JWFanners have accused the Saturday audience of lacking enthusiasm, because there wasn't a standing ovation every time. I'm pretty sure that the program was structured in such a way that there wasn't supposed to be long applause inside of the Harry Potter, Indiana Jones and Star Wars blocks, which is why JW after some pieces didn't really turn around to acknowledge the audience on Saturday. 

The biggest ones with whooing and all were after Hedwig, Throne Room, Flying and of course the Imp March. Funny that the latter with its repetitive ostinato opening almost seems designed to accomodate the audience's surprise clapping when they realise what it is, without really losing anything of worth under it!

1 hour ago, BB-8 said:

Was this photo taken in the Musikverein? Really?

Yep. As said at the corridor of the Parterre right. Close to the men's toilets...😁 

3 minutes ago, PetePan said:

Yep. As said at the corridor of the Parterre right. Close to the men's toilets...😁 

Thanks! Good evidence that it was properly recorded.

I had to go for a slash so didn't manage any interval research.

1 minute ago, BB-8 said:

Thanks! Good evidence that it was properly recorded.

I had to go for a slash so didn't manage any interval research.

I'm always looking around.

Here, I spotted the glockenspiel and the rest of the percussion after the concert...😊

E1D805E9-5F8E-4F36-9D7D-CE5875AAF3FA.jpeg

763C886C-7BB7-4E5E-901A-AEA004B7A349.jpeg

4 minutes ago, PetePan said:

I'm always looking around.

Here, I spotted the glockenspiel and the rest of the percussion after the concert...😊

E1D805E9-5F8E-4F36-9D7D-CE5875AAF3FA.jpeg

763C886C-7BB7-4E5E-901A-AEA004B7A349.jpeg

That door could be a prop for Tatooine.

Real shabby chic!

10 hours ago, Matthias said:

The concert critics are just taken aback by the frequency of the standing ovations. Don't make too much of it, they just live in a different bubble than us. 

Yes, you’re right. I think what upsets me is the general attitude of people who think they know ‘how something should be’, and then don‘t accept that other people might feel differently. That’s the kind of impression that review left on me a little bit.

10 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Excellent, thanks!

I see a red light! 

image.png

Just been looking in to that direct-to-disc process. It's fascinating really, stripping it all back to how it used to be. I know we're jumping to conclusions based on stickers on a door :D but... it's cool to think something interesting might be coming. 

20 minutes ago, bigjimwilson said:

Just been looking in to that direct-to-disc process. It's fascinating really, stripping it all back to how it used to be. I know we're jumping to conclusions based on stickers on a door :D but... it's cool to think something interesting might be coming. 

I agree. The same red light was also showing during the Emil Berliner Studio / Accentus production of Smetana's Ma Vlast in Bamberg. This tech really looks like something bought off a sand crawler. ;-)

Smetana: Má vlast – Direct-to-disc recording, Limited edition – Bamberger Symphoniker, Jakub Hrůša | ACCENTUS Music

It's just fun speculating!

image.png

image.png

20 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

That reminds me of something that I thought myself (and that I think I've been subconsciously thinking for a long time, but the concert made me more aware of it): Why will I never be a huge fan of the Superman march? It's nice and all, and I'm happy enough to hear it live, but it'll never be one of my favourites in pretty much any programme. And I think the reason is that it's just so overloaded, orchestration wise. There's lots of little flourishes and counterpointish bits that you can barely make out on CD, but in a live performance, you just hear a big mass of brass and percussion, sometimes woods, but almost no chance to make out anything from the strings aside from the ostinato - not even in Berlin with its extra transparent acoustics. It's a conscious decision, surely - the march was written just a year after Star Wars, the previous big main title march, where you can make out every relevant detail. But it certainly has an impact on its enjoyability, especially live, for me. The brief horn chorale of the love theme in the middle, performed by the Wiener horns, but glorious though (and the bit I was actively looking forward to).

For me the arrangement is showing its age.  I would love if Williams gave it some kind of update like he's done with Han Solo and the Princess.  A little freshen up.  The Prelude is a wonderful build up that I'd love to hear brought to the stage.  And the extra bars of the ostinato with the "up and awaayyyy" brass from the film version.

I will say the bass section of the Berliner Philharmoniker did a terrific job with the sharpness of their pronounced ostinato at the beginning of their recording.  That was rather exciting.

13 minutes ago, Andy said:

For me the arrangement is showing its age.  I would love if Williams gave it some kind of update like he's done with Han Solo and the Princess.  A little freshen up.  The Prelude is a wonderful build up that I'd love to hear brought to the stage.  And the extra bars of the ostinato with the "up and awaayyyy" brass from the film version.

I will say the bass section of the Berliner Philharmoniker did a terrific job with the sharpness of their pronounced ostinato at the beginning of their recording.  That was rather exciting.

I would love exactly that... for the film prelude and the up and away to be in there. My two favourite bits!

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

No we don't want freshness!!!

Even "Luke and Leia" is different since few years.

