John Williams returns to Vienna! March 12/13 2022

crlbrg

3 hours ago, Chewy said:

So Deutsche Grammophon will release "Fawkes the Phoenix" as a single tomorrow (november 11): https://music.apple.com/nz/album/fawkes-the-phoenix-from-harry-potter-and-the/1652091889

Seems like this 2022 Vienna concert will be released too :heart: !

800x800bb.webp

Cool, with sample! 

2 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Why exactly do we think there will be a full album release?

I was thinking the same, especially since they are still peddling the tanglewood recording of the concerto. but I wouldn't put it past them to sell both either...

46 minutes ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

I was thinking the same, especially since they are still peddling the tanglewood recording of the concerto. but I wouldn't put it past them to sell both either...

I was thinking that one reason for releasing Fawkes in particular, might be that—aside from Sound the Bells—it is the only piece from these Vienna/Berlin concerts which DG has not yet released a recording of Williams conducting. For example, the tracks that were omitted from the first Vienna album had already been featured on the "Across the Stars" album; likewise, almost every piece on the 2022 Vienna program has already been featured on the Berlin album (and the Violin Concerto No. 2 on the Boston album earlier this year).

Of course, I'd still love to get a full album of the 2022 Vienna concert. But I guess part of me wonders if DG is willing to release that much duplication of repertoire, with the same conductor within about a single year. We'll see.

I guess they are releasing this because of The Fabelmans and riding on an assumption of JW trending in searches due to the soundtrack release. Not that I am complaining. It's a really lovely. Somewhat different than other renditions.

Besides streaming, I notice that HDTracks has it for sale for $3 (although HDLISTEN20 will drop that and other new releases by 20% through Monday). I don't see it on Presto or Qobuz yet (not that I looked that hard).

Anyway, super happy to have this and also hope we get Vienna 2 in some format or another.

9 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I'm gonna say it. I don't like the... sound of the orchestra. And the tempo is too slow, again.

Aw come on, it still has energy. It's just a hair slower.

14 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Maybe, but all the Berlin cues have more of it.

They don't have "Fawkes the Phoenix".

Fabulous performance. Very looking forward to the album. It'll definitely be released. Repetitions of certain pieces don't matter that much in a classical music world. What matters more is that Williams conducted most of them with this particular orchestra for the first time.

17 hours ago, Chewy said:

So Deutsche Grammophon will release "Fawkes the Phoenix" as a single tomorrow (november 11): https://music.apple.com/nz/album/fawkes-the-phoenix-from-harry-potter-and-the/1652091889

800x800bb.webp

Golly! Id already forgotten this had happend!!!

I think it will make a great Holiday release. CD /Bluray &  SACD included as well. Right ? @lairdo

50 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Wait, John Williams went back to Vienna???

Yes, he stayed at the Imperial, March 2022.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I'm gonna say it. I don't like the... sound of the orchestra. And the tempo is too slow, again.

What is your benchmark? The OST?

19 hours ago, Jay said:

Why would DG use an image from a different concert for this?

Fixed. ;) I don't know why they would, but I also think it looks like it's a still from 2020. The orchestra setup was different in 2022:

image.jpeg

When you compare it to the 2020 CD cover, it's virtually the same image from the same angle, same players in same positions with same clothes and hair.

14 minutes ago, Holko said:

When you compare it to the 2020 CD cover, it's virtually the same image from the same angle, same players in same positions with same clothes and hair.

Correct.  

But bizarre!

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

No, Berlin and Dudamel.

Unfortunately, the Berliners didn't do Fawkes.

Their HPWW is really a benchmark version - VPO won't top that because the ritardando was less pronounced. 

Had forgotten about LA/Dude...

Perhaps we should send DG some of our pics from Vienna 2022...

24 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Oh I know they didn't do Fawkes in Berlin, just meant the overall... performance quality.

That's why we need a recording of the Milan Concert, too. It's so rewarding comparing different versions.

2 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Unfortunately, the Berliners didn't do Fawkes.

Their HPWW is really a benchmark version - VPO won't top that because the ritardando was less pronounced. 

Had forgotten about LA/Dude...

The glaring trumpet flub at 3:45 keeps Berlin's HPWW from being a benchmark, for me. It's not like it's just some random accompaniment note—it's the melody, flubbed by the loudest instrument that plays it.

Not only that, but it's the only time that that phrase (the first part of the Hogwarts Forever theme) shows up in the piece. So, if this were the only recording of the piece that you ever heard, there is literally not a single correct appearance of that phrase anywhere to be found in the recording.

On 10/11/2022 at 1:26 PM, Chewy said:

800x800bb.webp

This is a nice surprise!

3 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Just realising that Fawkes has become a fully fledged Williams piece as opposed to the feeling back in 2002 when this was considered more a Ross adaptation.

What!? 

On 11/11/2022 at 2:03 PM, bollemanneke said:

No, Berlin and Dudamel.

Hello Everyone !

The piece was a surpise ! I listened live the Dudamel version, and he always miss the last theme repetition: for me too light percussions and brass among the original

This is great!  Fawkes is so criminally under-programmed that any release is a good one.  And the tempo change (barely perceptible to me) just brings out other elements of the orchestration I hadn't focused on before.

So now I just have to decide whether to buy this single or wait and see on an album (especially with the potential for an album with the new fanfare on it!).

On 11/11/2022 at 3:38 PM, Holko said:

This looks like a third version from the same angle:

John-Williams-Dolby-Atmos-Cover.jpg

Standard version:

Anne-Sophie Mutter & John Williams - In Vienna, CD

Fa(w)kes version:

Produktfamilie | WILLIAMS Fawkes the Phoenix

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Jay said:

Neat!

Are these the only 3 pieces played at this concert that weren't played at the first Vienna concert or Berlin?

There was also VC No. 2 with selected film arrangements but that is all covered by Tanglewood/Boston...

Still hoping for a full physical release of Vienna II early 2023!