New article in The New York Times on John Williams - says he will soon step away from film projects

Aliandra

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

Guillaume Connesson Pour Sortir au Jour

Music is the key: junio 2016

Very cool to see JW keeping up with contemporary concert music releases.  Connesson is a great one too!

And he said he does not fear death; he sees life as a dream, at the end of which we awaken.

At first, I thought I'd be weeping after the headline, but the contentment with which Williams is re-starting his new pursuit of concert works composition is oddly comforting and satisfying.  This is a man who is not only still sharp as a tack, but has the wisdom and clarity we all should hope to have at the twilight of our years.  If John's new purpose is concert works, then I will be along for the ride.  I've been so laser focused on his film scores, it's an area of his career I'm ready to explore as well.

I wonder if he does "official" leather bindings for the smaller commissions, like the The Mission, Liberty Fanfare, For the President's Own, etc. and how he would organize that.  Certainly many composers throughout history have taken a very proactive role in organizing their own oeuvre (assigning opus numbers for example) while others take no role and leave it to music academics to decide if their oeuvre is worthy of cataloging.  Williams seems like he is very much in the latter camp.

Didn't he speak about donating all of his written scores to some institution (a university? a foundation?) a few years back? So they better look good!

22 hours ago, Jay said:

Holy crap, he wrote so much music for Azkaban, it requires three bound volumes!

I can't believe that he wrote that much more music than for all the other movies that can be seen. Perhaps for some reason he has 2 additional copies??

58 minutes ago, Jay said:

He's donating his original sketches to Julliard when he passes.

Yep. Announced in March 2018. 

Original JWfan post (https://www.jwfan.com/?p=10617) for those who did not know about this.

Love this quote:

“Since my earliest days as a fledgling piano student, I have looked up to The Juilliard School as the mecca for the study of music in our country and beyond,” Williams, 86, said at the event. “It’s therefore a privilege for me to donate my sketches, papers, and scores to Juilliard, to be made available to those students particularly interested in the intimate processes of film scoring.”

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nope, you can read Volume III on one of them. 

And it makes sense, there were a ton of alternates and inserts. An entire theme was rejected and replaced with a new one. 

You are correct, I did not look low enough. A shame, that a lot of this is probably not included in the Potter Box. Or perhaps even not recorded, who knows. Perhaps one day there will be a follow up with all the rejected music on a further CD or two....

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Imagine, in your head, right now, John Williams sat at a laptop trying to create his Spotify account.  :lol:

"What does it do? Can it connect??"

1 hour ago, Jay said:

These bound volumes contain photocopies.

I thought it was the other way around. The bound books contain the handwritten originals, while copies are stored at JAKMS.

JKMS and the bound volumes are both photocopies.

I dunno where the original sketches are kept

You can see a closeup of the inside of one of his leatherbound volumes here.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

JKMS and the bound volumes are both photocopies.

I dunno where the original sketches are kept

You can see a closeup of the inside of one of his leatherbound volumes here.

Yeah, that photo is what also made me think it's the original sketch. You can see red felt markers on it.

46 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Imagine, in your head, right now, John Williams sat at a laptop trying to create his Spotify account.  :lol:

I would think he would prefer Tidal. Easier to find classical and jazz pieces.

But heck, maybe he buys from Presto Music, and then he can listen to their app as well as enjoy the CDs? He's probably been tracking the shipping of his CD/Blu-ray Deluxe set like the rest of us.

The original sketches would have folds, creases, uneven sides, etc etc

The paper in these binders are perfectly uniform because they are nice photocopies.

3 minutes ago, lairdo said:

I am guessing this is an early model for the Copland bust Williams donated to Tanglewood which sits in the garden area where Copland's ashes were spread after he passed away. Williams donated the bust by artist Penelope Jencks in 2011. At the time of the linked article below, it was already announced that statues of Leonard Bernstein and Serge Koussevitzky would follow. And these indeed have happened in the intervening decade.

https://www.timesunion.com/entertainment/article/Fellow-composer-gives-Copland-bust-to-Tanglewood-2134376.php

Having seen all three pieces at Tanglewood, the Copland is the most moving giving its setting. Bernstein's bust is in Highwood House next to the restaurant there. Serge's is at the gates of Tanglewood which is a great place for it (as he founded Tanglewood when leader of the Boston Symphony), but on concert days, it's very busy. The Copland setting is very serene. All three pieces are great.

Yes, I've still not been able to make it to Tanglewood, but I really want to one day especially to visit Copland's memorial.  Much like WIlliams, Copland was at Tanglewood every Summer for so many years.

14 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yes, I've still not been able to make it to Tanglewood, but I really want to one day especially to visit Copland's memorial.  Much like WIlliams, Copland was at Tanglewood every Summer for so many years.

When my wife and I went for Across the Stars in 2019, we arrived early to walk the grounds which was wonderful. We then stayed afterwards until sunset just strolling around. It was really a perfect Sunday afternoon. Highly recommended.

