New article in The New York Times on John Williams - says he will soon step away from film projects

Aliandra

Inside his studio on the back lot of Universal Studios Hollywood, Williams is surrounded by mementos: a miniature bust of Beethoven, vintage movie posters chosen by Spielberg

Such a sweet personal touch :rolleyes:

Upon reflection, it would be nice to have Williams leave the business on this own terms and schedule.  It is easy to loose sight of the fact that he is 90.  Literally 84% of men do not reach that age, and of those that do, most are not able to be as productive as Williams.  

Him saying that he will give up films to focus on concert music (at 90) strikes me as very funny, but I am not sure why--like the dude is trolling us somehow.  

5 hours ago, Aliandra said:

merlin_201145785_8bd7bae4-9a8e-4b50-abb8merlin_201145764_9123b1fa-76f6-427b-b6a3

Azkaban is misspelled! :eh: All respect lost.  Now I'm a Zimmer man.

1 hour ago, pete said:

Those children were murdered? Oh my god.. I always thought they died in a car accident. 

Yeah, the context for this piece is really horrific; no wonder it's not spelled out in the liner notes. Not for the faint of heart: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1997-02-24-me-31943-story.html

5 minutes ago, din_zav said:

Let's be honest, Hollywood nowadays can not produce films worthy and inspirational enough. Fablemans - well, maybe it would make a decent farewell, but Indiana 5 as well as SW 789 are just greedy overuses of too long franchises and they are far beneath his true level, it is a miracle he is still able to impress with such a poor material. 

There are exceptions.  A Spielberg film is one of them.  While he has not knocked one out of the park in recent years, they are always solid and have transcending moments--including (since we are on the topic) BFG.  I rewatched the movie recently, the dream country sequences are marvelous, both visually and musically.  

What an absolutely fantastic piece. So refreshingly candid and honest compared to the usual puff stuff.

This is also the first time I've seen him so explicitly and brazenly express his fatigue with film, which is completely understandable. In fact, I wish The Fablemans was his last film outing. Don't care too much for the Indiana Jones flick.

I look forward to hearing more of his concert output, where clearly most of his joy lies in these days.

What a class act and gentleman.

41 minutes ago, KK said:

This is also the first time I've seen him so explicitly and brazenly express his fatigue with film, which is completely understandable. In fact, I wish The Fablemans was his last film outing. Don't care too much for the Indiana Jones flick.

Just listen to them in reverse order and pretend it is ;)

I wish Johnny the best on his concert music, and of course he's earned the right a thousand times over to follow his muse wherever she leads him, but I hope he'll keep splitting the difference between films and concert pieces as he has been with pieces like the Mutter film arrangements, the Galaxy's Edge music, and the Overture to the Oscars (and, hopefully, the Vienna processional).  His genius and his legacy lie in accessible, tonal orchestral music.  I can't see anyone arguing against that.  (Let's be honest: whatever its merits, they won't be playing "Markings" at his funeral.) 

I would love to see him tackle some more classically programmatic music like a Shakespeare overture—or maybe something along the lines of Patrick Doyle's Impressions of America album.  Imagine his Harry Potter Children's Suite if the film rights had never been sold.

Hey for that matter, how about a tone poem based on The Catcher in the Rye?  It's not a straight-up adaptation; the Salinger heirs might go for it!  And if he's back in a Fifties mood, we might get some jazz out of him!

2 hours ago, crypto said:

So yeah, this is totally one of Mike's burned CD-Rs for JW to approve, isn't it? :)

mike cd.png

If I'm not mistaken, the text at the bottom says Disc 1 of 2. Text at the top appears to be 3 words?

Ahhh, the life of a JWFan... :lol:

There are highly sophisticated computer software that can decipher that😙

I know Williams only does Speilberg/Star Wars/Indy these days in his semi-retirement.

I am wondering if he might like the Solo model in the future perhaps? So he is asked to contribute 2-3 themes and 1-2 suites. And that's it. And then another composer runs with them and does the overall score. 

I think he might find it attractive. It is no different than writing for concert hall since he would in fact be writing JUST the concert suite.

We know most modern composers can't write good themes for shit (even the big name ones) and Williams can do so in his sleep. So this might be a great arrangement. 

I am sure this can work almost as an apprenticeship for young upcoming composers who would give their left kidney for a job like this - taking Williams themes and crafting a full score around them. 

3 hours ago, crypto said:

So yeah, this is totally one of Mike's burned CD-Rs for JW to approve, isn't it? :)

mike cd.png

If I'm not mistaken, the text at the bottom says Disc 1 of 2. Text at the top appears to be 3 words?

