John Williams returns to Vienna! March 12/13 2022

crlbrg

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

No, it was this year.  Vienna figured with the remake of WWS, they would have Bernstein conduct--you know, to commemorate the resurrection of his career.

Not just his career!

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

His Columbia catalog is the foundation of his recording legacy.

Without doubt both in terms of the playing and also the variety of the repertoire.

I do like some of his early recordings with the Israeli Philharmonic too. Probably not as sharp as the NY Orchestras, but Lenny seemed to love being with them. 

On 20/02/2022 at 9:42 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Hmm. The last time that JW was live, in Vienna? A few months ago. The last time that JW was live, in London? 1998.

What's wrong with this picture?

This may seem unfair, but consider that here in Vienna, we have been deprived of the majesty of Dirk Brossé's conducting for decades now. 

He has written a nice little piece as a tribute to Vienna though, which makes us all a little less depressed about our complete lack of Brossé:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/HYZFv

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

#stubait

It’s true.  I love that WSS album and I had no idea that was a controversial opinion until like last year when it came up here.  The Carreras “Maria” can make me cry if I’ve had a drink or two.

I don't really see how behind-the-scenes drama should have any bearing on one's assessment of the final product.  Carreras gave some beautiful performances on that album, especially in "Maria" and the Balcony sequence.

And the performances of the studio musicians are wonderful.  It remains my go-to for WSS and I can't see it being replaced.

Without going into politics beyond what would directly affect these concerts, I don't see any particular reason for Williams to avoid or boycott Austria at this point any more or less than any other average Central European/EU country.

I have got a single seat for Sunday March 13th performance - great seat - Parterre-Loge Links - Row 3. Need to sell it for cost - 240 EUR or best offer. It's electronic ticket and we can do payment via secure PayPal set up (buyer's protection). PM me if interested!

1 hour ago, wickerman said:

I have got a single seat for Sunday March 13th performance - great seat - Parterre-Loge Links - Row 3. Need to sell it for cost - 240 EUR or best offer. It's electronic ticket and we can do payment via secure PayPal set up (buyer's protection). PM me if 

On 23/02/2022 at 12:33 PM, Sam Bova said:

I have been on the waiting list for the John Williams concert in Vienna March 12/13. I have never wanted anything more in my life -- I am uniquely situated to be able to attend since I am currently studying abroad. If there is any possibility of a re-sale ticket I would love to hear it. I would be willing to be pay whatever it takes. My email is sabova@syr.edu. Thank you! 

So do we think Fabelmans must be recording by now? Surely Williams needs to knock off those sessions before departing to Vienna. 

I wonder if he's allowing any spare time to sightsee on this trip? I can imagine his writing schedule will be relentless once he returns to LA. 

It's probably recording this week, yea. I doubt he'd go to Vienna before it was done. 

23 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

Just screening the net for any news on JW in Vienna and randomly encountered this portfolio from 2020:

http://www.bfmi.at/gallery_2020.html#carousel-captions-42

image.png

Gosh it's strange seeing photos like this after living through COVID for 2 years!

After all, why worry about it since it is currently totally safe for an American to travel to Austria!

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Austria.html

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

After all, why worry about it since it is currently totally safe for an American to travel to Austria!

The COVID situation is a mess, but that's been a constant for weeks. ICUs loads are under control, so officials act like everything is fine, and on Saturday most restrictions will be lifted, while regular hospitalisations have been continually rising and are expected to (hopefully) peak this weekend. Luckily, Vienna is sticking to stricter rules, and 3G certificates and FFP2 masks are still mandatory in concerts. I don't think Williams has much to worry about, but I would avoid restaurants and pubs in his place (but I expect he would do that anyway).

I wonder what and where John Williams eats when he's on the road.  You never see any reports of him at a restaurant or anything, ya know?

At his age he surely mostly eat at lunch (at noon), and eat very lightly at dinner in the evening.

Well that's the trick to live long it seems!

On March 17th, Anne Sophie Mutter will perform at a Ukraine benefit concert in Dortmund. Wouldn't surprise me if they pay attention to it in Vienna as well.