New article in The New York Times on John Williams - says he will soon step away from film projects

Aliandra

On 09/02/2022 at 6:41 PM, lairdo said:

I am guessing this is an early model for the Copland bust Williams donated to Tanglewood which sits in the garden area where Copland's ashes were spread after he passed away. Williams donated the bust by artist Penelope Jencks in 2011. At the time of the linked article below, it was already announced that statues of Leonard Bernstein and Serge Koussevitzky would follow. And these indeed have happened in the intervening decade.

https://www.timesunion.com/entertainment/article/Fellow-composer-gives-Copland-bust-to-Tanglewood-2134376.php

Having seen all three pieces at Tanglewood, the Copland is the most moving giving its setting. Bernstein's bust is in Highwood House next to the restaurant there. Serge's is at the gates of Tanglewood which is a great place for it (as he founded Tanglewood when leader of the Boston Symphony), but on concert days, it's very busy. The Copland setting is very serene. All three pieces are great.

IMG_1654.jpeg

IMG_1623.jpeg

IMG_1630.jpeg

P1100155.JPG

jw2.jpg

14 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

It's weird, but I've never had any interest at all in film music concerts or recordings of suites with orchestras like the Pops.

Wish I did but....

I rarely have interest in concerts or re-recordings (unless I'm there in person) as they're usually just inferior recordings of the original. I don't have many Prague interpretations for this reason.

I never really cared much for his concertos but my dream is that he writes somekind of symphonic suites to some of his film music, of course writing  brand new music and new arrangements of existing themes

The Star Wars Symphony

6 hours ago, King Mark said:

I never really cared much for his concertos but my dream is that he writes somekind of symphonic suites to some of his film music, of course writing  brand new music and new arrangements of existing themes

The Star Wars Symphony

That would be incredible. I thought about that in past too. Star Wars surely would be the most fitting for that.

1 hour ago, Bryant Burnette said:

Prediction: The Fablemans will be the final film Williams scores, and he will win the Oscar for it.

Geez, that's a slightly grim prediction, given the implications.

I would love to hear a symphony of John Williams.

But please not patched together from his filmworks, and certainly not Star Wars.

Half of the fans would complain, because he left out their favourite parts, the other half would say, it does not do justice to the original material.

There is enough original material in Star Wars to work with. Williams does not have to write anything more. This plugging together could be done by someone else. Let William Ross put together Star Wars Symphony and take the blame.

3 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

Prediction: The Fablemans will be the final film Williams scores, and he will win the Oscar for it.

The Life-time Oscar is overdue.

In the interview of Sarah Willis by Maurizio and Tim Maurizio asked her, why she thinks Williams' music is not played more often in the concert hall, and she replied, that it might be difficult to to program that in combination with other orchestral pieces. 

And I think, part of that issue is the duration of those 4 to 10 minutes pieces. If there existed from Williams' scores suites with 20 to 40 minutes runtime, the length of a symphony, they would be easier to integrate into a normal classical program. 

Imagine and evening with Rachmaninow's Symphonic Dances and a 30 minutes suite of E.T. (including the OST version of Adventures on Earth of course)

I would love that.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

In the interview of Sarah Willis by Maurizio and Tim Maurizio asked her, why she thinks Williams' music is not played more often in the concert hall, and she replied, that it might be difficult to to program that in combination with other orchestral pieces. 

And I think, part of that issue is the duration of those 4 to 10 minutes pieces. If there existed from Williams' scores suites with 20 to 40 minutes runtime, the length of a symphony, they would be easier to integrate into a normal classical program. 

But for Star Wars (all of them) of all things, these suites do exist.

38 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

But for Star Wars (all of them) of all things, these suites do exist.

True. But there it is again not a suite in one to three movements but again just a collection of four to six short 3-6 minute pieces.

4 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

True. But there it is again not a suite in one to three movements but again just a collection of four to six short 3-6 minute pieces.

Like The Planets, which pose no problem to concert programming.

I think I can settle the debate about whether the original sketches are at JKMS and his binders store copy, vs his binders having the originals and JKMS having copies.