That's not freshness, that's just taking out a vital part and perhaps just forgetting to put it back in again.

On 15/03/2022 at 12:59 AM, Matthias said:

Steude as concertmaster was a definite upgrade, otherwise it was also pretty much as good as it gets (though the lineup for the first concert was also good). Schütz, Schorn, Dervaux, Lenaerts, they are all great. I didn't see the horn section well from where I was sitting... was it Janezic messing up the horn solo? If so, we can't complain there either, because he's the best. 

Yes it was Janezic that played the horn solos on both days. After the Saturday performance, I was very happy that there was only one real flub on Sunday in "Leia's Theme".

Come on, what's that guy trying to do?? Does he have terminal cancer and he thinks touching Williams will heal him or something?

7 minutes ago, eitam said:

Come on, what's that guy trying to do?? Does he have terminal cancer and he thinks touching Williams will heal him or something?

Looks like the same guy from the Berlin concerts 😀

1 hour ago, eitam said:

Does he have terminal cancer and he thinks touching Williams will heal him or something?

He tried to tap him to either give him something or have it signed. In either case, tasteless behaviour.

3 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

So we get a recording of the concert...on LP? Well...

If DG release this, which is rather likely, then they could do various packages with CD only and/or limited numbered direct-to-disc vinyl editions etc., etc., etc. etc.,...

27 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

If DG release this, which is rather likely, then they could do various packages with CD only and/or limited numbered direct-to-disc vinyl editions etc., etc., etc. etc.,...

Ok, that sounds promising. I really hope for a CD or Hi-Res download release.

16 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

But why would they use a turntable? Or am I missing something? Wouldn't a digital recording be better?

I also don't really see the advantage. It seems to be quite a hassle getting everything right. On the other hand the method does not allow any editing. So if they have recorded JW speeches as well they will be complete with "the warts and all".

Direct-to-disc recording - Wikipedia

Someone did detect a tape recorder and maybe they also had some digital back-up...who knows?

5 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

But they can just edit the final material afterwards, right? I mean, we're not getting what they literally recorded, I'm sure. They'd want to go for the best takes.

Only if they rip the direct-to-disc recording onto a digital media. But as far as I've understood, this is not the point. Vinyl copies are made directly from the master disc. Some conductors (Hrusa, Haitink) have even signed the master discs in the middle - so you would get a copy of that signature too.

I honestly cannot imagine that they did a live direct-to-disc. But the red light and mic during rehearsals could mean that they did some direct-to-disc takes before the concert (without the distraction from the audience).

3 hours ago, BB-8 said:

That coat is at least 20 years old.

Regarding the guy that tapped John Williams in front of the Hotel; both ways of looking at it it’s sad. His behavior was a bit cheeky and a no Go, on the other Hand somehow you have to get noticed. And then again the bodyguards are of course only doing there job in this case, but has it to be that harsh I mean you can judge in a second if someone is a danger or not. This guy seemed like a fan that wanted to get something signed or so I guess John Williams himself is way cooler as most of his crew around him. Tricky situation...

I think that some people sometimes don’t understand for whom they work for. Of course there are always guys like autograph hunters and so on and if this guy was a common face I get the reaction of the guard. But people that work for someone like John Williams have to understand that he is not a hero or a legend for us... he is something truly godlike so in the Fan Community there is a whole different level of respect for him than maybe compared to a pop star. And on top of that you have to realize the situation. We are talking about a very urban address, fans that rush to his hotel after maybe flying around half the globe only to see him are not the people that are willing to harm or annoy I’m in any way... I guess. 
when I was in the Berlin concert there were two people behind me and they said something like „what trash is this, it’s miles away from Mahler“. I was so shocked by such a wrong statement but after reflecting it I thought „well even though these two lady’s are absolutely wrong when it comes to the quality of music, I get why they think that. People got thrown out the Philharmonie because they wanted an autograph“. He got treated way stiffer then he (I think) is. 
I don’t have a clue who the guy on the video is but imagine you maybe paid a lot of money and invested a lot of work to see you idol one time and then you get treated like a stalker and your phone gets broken. 
I guess a Nice but dominant „not here sir“ would have been enough 😄🤷🏽‍♂️

8 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Fans are the most dangerous people on the planet, you should know that!

I totally agree with you but in my opinion and I can only hope that I speak for all of us here; this classic "fan-mobbed" situation is something we don’t want for John Williams. This is something that could happen very well if he would go through a Star Wars convention or so but I guess middle age people like the guy on the video that do have the Information that he will be at this certain entrance of this exact hotel in that time even though this concert was close to not advertised at all... these 10 people are most likely the ones John Williams REALLY want to surround himself.

I wish I had knew that it is possible to see him for a second after the concert 😄

6 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Below image was posted on Emil Berliner Studios' Instagram-account.

Note the same door, water bottles, chair, collapsable tables, etc.

There is a direct-to-disc turntable to be seen (behind the lady with headphones).

Oh joy! 

image.png

We'll I'm glad that I spotted it well!