John Williams returns to Vienna! March 12/13 2022

crlbrg

34 minutes ago, Biodome said:

If he is an actual fan, he's quite an oblivious and egotistical one. Firstly, he could've read the room and taken cue from the other fans around the entrance, who were thanking and applauding John Williams without intruding on his personal space. That was the appropriate thing to do. It also doesn't take a lot of research to know that John Williams hasn't signed stuff in years, and that he is generally surrounded by bodyguards for a reason. When a star is willing to sign something, they will show it clearly. John Williams was heading straight for the door, like he did during the concert in Berlin. Charging into him with a pen and paper isn't gonna end well. I don't have much sympathy for the justification that he was just a massive fan and really wanted an autograph. To me, John Williams is also a godlike legend. I can't stop enjoying his music, I can't stop buying the CDs/LPs/Blu-Rays, I can't stop talking about him to my friends, I've participated in this community for years, I've done four podcast episodes about his scores, and I've been to 7 concerts where John was conducting, sacrificing my time and finances to such a degree that nothing else in my life even comes close to that. I could sell my soul for an autograph or even a wink from John Williams. But that doesn't give me a right to barge into his personal space. If you're truly a fan, that also means you treat your object of fandom as a human that deserves respect more than anyone else in the world. Autographs are a mutual activity that demand consent from both parties. As a fan, one should have some self-control, know what's appropriate in a given moment, and know the lines that you're not supposed to cross. When a fan cannot behave like a proper fan, then one shouldn't be surprised that people will treat them like any one of those obnoxious autograph hunters.

First of all it’s astonishing that you are so in love with his music like the most here in this forum. But that you had the chance to see him so often, that is really a story to tell ! John Williams is my mental ally since I’m 7 years old and the reason why I want to study composition. Our love here on this platform is more than great. 
Please don’t get me wrong here. As I said in my humble opinion BOTH parties acted too harsh. Yes I do think that his guard acting with an intensity that his phone was breaking is to hard. And No I myself would never dare to sneak behind John Williams and tap him from behind because of course that can look very wrong. I am only saying that John Williams appears like a man that really understand his thing and this goes hand in hand with a very low ego (in the best possible way obviously). Equal to Herbert von Karajan back in the day, he was treated like a Star around his concerts but after his death his wife in an interview once said that one of his favorite memories always was talking to fans after the concerts for many minutes. And I do also speak as a guy that traveled around the globe 2 times (only so far 😄) to see John Williams for 2 hours and I hope and guess that I am right because John Williams proofed my theory when I saw him shaking hands and fist-dropping fans in the first row. 

We shouldn’t forget; he didn’t had to... 
I only have the fear that some people don’t know how to treat him other than just "a Star"

PS: yes you Are Right, he hasn’t signed in this kind of environment for a long time but I’m not sure if he doesn’t like it or if he thinks the people don’t really want him to. In Ennio Morricones Book „Life notes“ John Williams is mentioned as one of his best friends and Ennio Morricone was the one saying that he thinks nobody would come to his concert and he don’t want to annoy fans by stoping for autographs. The Ego thing is not to underestimate 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, like those who bought tickets to both concerts...

Can't afford to miss any of them flubs.

Well to end the topic I maybe started without wanting to lay a fire here (😄

Maybe we can all agree on the fact that hitting the guy so hard he dropped all his stuff was as unnecessary as approaching John Williams the way he did. The thing I often take from classical concerts (sadly) is that it gets more and more unattractive for younger people to join. In my case I’m 24 and an amateure bodybuilder. It happens so often that people in classical concerts giving me very unhappy looks there was one concert where I was even asked what I would think this concert is. Because of this very clear Trent I love it that John Williams is so, so near to his fans. All the mentioned points of everyone here are right and at his age he truly experienced the good and the bad. I just like to think of my idol as a man full of joy and love for the nexus that connects all of as wich is his music and not as an old grumpy man that is totally different when he’s leaving the stage. 
these are extreme situations and as long as we care about fans getting their autographs and John Williams Being well I guess we can consider us as a attractive community 😄

Maybe one day we will have luck and he will sell signed records or books like Ennio morricone did on his concerts 🎼😊

32 minutes ago, JTW said:

And one other thing: these bodyguards were doing their job very badly. This should never have happened. What if the man had a knife or a gun or even Covid?

I don't think they're *those* kind of bodyguards. They were hired to protect Williams from obnoxious fans, but probably not to actually protect his life from someone with a weapon (or a virus).

3 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I don't think they're *those* kind of bodyguards. They were hired to protect Williams from obnoxious fans, but probably not to actually protect his life from someone with a weapon (or a virus).

I don't know what kind of bodyguards they were, but clearly they failed even at that, so they were *bad* bodyguards. 

4 hours ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

I've mentioned this before every once in a while. I think no matter what, there are fans like me, who are probably most of them, who just want to kneel and kiss his feet for three seconds and preserve the speck of dirt on his shoes in a bullet proof class slide. BUT there are ALWAYS fans that are complete shi*t heads (are we allowed to curse here?).