Here are three instagram posts by JKMS, which each have a right arrow you can click to see more images:

Harry Potter 1: https://www.instagram.com/p/CZugVIWv2xh/

Indiana Jones 3: https://www.instagram.com/p/CZxgMu7PvaD/

ET: https://www.instagram.com/p/CZzuDOzvcfL/

You can clearly see that JKMS absolutely has the originals - complete with roughed up edges, scotch tape, rips, folds, creases, tears, etc.

Which makes senses, they are paid by the production company that also paid for the score, to facilitate the paperwork needed for the muscians to play what they need to play, so he is delivering his sketches to them to turn into separate lines for each instrument group.

So, JW's binders are photocopies.

41 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think I can settle the debate about whether the original sketches are at JKMS and his binders store copy, vs his binders having the originals and JKMS having copies.

Here are three instagram posts by JKMS, which each have a right arrow you can click to see more images:

Harry Potter 1: https://www.instagram.com/p/CZugVIWv2xh/

Indiana Jones 3: https://www.instagram.com/p/CZxgMu7PvaD/

ET: https://www.instagram.com/p/CZzuDOzvcfL/

You can clearly see that JKMS absolutely has the originals - complete with ripped and folded bits, scotch tape, folds, creases, tears, etc.

Which makes senses, they are paid by the production company that also paid for the score, to facilitate the paperwork needed for the muscians to play what they need to play.

So, JW's binders are photocopies.

On the Indiana Jones 3-post you just linked to someone asked;

Do you keep photocopies or true original handwritten sketches? There was an article on the NYT the other day that showed Mr. Williams’ shelves at his home with bound volumes of his sketches at his home.

and the account (jkmsmusic) responded;

JW keeps his original sketches! Our library typically has scans of his sketches (typically written in pencil), original scores and original parts.

Huh, that completely contradicts the pictures shown; That one Indiana Jones one has a huge scotch tape section.

Unless.... it's a photocopy scotch-taped to a photocopy?  Maybe that would explain everything... maybe JW's handwritten originals never leave his house, and only photocopies get sent to JKMS?

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Huh, that completely contradicts the pictures shown; That one Indiana Jones one has a huge scotch tape section.

Unless.... it's a photocopy scotch-taped to a photocopy?  Maybe that would explain everything... maybe JW's handwritten originals never leave his house, and only photocopies get sent to JKMS?

I agree with you that they look like the original sketches in their photos and not copies!

On 09/02/2022 at 11:48 AM, bruce marshall said:

I guess part of the reason is

1. Spielberg isn't directing

2. The last INDY score was a real letdown.

But, maybe we will be surprised.

Both points are true for sure, but for both of them the counter argument could be "yeah, sure, but the last movie sucked".

Coming back to "Indy IV", it sure was a letdown compared not only to the previous Indy scores (which could have been expected), but also compared to all those great 2000 scores until then. "The Adventure of Mutt" was say... not a highlight. But if "Indy V" has at least its "Antz!" track, I'll be happy :)

Wow... I can understand Williams but is a sad news. I hope this is similar to the situation after Schindler's List when he retired. But, indeed, he's 90 and he should enjoy life doing whatever he wants.

I freely admit that while I appreciate his concert works and particularly love a handful, I always get most excited about a soundtrack. Of course I do. But I am genuinely anticipating a piano concerto. And I'm just grateful that he can end his film career on his own terms if he wants, that's a blessing. Fabelmans and Indy 5 are appropriate things to leave it on even if he lives to 100, although I hope Spielberg doesn't do anything that cool in the meantime lol. It's also always a little nerve-wracking to think of something being left unfinished. I still can't believe a third Star Wars trilogy by John Williams is already ancient history. 

10 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

It's also always a little nerve-wracking to think of something being left unfinished

A thought I hadn't admitted to until now: when the article mentioned that he was recording Fabelmans next month I couldn't help but think "oh thank goodness that means he's probably finished or just about finished writing the score so if the worst happens, they can still record the music he wrote"