John Williams returns to Vienna! March 12/13 2022

crlbrg

The program is great and I would love to attend. But this is nice to have for me. I never expected to see the man live. Now I did and I am immensly grateful. So, if this is possible again at a reasonable price without too much risks from pandemic point of view, I will go for it. 

18 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

The program is great and I would love to attend. But this is nice to have for me. I never expected to see the man live. Now I did and I am immensly grateful. So, if this is possible again at a reasonable price without too much risks from pandemic point of view, I will go for it. 

Currently 2G in Vienna...[edit] Berlin last year October was 3G

EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 5, 2022, THE FOLLOWING ADMISSION RULE WILL APPLY TO ALL EVENTS AT THE MUSIKVEREIN UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE:

• 2G Regulation = at least 2 Vaccinations or Recovered (events with 51 to 2000 people).

Musikverein - Corona regulations

4 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

Currently 2G in Vienna...like last October in Berlin :-)

FFP2 masks are also mandatory. Be sure to check your vaccination status, because "valid" vaccine brands and expiration dates currently aren't the same in every country.

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I was wondering if this is still happening, and when. Now the question is again: Get a Musikfreunde membership so I can buy tickets tomorrow, or wait until Thursday?

Ditto, will there be tickets available on Thursday?

Is it too late anyhow to renew membership or does that activate immediately?

And when would it go on sale exactly tomorrow?

53 minutes ago, Amer said:

I wish he would play "Irina's Theme" from Crytsal Skull instead of Marion's Theme or the revised 'Han Solo and The Princess'

Star Wars 9, please!

Nothing against BfG either.

Hope Fawks doesn't turn into Nimbus 2000 - would be too much doubling with BPO.

18 minutes ago, fommes said:

Ditto, will there be tickets available on Thursday?

Is it too late anyhow to renew membership or does that activate immediately?

And when would it go on sale exactly tomorrow?

Ticket office opens at 9:00 CET (GMT+1) tomorrow, that's when tickets go on sale for members. Same time Thursday for non-members. As far as I know/remember, membership is active immediately once purchased online.

I'll probably get a new membership myself and go to the ticket office tomorrow morning. It's hard to say how sales will go compared to last time - the violin concerto may appeal to fewer people, plus COVID - but I'd rather not risk anything.

4 hours ago, Henry Sítrónu said:

here's the source of the program btw... ;) and yes, the passive aggressive tone is intentional. (: 

https://www.wienerphilharmoniker.at/de/konzerte/the-music-of-john-williams/10195/

6 hours ago, BB-8 said:

1 minute ago, May the Force be with You said:

Whishlist for the Encores:

1. Suite from The Rise of Skywalker
  2. The Long Goodbye for Violin
  3. The Imperial March (which is obvious...)

TROS would be welcome, of course. And whatever new Mutter pieces he might have come up with in the meantime. After Vienna 1 and Berlin, I'd rather not have the Raiders' March again (it wouldn't be as good as in Berlin), and I could even do without the Imperial March (Vienna 1 would be hard to top anyway). And please no more of the mutilated Luke and Leia.

Rey's Theme with Mutter would be a fitting encore. I still haven't heard that live, in any shape or form.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

What ever happened to the original piece that Williams composed for the Vienna Philharmonic?  The processional or fanfare or whatever.

That was written for the Philharmonikerball, which was cancelled for the second time in a row this year because of COVID. Hopefully next year. I wouldn't expect them to premiere that in the concert, but who knows (I don't really know how this stuff works).

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Rey's Theme with Mutter would be a fitting encore. I still haven't heard that live, in any shape or form.

Rey's Theme would be perfect. About the Imperial March it's just that I don't think Williams can make a concert without playing it once

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

What?

The shortened Luke and Leia he's been conducting for years. It's missing the middle part and just sounds awkward and repetitive. And I've heard it often enough by now.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

What ever happened to the original piece that Williams composed for the Vienna Philharmonic?  The processional or fanfare or whatever.

That one instead of Sound the Bells would be logical.

3 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The shortened Luke and Leia he's been conducting for years. It's missing the middle part and just sounds awkward and repetitive. And I've heard it often enough by now.

Ok, I thought you were referring to the performance.

2 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

That one instead of Sound the Bells would be logical.

Perhaps he's repurposed Sound the Bells...

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

That's for the final of the Vienna Trilogy

17 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Rey's Theme would be perfect. About the Imperial March it's just that I don't think Williams can make a concert without playing it once

I thought, Williams didn't plan to play the Imperial March in Vienna, but it was a request from the orchestra to play it.

2 minutes ago, PetePan said:

Where can I find how much the admission prices are? 

On the website, tomorrow. Nothing official before that I think, but I'd expect them to be similar to last time.

1 minute ago, GerateWohl said:
20 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

I thought, Williams didn't plan to play the Imperial March in Vienna, but it was a request from the orchestra to play it.

Yes. Even though he wanted to, he couldn't make the concert without it.

1 minute ago, GerateWohl said:

Didn't said that Williams wanted it, just that he always has to performed it. It's like for the Rolling Stones, there can't be a concert without Satisfaction that's the way it is... ;)

7 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

On the website, tomorrow. Nothing official before that I think, but I'd expect them to be similar to last time.

Do you know how much those prices were approximately?

58 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

That fanfare is specifically set to debut at their annual ball, which has already been postponed a couple times: 

33 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Didn't said that Williams wanted it, just that he always has to performed it. It's like for the Rolling Stones, there can't be a concert without Satisfaction that's the way it is... ;)

He didn't perform it at his 1998 London concerts. No Superman either. 

What will they call the new album?

JOHN WILLIAMS CELEBRATES HIS BIRTHDAY IN VIENNA?

Actually, thinking about it, it's also relatively likely that it won't be released as an album at all, right?

How was the violin concerto actually planned to be published???

Oh man, this news raises so many issues ...

7 minutes ago, Michael G. said:

Actually, thinking about it, it's also relatively likely that it won't be released as an album at all, right?

What makes you say that? I'd guess they'll monetise the hell out of this concert, just like the previous one! It sold like gangbusters, to the point it's still hard to find stock.

"The Return of Oma Tres"

"The Adventures of Mutter"

"The Geiger Sanction"

"Amistrad"

"Hotel Imperial, March 2022"

2 minutes ago, PetePan said:

Well, I just became a member of the Musikverein Wien...:rock: