Williams expects to complete the Indiana Jones 5 score "this year"

Jay

We don't know.

My personal speculation is that he would prefer to not start on it until after The Fabelmans is recorded -- and that is recording in LA next month.

So I think his 2022 will go something like this:

1. early March: Record The Fabelmans
  2. March 10-15ish: Vienna trip
  3. late March through early April: write some Indiana Jones 5
  4. second half of April: Concerts in Philadelphia and New York
  5. May through early June: Write some more Indiana Jones 5
  6. June 20-25ish: Washington DC trip
  7. July and early August: Finishing writing Indiana Jones 5, and record it
  8. late August: Tanglewood trip

I cannot open the article for some reason, but that quote is depressing.  He is confirming that this is it for film scoring?  

This is a big announcement, if accurate.  

11 minutes ago, Tom said:

I cannot open the article for some reason

You can read the article here.

11 minutes ago, Tom said:

, but that quote is depressing.  He is confirming that this is it for film scoring?  

"if accurate"?

10 minutes ago, Alex said:

Are we to assume he’s already started Indy 5?

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

We don't know.

Here's what Jon Burlingame wrote in yesterday's Variety article:

Williams is also working on the score for the fifth “Indiana Jones” movie, slated for release in mid-2023.

"Is also working" = "Has already started"?

Hmm, I'd say its unclear.

It could mean he has already composed some music.

It could just be Burlingame saying he's definitively going to write it.

I dunno.

Ah yes, that's right!

Of course, the delay of the film from July 2022 to June 2023 was announced a couple days later, so that could have changed plans

As in, perhaps Mangold said "nevermind, we're not as rushed any more - go do Fabelmans then we'll reconvene".

Who knows.

3 hours ago, Tom said:

I cannot open the article for some reason, but that quote is depressing.  He is confirming that this is it for film scoring?  

I agree with you that part of me is sad to hear this but by all accounts, JW will not retire.  This might mean he just won't score films, but I have no doubt that as long as he's around and capable, our Johnny will continue to create new music.  

• 3 months later...

This is really historically important, if he does indeed retire from film after Fabelmans and Indy 5.  I just love hearing this.  Love it!

We know Williams read the script early on so he may have developed some themes early into the film's production, but I'm glad that he's able to attack the bulk of this score now with the film in post and all the filming completed while cuts of sequences are slowly being delivered to him. Sounds like he won't be rushed a ton and will have more adequate time to send-off Indy in a more cohesive way than he did the Star Wars ST. Should bode really well for the final product. 

I hope so.  This one really matters to me personally. I am a ridiculously huge fan of Indiana Jones.   I really hope whatever is written, it is developed and performed with enthusiasm and a celebration of all things Jones, without the re-use of old sequences that plagued Crystal Skull (yes I even like that movie. )

• 1 month later...

That is an interesting point though. How much old material vs new material will there be (considering how much time seems to have passed in the Indy-verse). He might record the march again.

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

That is an interesting point though. How much old material vs new material will there be (considering how much time seems to have passed in the Indy-verse). He might record the march again.

Hopefully minimal previous material

Oh you meant the exact 1981 arrangement?  He only re-recorded that for the IJ4 OST.  The IJ2 and 3 OSTS have portions of the march incorporated but not the whole original arrangement, and there's no reason not to think 5 will follow suit.  IMO.

While walking the dog, I was thinking...

Wouldn't it have been cool if the March were revised with each film, but the revisions retained and new revisions added to accumulate

ROTLA - The Standard March

TOD - Add Shorty's Theme [this was done]

TLC -  Keep Shorty's Theme and Bring in the Keeping Up With The Joneses

KOTCS - Retain all previous additions and modify March for Mutt's motifs [as was done in the last few minutes of the End Credits]

You'd have an ever-evolving, growing march with little thematic counterpoints, collecting with each film.  Essentially each piece an artifact taking its place on the "Museum Shelf" of the Raiders March.

I love the TOD version as it is, the integration of Short Round and Willy's themes is awesome!

The TLC one feel more like different ideas barely stitched together than a proper made from the ground up arrangement

Right, the TOD actually modifies the March itself.  This is primarily what I was musing about, integrating in the new motifs the way Short Round's was.

TOD has wonderfully organic segues from the March, to the other themes, and then back to the March.   The TLC keeps the March portion pretty much the same as the Raiders version, and the segues into the Grail Theme and Scherzo are more are less just stuck together.

I just really like when the March itself is revised.  The last minutes of the KOTCS End Credits with the ascending key changes and revised ending keep it really fun and fresh.

I can’t believe it’s happening. 

I’d consider selling my soul to be there for the last day on the recording stage, finishing off the end credits with da-da-dada-dum!

I don't think Indy will have any new relationship with a woman (Marion will probably die) So there will be no Love Theme. Rather, he will deepen the relationship with his daughter (Phoebe Waller-Bridge) from another mother. 

I'm expecting a new theme for

1.  Female character. 

2. Villain

3. MacGuffin(s)

4. Chase or Escape Music

5. Second sidekick...maybe

I definitely don't want fan service in music. That was a cheap trick by the music editor in The Rise of Skywalker. 

On 23/06/2022 at 12:27 AM, Andy said:

ROTLA - The Standard March

TOD - Add Shorty's Theme [this was done]

TLC -  Keep Shorty's Theme and Bring in the Keeping Up With The Joneses

Wouldn't make sense though chronologically.

On 23/06/2022 at 11:57 AM, Alex said:

So JW confirmed he is still working on it in that Washington Post. Late Summer/Autumn recording sessions maybe?

Recording starts 10am on Tuesday!  Revealed by JW at the Kennedy Center pre concert talk