New article on JW on Variety: 'The Fabelmans' confirmed, recording next month

TownerFan

13 hours ago, Jay said:

If Spielberg makes a film that comes out in 2024 that Johnny scores, their 30th feature film collaboration will happen on the 50th anniversary of their first one

What a nice date to release the complete score produced by Michael Mattesino!

Oh Wait, what was the name of the film, again? :sarcasm:

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Amarcord is the most obvious precedent.

It was a director (Fellini) making an autobiographical film about his childhood scored by his longtime musical collaborator and close friend (Nino Rota).

Amarcord was a mixture of highly fictionalized recollections from both Fellini and writer Tonino Guerra, who wrote the film with him. Actually, some people think that most of the stuff actually comes from Guerra, with Fellini putting his own stamp into it.

In this regard, it will be interesting to see if Kushner has inserted some autobiographical stuff of his own into the mix.

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Amarcord is the most obvious precedent.

It was a director (Fellini) making an autobiographical film about his childhood scored by his longtime musical collaborator and close friend (Nino Rota).

I was about to ask if anyone knew of any other time this had happened. It still feels different with these two collaborators. Maybe it's merely more personal to me but it feels like a very intimate score. I can't imagine how special these sessions with Spielberg and Williams at the piano were.

I'm expecting a score like THE BFG and THE BOOK THIEF, but I'm hoping for a score like ANGELA'S ASHES, STANLEY & IRIS, THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST etc.

2 hours ago, blondheim said:

I was about to ask if anyone knew of any other time this had happened. It still feels different with these two collaborators. Maybe it's merely more personal to me but it feels like a very intimate score. I can't imagine how special these sessions with Spielberg and Williams at the piano were.

Why are you crying Steven?  

That music is so harsh and dissonant?  Why would you write that about me?

Oh, my mistake.  I am also working on a proper piano concerto.  Assistant, get me my movie notes.  

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

In all fairness, Abrams must have had Disney breathing on his neck like we couldn't imagine.

True, but RJ seemed to have an extremely smooth post-production, and this was his first blockbuster.

He directed two Star Trek movies - Justin Lin directed the third (and it came out after TFA anyway) 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

True, but RJ seemed to have an extremely smooth post-production, and this was his first blockbuster.

That's why I'm thinking the production of ROS must have a nightmare, with the suits wanting to "fix" as much as possible in the smallest amount of time possible.

5 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Fincher didn’t want it, Brad Bird didn’t want it, they were asked. Probably other auteurs they might have met were too wise to keep out of it. JJ’s a friendly guy and a studio professional, probably easy to work with under high pressure. He had three movies with a fourth on deck which looks small but 3/4 of those cost over $100 million and were successful. Trek 09 was about as much of a 1:1 Star Wars audition on paper as anyone had made. He writes and produces, he’d been in the business 20+ years. He was a good combo of a pretty steady veteran and somebody young enough to try to give it a different energy. We can shit on his taste or methods or whatever but he was a completely understandable choice, it’s not like some big mystery box. 

But you cannot finalize a 40 year nine movie saga with mystery boxes. And all you wrote does not justify the decision to let him write the movie.

8 hours ago, Alex said:

I heard, he partly let Williams record the music in advance and edited then the movie to it.

43 minutes ago, Gurkensalat said:

My personal dream would be that to be a second Tintin movie, assuming that Jackson has no interested in it any more. It would allow Williams IMO best qualities to shine once more 

Agreed. And seeing as he has programmed The Duel twice in concert, one can hope that he looks back fondly on the movie and its music and would give serious consideration to composing for a sequel. 

1 hour ago, Gurkensalat said:

My personal dream would be that to be a second Tintin movie

The first film's mo-cap was "filmed" from January to March 2009, and the film released in October of 2011, just shy of 3 full years later.  There's no way the next Tintin film is coming out in 2024 unless they've secret already filmed it.

1 minute ago, Alex said:

So he’s going home to finish up The Fabelmans. Spielberg must have been sweating as his 90 year old composer travelled half way across the world and back, leaving a half written score.

Perhaps it's fully written and just not yet recorded.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Apparently, nobody even bothered to tell him the title.

The last time someone referred to a title as undetermined: 

On 14/03/2022 at 12:11 PM, Alex said:

Abrams had to open the trilogy and end it, which is no easy task. I know people like to pile shit on him, but I couldn't imagine any director put in such a delicate situation where the fandom was holding their balls in a vice, and KK and Disney holding a gun to their backs would turn out ok...

19 hours ago, Jay said:

The first film's mo-cap was "filmed" from January to March 2009, and the film released in October of 2011, just shy of 3 full years later.  There's no way the next Tintin film is coming out in 2024 unless they've secret already filmed it.

Technology has advanced in the last 13 years; perhaps it would be possible to do the rendering in shorter time now.