I encountered a few fans that I think were mentally ill. Both at a Williams concert - London 1998, and at an event Jerry Goldsmith spoke at I think the year before. The Goldsmith event had adults clamoring over each other to get autographs, and at the open rehearsal for the Williams concert, some morons kept clapping as though they were at a concert. It was just embarassing being in their presence. Eventually Williams turned around and said "We're trying to work here", which was his way of saying STFU.

Was anybody here at the Tom Stoppard talk at Tanglewood in 2019? Thats when the learning center opened and they had several special events, including one with Williams and David Newman which was VERY tame I think because a maybe 30 tickets were quietly sold and everyone was probably drooling over themselves.

But the Tom Stoppard one, which presumable was supposed to have Andre Previn there as well, unfortunately he died a few months before. I guess Stoppard had written some politically storied plays, like a 1984 type thing (i'm unfamiliar) and some woman went off basically to the point of nearly having an all out protest against Trump in the middle of the thing and wouldn't stop harassing him. She first asked a question he said he didn't want to really answer and she wouldn't stop and it got to the point of people in the audience telling her to shut up and nearly being asked to leave.

6 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Hmm that car cad a big red dot in the windshield. Williams doesnt care about the environment... 

What does the red dot mean?

6 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Btw that car is allowed to circulate in The center of vienna? 

At least it's no SUV.

That car (from Germany) also shows a green badge with a large 4 which is related to fine particle emission.

P1190099#.jpg

feinstaubplakette-gruen-abgasplakette.png

"The environmental badge was introduced on March 1st, 2007 and has been mandatory for all cars, trucks and buses in the German environmental zones since January 1st, 2008. Depending on the EURO class, the particulate matter sticker was divided into 3 different colours, red, yellow and green. The rules of the now more than 80 zones have been tightened step by step, so that in almost all German cities only entry with the green environmental sticker is allowed."

Google-translated German text from Umwelt-Plakette.de – Green-Zones.eu

The red badge shows no writing and remains a mystery.

2 hours ago, Biodome said:

Only if you disregard the fact that he flew to Vienna in a plane.

He refused transatlantic flights for 20 years, so his carbon footprint in that regard is probably still better than the average European's.

30 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

He refused transatlantic flights for 20 years, so his carbon footprint in that regard is probably still better than the average European's.

I'm far from sure that the average European has traveled to America even once

14 minutes ago, eitam said:

I'm far from sure that the average European has traveled to America even once

I should probably have said the average (upper) middle class Western/Central European.

He could have actually walked. Like the people in Berlin who need to do their jobs very well.

8 hours ago, JTW said:

Just like Han Solo. 

But when Han Solo was frozen in carbonite he left no carbon footprint.

9 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The older he gets, the greater his carbon footprint.

Viele carbon footprints written with a Bleistift on paper, ja, ja...

6 hours ago, BB-8 said:

He could have actually walked. Like the people in Berlin who need to do their jobs very well.

But when Han Solo was frozen in carbonite he left no carbon footprint.

Viele carbon footprints written with a Bleistift on paper, ja, ja...

He did when he was defrosted by Leia. 

45 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

They look lovely. If the Maestro wasn't married, I think Ms. Mutter would now be called Mrs. Williams. She clearly is attracted to older men. André Previn was three years older than Williams. 

1 hour ago, JTW said:

They look lovely. If the Maestro wasn't married, I think Ms. Mutter would now be called Mrs. Williams. She clearly is attracted to older men. André Previn was three years older than Williams. 

Yes, I do see a pattern here. But to be faire, composers depend on inspiration. So it may well be seen as a kind of symbiosis rather than the result of a neo-Freudian psycho-sexual abnormality.

Wege aus dem Labyrinth

Ny04MjIzLmpwZWc.jpeg

3 minutes ago, JTW said:

Why would be abnormality? There are a lot women who are attracted to more mature talented, wise men, artists. It’s perfectly understandable. I’m sure the relationship between Ms. Mutter and The Maestro is entirely platonic and basically a beautiful friendship, but I think were Mr. Williams not married, perhaps it could be more. Anyway, as I said before, they look lovely together, thanks for sharing the photo.

I have often wondered whether the mutual attraction among muses and maestros is the driving force of cultural evolution, also explaining why there are significantly more male than female composers. Though it is untimely and potentially sexist to propose this hypothesis.

Let us now discuss what whine they were drinking in the Imperial Bar.

Rosé or Blanc de Noirs?

18 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

I have often wondered whether the mutual attraction among muses and maestros is the driving force of cultural evolution, also explaining why there are significantly more male than female composers. Though it is untimely and potentially sexist to propose this hypothesis.

Let us now discuss what whine they were drinking in the Imperial Bar.

Rosé or Blanc de Noirs?

As a Hungarian I would say Tokaji. ;)

Wasn’t this photo taken at the Musikverein after the Saturday concert?

16 minutes ago, JTW said:

As a Hungarian I would say Tokaji. ;)

Wasn’t this photo taken at the Musikverein after the Saturday concert?

JW entered Café Imperial after the Saturday concert.... Not sure if they pored him a whine backstage, though possible as it did take a while until he was driven to the hotel.

58 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

JW entered Café Imperial after the Saturday concert.... Not sure if they pored him a whine backstage, though possible as it did take a while until he was driven to the hotel.

Maybe they held a small reception (after party, hehe) after the concert. Beautiful glasses, too.

• 7 months later...