Happy 90th Birthday John Williams! The Official Nonagenarian Thread

crumbs

La-La Land Records Presents!

JOHN WILLIAMS BIRTHDAY SALE!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN WILLIAMS! The Maestro is 90 and we're celebrating with $5 OFF each of our IN-STOCK John Williams CD titles! Get FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, SUPERMAN THE MOVIE, SUPERMAN IV THE QUEST FOR PEACE, MINORITY REPORT, FAR & AWAY, ALWAYS, SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, A.I. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, TIME TUNNEL Vol 1 and TIME TUNNEL Vol 2 at a $5 OFF sale price now thru 2/15.

If only the LLL sale was 90% off for his 90th birthday :lol:

Ninety years old and going as strong as ever before. It's a beautiful and astounding thing. JW, the éminence grise of film music, the ne plus ultra of his field. I feel certain no other composer will ever achieve what he has achieved over the course of a career as varied and comprehensive as his. He is the best example I can think of what hard work and an unfailingly generous spirit can earn you; as ideal a role model for human behavior as there ever existed.

My all time favourite experience with JWFan is being part of our collective experience with The Force Awakens score when it was released. I was lucky to be off work that week so I was spending hours and hours with that score and on this site. So many of us went on a journey from slight disappointment to recognising how great it actually is, and it was incredible to be part of that journey in real time with others on this site.

Loving the festive atmosphere in Film Score Land today!  

@Jay posted this fantastic NYT piece at FSM, which I haven't seen here yet:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/08/arts/music/john-williams-hollywood-film.html

Sadly but understandably, it says Williams plans to focus on concert work after Fabelmans and Indy 5, but it's chock-full of interesting stuff!  (Of course, it also says he has a hard time saying no to Spielberg, so here's hoping we get that Western!)

EDIT: Aaaaaaand there's a whole thread about that article.  Hey, I'm also doing work, OK?

5 hours ago, Henry Sítrónu said:

😶

This is literally the goofiest thing i've ever seen. I feel like its something Michael Scott would have pulled in the middle of an Office Episode

Happy happy birthday Maestro!! It's been great seeing all the love for him pour out on the Internet, and see all the many many lives he's touched.

Looking forward to many more years of his magic.

9 hours ago, Henry Sítrónu said:

😶

Wow. Not a piece I ever thought I'd see live. Do people even know what this IS anymore?

12 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Lovely. Thank you so much. Who is the fellow sitting next to Williams at 2:26 with the mustache and glasses? (I hope this isn't going to turn out to be a stupid question.)

Ken Wannberg.

The play button on this embed will take you right to the part of the TESB documentary that's taken from.

22 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Beautiful video. I don't know how often I heard or read in all these articles or videos during the past week about Williams'  five academy award wins and what a great achievement that is. That's true, but I still think, it is almost ridiculous that he didn't win more of his 52 nominations. Looking at the works that outdid him in some of these years it is sometimes hard to comprehend the accademy's choices. But I don't want to get negative here. Was just a thought, that crossed my mind sometimes these days.

10 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Beautiful video. I don't know how often I heard or read in all these articles or videos during the past week about Williams'  five academy award wins and what a great achievement that is. That's true, but I still think, it is almost ridiculous that he didn't win more of his 52 nominations. Looking at the works that outdid him in some of these years it is sometimes hard to comprehend the accademy's choices. But I don't want to get negative here. Was just a thought, that crossed my mind sometimes these days.

Yes, some odd loses. However, I think him winning the AFI life achievement award, and being the first composer to do so, trumps a whole slew of Oscar wins and/or losses (depending on which you focus).  It is an unparalleled honor.  My guess is that in the next fifty years, one composer (at best) will receive it.  

On 08/02/2022 at 11:51 AM, Jay said:

OMG - Very funny story from Lukas Kendall!

https://www.lukaskendall.com/post/john-williams-90th-birthday

And he looked at me with such withering contempt, right back in the eyes

I know he's actually contemplatively regarding Spielberg here, but this was definitely the face:

cqADp1M.gif

People only ever use those cool words for what decade you’re in for old people (octogenarian, nonagenarian).  The next time someone asks me my age I’ll just say “I’m a tricenarian” 

Spoiler

2156AEBA-F55A-4916-AA7B-F06797BE800D.jpeg

5 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Isn't there a version like that on the Return of the Jedi Special Edition soundtrack?

Okay, I'll pretend you never mentioned that!

17 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Isn't there a version like that on the Return of the Jedi Special Edition soundtrack?

Nearly... on disc 4 of the Star Wars anthology boxed set, there's a version of the Ewok Celebration without the Ewok chanting (just the orchestra and the chorus) which segues into the "film version" of the end credits from Empire. I think the key difference is that the Imperial March is slightly different, it also doesn't have the horrible edit that plagues the version on the actual Empire disc (one of the things the Special Edition did fix).