John Williams returns to Vienna! March 12/13 2022

crlbrg

John Williams conducted concerts in Vienna in January 2020.  DG released a concert album.

John Williams conducted concerts in Berlin in October 2021.  DG released a concert album.

John Williams conducted concerts in Vienna in March 2022.  Since he only performed 3 pieces at those concerts that hadn't already been released on an album by DG, they instead released just those 3 pieces as singles.

Fawkes The Phoenix in November 2022

Sound The Bells in December 2022

and now March of the Resistance in February 2023

All the singles are listed in my thread -- are you telling us your discography page has ignored them?

@Ricard, I just noticed the main page only has a page for the Fawkes single: https://www.jwfan.com/?p=14454

But not the Sound The Bells or March of the Resistance singles.

It is still looking for a new domain name by the way, it could be deposited on www.jwfan.com if you wish (it's not big, it's mostly html pages).

It's @Junionwho work on it now, thanks for his help!

I plan to stop to renew my goplanete.com domain soon.

Here's the DG news letter text:

"John Williams scored all nine Star Wars films, creating some of the most memorable music in movie history. For The Force Awakens (2015), episode VII of the science-fiction saga, the legendary composer felt that the Resistance – the underground movement intent on destroying the evil First Order which is then ruling the galaxy – demanded its own dramatic musical signature. The classically styled, brass-driven March of the Resistance underscores the heroic actions of the characters Rey, Poe, Finn and the film's other freedom fighters."

Is there any way to learn how many of the singles on that list contain music not also found on an album, like these three?

On 3/2/2023 at 7:45 AM, Amer said:

Still hoping for a proper CD album release or just an EP would be fine. 

Me too. I understand their reluctance to release another almost identical album but I’m sure there are enough differences to justify at least a one-disc release.

Were there any other differences between the two concert set lists?

6 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

In fact, only Marion’s Theme, The Duel and The Imperial March were the same.

…and the concerto. Plus overlap with the Berlin concert.

38 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

There is no excuse. DG's entire catalogue consists of re-releases of the same things by 125421 different orchestras.

Yes, but those come from a back catalogue spanning decades. I suppose they were never too keen to bring out the same programme multiple times in short succession, even if it's different recordings (especially if it isn't some repertoire work that people are already familiar with an actively seeking out multiple recordings of). Case in point (as I've mentioned before): Karajan's Alpensinfonie, the live performance of which (made less than a year after the album, iirc) (from Salzburg) has only been published by some obscure Japanese label, although it's amazing and I'd buy it in a heartbeat. But they already had a studio recording by the same orchestra and conductor, so whoever had the rights to it (DG or some other label) probably didn't think it worth releasing.

Fair enough, but in a digital era, how difficult could it be for them to just slap it all on Spotify and Presto? I'm not even demanding a physical release (well, I am, but, you know...), just make it available.

3 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

…and the concerto. Plus overlap with the Berlin concert.

He didn't perform the Concerto in Vienna in 2020. The question was about concerts in Vienna in 2020 and 2022. Or at least that's how I understood it.

39 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

He didn't perform the Concerto in Vienna in 2020. The question was about concerts in Vienna in 2020 and 2022. Or at least that's how I understood it.

True. There's overlap with Vienna I, Boston (and Tanglewood), and Berlin. My mind just lumped the first two (or three) together.

15 hours ago, Tydirium said:

What's with the tuba at 2:13 of March of the Resistance? The top note of that two-note figure is a half-step lower than it usually is...

That's the "Viennese sound".

Below news item sounds like DG is done with JW in Vienna...or does a "series of singles" imply that there will be a full album one day?

John Williams | News | John Williams in Vienna: Neue Single zum Geburtstag des Filmkomponisten (deutschegrammophon.com)

translated into Googlish:

02/08/2023

Shortly before John Williams' 91st birthday, a new single will be released, which comes from the well-known film "Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens". The "March of Resistance" was recorded again in March 2022 together with the Vienna Philharmonic. The concert follows the success of the 2020 concerts, which were recognized as a recording of the best-selling orchestral album of 2020. The resulting recording, John Williams in Vienna, presented a wide selection of classic Williams soundtracks, with Anne-Sophie Mutter performing a virtuosic series of works written especially for her by the composer. The success of the album could only be topped with his current album “The Berlin Concert”, recorded with the Berlin Philharmonic.

Star Wars: March of the Resistance
After the album went gold in Germany in 2022, Williams reunited with the Vienna Philharmonic in Vienna in March this year. There they re-recorded three singles: The "March of Resistance" is now available as the third and last single from the series alongside "Fawkes the Phoenix" from the film "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" and "Sound the Bells!". The brass-driven march is given a dramatic signature by Williams, underscoring the heroic deeds of the film's protagonists.

Now the film composer, who brought numerous well-known films to life with his wonderful film music, can celebrate his birthday and his numerous awards and albums. Congratulations John Williams!

Help us Deutsche Grammophon...

200.gif

From DG's website:

"It’s a stretch to brand this recording as anything wildly ‘new’ simply because it ’s played on period instruments, but it ’s still a good performance from Elena Urioste and Chineke!"

So JW should have gotten the VPO to play on period instruments.

DEUTSCHE Grammophon probably want The Berlin Concert to stand out.

I wonder what would happen if JW returned to Berlin...would we be getting the next series of digital singles or a proper album?

Are digital singles really that profitable?

DG are in the process of losing their fastidious clients. The remaining streaming crowd will no longer invest in long-lasting quality. I predict that in a couple of years, DG will be bought up by YouTube.

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

So JW should have gotten the VPO to play on period instruments.

I thought the VPO was made up of period instruments...I mean timps without pedals, horns that fall apart, vintage wood winds that can't be used as Nimbus 2000.

8 hours ago, BB-8 said:

If there weren't a full album they wouldn't be called singles, would they.

Music history is full of singles that were never on an album.