5 minutes ago, lairdo said:

When my wife and I went for Across the Stars in 2019, we arrived early to walk the grounds which was wonderful. We then stayed afterwards until sunset just strolling around. It was really a perfect Sunday afternoon. Highly recommended.

You should really watch this public television documentary on Copland from 1975, right at the end of his time visiting and teaching at Tanglewood.

Beginning at where I've time-stamped, with him walking the grounds, and for the next 10 minutes or so, it actually shows him teaching a class of young composers at Tanglewood and includes him talking with young Michael Tilson Thomas!

Just now, Disco Stu said:

You should really watch this public television documentary on Copland from 1975, right at the end of his time visiting and teaching at Tanglewood.

Beginning at where I've time-stamped, with him walking the grounds, and for the next 10 minutes or so, it actually shows him teaching a class of young composers at Tanglewood and includes him talking with young Michael Tilson Thomas!

Thanks. I will watch it!

2 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Thank you for constantly reminding me why I should avoid posting here.

What did I say this time?😣

1 hour ago, Bayesian said:

Your contributions to this forum are orders of magnitude more valuable than Jurassic Shark's. We can't lose you. Put him on your ignore list, like I did long ago.

I his defense, at least Sharks inane utterances rarely exceed one paragraph.

For that, I am grateful

😎

Looks like he has a copy of the “Raiders of the Lost Ark storybook based on the movie” Pretty adorable if it is that.

At least that’s what I think it says. Or perhaps it’s Hal Lenard published sheet music of some kind? Lol. Can’t quite make out the subtitle in black there.

E2ADC4E3-9F23-4E39-8A4A-9F2A919B70FF.jpeg

That’s so funny. Haha. Wonder why that’s in his collection? Maybe one of his kids/grandkids had it or something.

I used to check that book out from my local library all the time as a youngster!

11 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Isn't Deneve a fan and possibly a friend of JW? 

Yes, that is right. He regularly programs Williams music in his concerts.

Denève is the conductor for the National Symphony Concert honoring JW on June 23 of this year.

A few years ago (Nov 2019), they shared the podium together in St Louis for the SLSO Gala concert. (Listing below.)

That same weekend, Denève led two concerts with James Ehnes soloing in Williams' Violin Concerto No. 1 (with Williams in attendance at the rehearsals of the VC1). One was streamed on radio. Attached are two sections of Deneve speaking about Williams. 

I believe Denève was also the co-conductor the last time Williams performed with the Philadelphia Orchestra.

Finally, Denève is leading a Williams birthday concert on March 30 in St. Louis.

And speaking to the CD in question in JW's office, Deneve is including Connesson pieces in a number of concerts he is doing this spring. So, while that CD is from 2016, clearly that music is important to him.

Nov 1, 2019 concert

Stéphane Denève conducting

• Hooray for Hollywood
    • The Cowboys overture
    • Two pieces from Jane Eyre (The Reunion; To Thornfield)
    • Suite from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (Three Million Light Years From Home; Stargazers; Adventures on Earth)

INTERMISSION

John Williams conducting

• Flight to Neverland from Hook
    • Dartmoor, 1921 from War Horse
    • Theme from Jurassic Park
    • With Malice Towards None from Lincoln
    • The Adventures of Han from Solo: A Star Wars Story
    • Rey’s Theme from The Force Awakens
    • Princess Leia’s Theme from Star Wars
    • Main Title from Star Wars

ENCORES

• Yoda’s Theme from The Empire Strikes Back
    • The Imperial March from The Empire Strikes Back

1586358674_02StephaneDeneveintroducesconcert.m4a 587162133_13IntermissionInterview_StephaneDeneve.m4a

8 hours ago, Jay said:

These bound volumes contain photocopies.

Hmm, this sure looks like an original sketch to me. Note the yellowish paper and corrections in red ink:

image.jpeg

On 08/02/2022 at 12:04 PM, WilliamsFan93 said:

You would think hearing that my favourite movie composer stepping away from movies would fill me with disappointment but reading the interview feels like Williams isn`t so much giving up but starting a new phase in his career. How many people in any profession can say that at 90.  Williams has been such a big part of my life for so long and each score has been an event. You can understand his disenchantment with current day Hollywood. How many movies do we see now that feel like they need a Williams score? They`re either too dark or cynical. There will never be another Hollywood blockbuster as honest and emotional as E.T. There will neve be another Superman movie like Superman 78 and Star Wars will never be as fresh and fun as it was back in 77. Over the past couple of years we`ve had two amazing concerts that are preserved for all to see with the amazing Blu-ray releases. We have three amazing new Star Wars scores and some great Spielberg collaborations ( BFG being my favourite). So i`m absolutely fine with Williams concentrating more on concert work and collaborations. We are guaranteed at least one more Spielberg/Williams release, one more big blockbuster score with Indy 5 and hopefully more CD releases and expansions of scores that have never had a release ( come on Sugarland and Secret Ways) and more concerts. So being a fan in 2022 with a 90 year old Williams still as passionate as ever makes the world just that little bit brighter. 

I can't read it.  It blocks me.  Can someone paste it?