Ahhh, the life of a JWFan... :lol:

The Sugarland Express? The Accidental Tourist?

I’m just kidding; I don’t know.

6 hours ago, Falstaft said:

Yeah, the context for this piece is really horrific; no wonder it's not spelled out in the liner notes. Not for the faint of heart: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1997-02-24-me-31943-story.html

Wow, this is pretty horrific. I only knew the background for Elegy in vague terms. This makes the piece all the more tragic.

2 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I never get this mentality from fellow JWFans. I know you're as big of one as anybody. I can't take it seriously that you wish you weren't getting a John Williams score in 2023.

Well, to be fair, it was more of an off-hand statement not to be taken too seriously ;)

But if I were to explain the sentiment, it would be that there's a certain poetry to Williams final film work being with his greatest collaborator, on what sounds like the filmmaker's most personal project since Schinlder's List. Who could ask for a more beautiful farewell letter to this long and fruitful chapter in Williams' career?

Whereas the very existence of another Indiana Jones film reeks of more corporate interest to rake in that nostalgia money, and if we're being perfectly honest, probably not something Williams is very creatively interested in. Besides, I think we've been graced with enough Indy music for a lifetime. 

But yea, sure I am always down for more Williams. 

13 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I should also note that there is a well-worn copy of Walter Piston's text on orchestration sitting out on the shelf (Piston is another of my 5 favorite composers of all time along with Copland and Williams) :) 

When I met Howard Shore, I asked him what book an aspiring composer should read and he pointed me towards Walter Piston and the Fundamentals of Harmony.

30 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I can agree that there's something beautiful about Fabelmans as a last score which Indy 5 kinda spoils. It's less meaningful and I think the only reason he's still taking it as his obligation is because Harrison Ford's in it. I think that does mean something to JW and so I hope that sentiment can bear out in the score somewhere.

That's a really interesting thought because, honestly, after reading this it makes me all the more surprised that he actually is choosing to do Indy V, but that actually makes some sense. 

Well, how is this? Indy 5 is JW's last franchise movie.

Fabelman's is his last completely original movie score? (Can we already call this the frontrunner for the 2022 Original Score Oscar?)

So, two last scores. Everyone wins!

Until Spielberg makes him do a Michael Jordan and return to films.

2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I can agree that there's something beautiful about Fabelmans as a last score which Indy 5 kinda spoils. 

I'm not sure. If they approach the movie as a farewell to Indiana, it could go very nicely with it being JW's last film score. It could get emotional toward the end, though I hope more uplifting than the latest James Bond. Why not another ride into the sunset. 

15 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

Have we already had Stanley & Iris (Varese Sarabande)?

What's that DG record on top?

5b.jpg

Can't make it out, and it's so annoying!

The one below looks like a release by the label Centaur, which I know has released albums dedicated to Cole Porter.

8 minutes ago, eitam said:

I'm not sure. If they approach the movie as a farewell to Indiana, it could go very nicely with it being JW's last film score. It could get emotional toward the end, though I hope more uplifting than the latest James Bond. Why not another ride into the sunset. 

Absolutely. They said it would be the final film (for Ford, at least), one could imagine a terrific farewell cue to both Ford to Indy and Williams to film music. As much as I thought Episode IX was may be the least interesting of all SW scores, I am still excited for the final Indy,  a series whose episodic nature makes more easily room for new thematic material. Come on people, it's this or nothing in term of new film score, let's be excited!

17 minutes ago, Coco314 said:

Absolutely. They said it would be the final film (for Ford, at least), one could imagine a terrific farewell cue to both Ford to Indy and Williams to film music. As much as I thought Episode IX was may be the least interesting of all SW scores, I am still excited for the final Indy,  a series whose episodic nature makes more easily room for new thematic material. Come on people, it's this or nothing in term of new film score, let's be excited!

I guess part of the reason is

1. Spielberg isn't directing

2. The last INDY score was a real letdown.

But, maybe we will be surprised.

Look what Ennio came up with on HATEFUL 8!

6 minutes ago, crypto said:

Isn't it possible that he was so enamored by Mangold's vision that, despite his grievances with the state of the industry, despite knowing it would be a six month commitment at the age of 90, despite delaying his plan to exit the industry and focus on other passions, that he simply considered the film too good an opportunity to refuse?

All things considered, I actually can't think of a greater vote of confidence in James Mangold.

He scored The Rise of Skywalker. If he would make quality of scripts a precondition for his contribution, how bad does it have to be to not do it?