Happy 90th Birthday John Williams! The Official Nonagenarian Thread

crumbs

3 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I just recalled that my first contact with JW's scores where with this two audiobooks (in french!), even before the movies (because I was a child at the time).

Dominique Paturel – La Guerre Des Étoiles (1981, Audio Book, Moulded  Labels, Vinyl) - Discogs

Guardians of the Toilets?

On 11/02/2022 at 7:16 PM, Bespin said:

I just recalled that my first contact with JW's scores where with this two audiobooks (in french!).

I listened to them a long time before I could actually saw the movies on TV, because I was too young!!!

Dominique Paturel – La Guerre Des Étoiles (1981, Audio Book, Moulded  Labels, Vinyl) - Discogs

Incredible!!!

I had those in English - they were ridiculously short. Even as  a child, I preferred the epic Williams score without the distraction from the narrator.

On 08/02/2022 at 6:11 PM, Jay said:

Here is a picture of a time a bunch of JWFanners attended a John Williams concert in Boston, Massachusetts, at Symphony Hall, in the summer of 2013

stefan1.jpg

That's me on the far right holding the booklet to the first soundtrack album I ever bought.  On the left you can see @#SnowyVernalSpringsEternal, @JWfangirl1992, @josefsuma, @Damien F, and @Joe Brausam

Steef got his Phantom Menace LP signed that evening

stefan2.jpg

That was a fun night!

• 2 months later...

Happy Star Wars Day! I just realized that scoring Star Wars now officially marks the exact midpoint of Williams’ life!!

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Didn't know that Rosenthal was still active, that's impressing

Sure is. Not only did he work on the recent Ghent recording, he also travelled to Belgium to receive his lifetime achievement award last year. He looks surprisingly sprightly for a man who's almost 100.

I said to my mom a few days ago that it was John Williams's birthday. Her first response was "who?", but then she thought it was that guy who died a few years ago (she was thinking of James Horner).

Then, I decided to put some John Williams music on - if she didn't know the name, she'd surely recognize his music right? Problem is, when I said "Alexa, play John Williams", instead of playing, I dunno, the Star Wars theme, the Raiders March or Harry's Wondrous World or whatever, it played this:

Not a bad piece... But also, not quite the most John Williams-like piece :lol: I imagine it was Alexa looking at my IP address and imagining I was looking for a more Brazilian piece.