New article on JW on Variety: 'The Fabelmans' confirmed, recording next month

TownerFan

Damn if Disney announced in the next 24 hours the complete Star Wars expansion by MM I going to question the very reality of this day!!!

Can't wait to hear this upcoming masterpiece

The interesting thing to consider is:

With the news that he will be conducting in Vienna, Austria on March 12th and 13th, do we think he's scheduled to record The Fabelmans in LA before, or after, that trip?

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

The interesting thing to consider is:

With the news that he will be conducting in Vienna, Austria on March 12th and 13th, do we think he's scheduled to record The Fabelmans in LA before, or after, that trip?

1 minute ago, Steve said:

First the Berlin Blueray, then the Vienna concerts, then the Fabelmans confirmation....all within 3 days. What an exciting time to be a Williams-Fan :)

I'm finding it hard to keep up. Berlin seems like yesterday. Vienna is about in a months time.

6 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

I'm finding it hard to keep up. Berlin seems like yesterday. Vienna is about in a months time.

Yes, same here. I wish the concerts would be in April or May. It may be a bit too soon for me.

2 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Really cool that this is the 27th Spielberg movie that Williams scores. What a number!

That list is missing The BFG and The Post, so The Fabelmans is actually number 29!

Spielberg's most personal film wouldn't have felt complete without Williams. Fantastic news.

22 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Do we know what are Spielberg's future plans after The Fabelmans?

Though it's in pretty whimsical terms, he recently mentioned in December of last year how he'd like to tackle a Western at some point:

"I was asked that question over the last forty years of my career, if not longer, and I always said a musical was the one thing I haven't done," the director replied. "The thing I neglected to say, which I've never done, and the one genre that I haven't really tackled yet, is the Western. So, who knows, maybe I'll be putting on spurs someday, who knows?"

He added: "I got a few in development right now, but who's to say which one will spring to the forefront."

14 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Do we know what are Spielberg's future plans after The Fabelmans?

I don't think there's anything official. He could always go back to something like Edgardo Mortara, but usually it just ends up being something nobody saw coming. 

I know that Williams canceled his plans to conduct the CSO in June due to a film scheduling conflict, what could this be if he’s recording Fabelmans next month? 

25 minutes ago, D_nev said:

This early?

Williams mentioned in Berlin, I think, that he was about to start on it and they're on the verge of completing filming as far as I know, so I think JW's already met with James Mangold and possibly gotten some sequences to look at. 

They were definitely on track to deliver this summer and Disney only delayed it due to reshuffling their release schedule so they may finish post-production way ahead of July 2023. I suppose they could carry it to the end of this year to take advantage of the extra time. 

1 minute ago, mrbellamy said:

Williams mentioned in Berlin, I think, that he was about to start on it and they're on the verge of completing filming as far as I know, so I think JW's already met with James Mangold and possibly gotten some sequences to look at. 

They were definitely on track to deliver this summer and Disney only delayed it due to reshuffling their release schedule so they may finish post-production way ahead of July 2023.

That makes a lot of sense!

Either way, this is very exciting news indeed

10 minutes ago, D_nev said:

This early?

Yes

The delaying of the film for a year does not instantly create another 12 months of post-production budget.  Everyone working on the film needs to get this thing in the can by the summer and move on to their next assignments, and then Paramount will just not release it until next summer.

Universal just did the same thing with Jurassic World 3

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Yes

The delaying of the film for a year does not instantly create another 12 months of post-production budget.  Everyone working on the film needs to get this thing in the can by the summer, and then Paramount will juts not release it until next summer.

I wasn't aware of this delay of release, that is why I acted surprised. I know how film budgets work:)

Just now, Jay said:

You never know!

Seems like more and more studios are doing that these days!

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea

The delaying of hte film for a year does not instantly create another 12 months of post-production budget.  Everyone working on the film needs to get this thing in the can by the summer, and then Paramount will juts not release it until next summer.

Yeah but sometimes they'll go a little extra past the original date just to cross i's and dot t's, they've got spare change 

I'll be kinda surprised if it's not finished in 2022. 

7 minutes ago, D_nev said:

I wasn't aware of this delay of release

When they began filming the movie in June of 2021, it had a released date of July 29, 2022.

In October of 2021, they announced that the release date was changing to June 30, 2023.

Either way JW would have written and recorded the score in the first half of 2022.  Previously it would have had a deadline of sometime in early July.  Now, they will probably continue post-production into August or September, somewhere around there.

5 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I'll be kinda surprised if it's not finished in 2022. 

The film will be finished in 2022, that was the entire point of my post.

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

When they began filming the movie in June of 2021, it had a released date of July 29, 2022.

In October of 2021, they announced that the release date was changing to June 30, 2023.

Either way JW would have written and recorded the score in the first half of 2022.  Previously it would have had a deadline of sometime in early July.  Now, they will probably continue post-production into August or September, somewhere around there.

I haven't really been following the development of the new indy film in any detail, so I am not surprised I missed this! Thanks for the clarification!

4 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

So something like The Fabelmans and End Credits would be a (highly theoretical) possibility for an encore in Vienna…

No, it's definitely gonna be "The Fabelmans Scene."

9 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Spielberg's most personal film wouldn't have felt complete without Williams. Fantastic news.

I definitely felt this way as soon as the movie was announced that this one in particular would really sting without John Williams. It'd feel kinda dirty for it to be anybody else scoring Spielberg's life story.

Wow - what great news along with getting my copy of The Berlin Concert today and getting to watch the first half while getting to dream about Live in Vienna 2 coming out some day. Golly.

It's JW's birthday. We get gifts!