New article in The New York Times on John Williams - says he will soon step away from film projects

Aliandra

How many times before has Williams says he plans to back away from film scores...? I'm sure he'll keep working for Spielberg. I mean, they're probably not going to be blockbuster movies anyway.

So many feelings. More than any other article/interview I can think of, this one reads like the appraisal of a whole life. Beautiful, and sad. And that's even before the article gets to its end.

Isn't that the closest to an officiel retirement (from film scoring) anouncement we've ever gotten? I'm counting on Spielberg to get a few more fil scores out of him!

19 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Here's the real great news from the article

Oh yes yes yes!

That was exactly my reaction too! 

A JW piano concerto, as confirmed as we've ever had a piece of classical music confirmed from him. I cannot wait.

As others and the article have said, it's hard to imagine JW actually saying "No" to Spielberg while he's healthy and able.  So I would also be very surprised if there wasn't one more Spielberg score after Fabelmans.

Maybe I"m not using the right adblockers but I can't even read the article without paying, how are you all reading this?

My dad is a horticulturist who has special expertise in camellias (seriously, he has over 100 planted around his property) so I happily sent along that last photo of John standing in front of those gorgeous camellia shrubs.

6 minutes ago, Chewy said:

merlin_201145770_674abe51-cf75-4257-b21c-a717e15b05d3-superJumbo.jpg

Is this the first time we've seen the inside of one of his leather-bound score books?  And what cue is that?

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Is this the first time we've seen the inside of one of his leather-bound score books?  And what cue is that?

The caption for that photo:

Williams pointing to a sketch of a Tyrannosaurus rex chase scene from “Jurassic Park.”

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

And what cue is that?

"R____ version with Bars 4 and 6 without Accompaniment" is all I can make out on top.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Williams pointing to a sketch of a Tyrannosaurus rex chase scene from “Jurassic Park.”

1 minute ago, Holko said:

"R____ version with Bars 4 and 6 without Accompaniment" is all I can make out on top.

Hmmm I do recall someone saying once that cue has something in the sheets that wasn't in the recorded version near the beginning I think...

Thomas Newman said that Indiana Jones is maybe his favorite Williams score.

Newman also talked about a score moment in Jaws that influenced and stayed with him: "I do remember in Jaws, there was a scene where Roy Scheider is kind of having a little moment at a breakfast table with his kid and they are kind of mimicking each other - and I remember this kind of lydian, little phrase, it was just this lift, it didn't do much, but it just lifted the space into this kind childlike wonder. I remember really liking that as a young man starting out, what that had done was not trying very hard to do much, but accomplishing so much at the same time, and that was a small, but really valuable lesson to me."

Haha, Newman has really a thing for film music that is "not working too hard" (to use his saying) xD

2 hours ago, Falstaft said:

And underneath, two copies of the Gabrieli Brass's recording that includes "Music for Brass."

And, best of all, this sandcrawler?

image.png

I so love this. We made a similar model at home last year...

sandy.jpg

Williams recalled a recent pilgrimage to St. Thomas Church in Leipzig, Germany, where Bach once worked as a cantor. He listened intently as a pastor described the efforts to protect the great composer’s remains during World War II; he marveled at the dedication to preserving Bach’s legacy.

On his way out of the church, he paused. An organist was filling the grand space with the hymn-like theme from “Jurassic Park.”

Williams, beaming, turned to the pastor.

“Now,” he said, “I can die.”

Aww.

In 2001, moments before Ma was to begin a recording session of “Elegy,” a piece for cello and orchestra, he recalled that Williams told him he had written the music in honor of two children who had been murdered.

Those children were murdered? Oh my god.. I always thought they died in a car accident.