Williams expects to complete the Indiana Jones 5 score "this year"

Jay

We don't know.

My personal speculation is that he would prefer to not start on it until after The Fabelmans is recorded -- and that is recording in LA next month.

So I think his 2022 will go something like this:

1. early March: Record The Fabelmans
  2. March 10-15ish: Vienna trip
  3. late March through early April: write some Indiana Jones 5
  4. second half of April: Concerts in Philadelphia and New York
  5. May through early June: Write some more Indiana Jones 5
  6. June 20-25ish: Washington DC trip
  7. July and early August: Finishing writing Indiana Jones 5, and record it
  8. late August: Tanglewood trip

11 minutes ago, Tom said:

I cannot open the article for some reason

You can read the article here.

11 minutes ago, Tom said:

, but that quote is depressing.  He is confirming that this is it for film scoring?  

This is a big announcement, if accurate.  

"if accurate"?

10 minutes ago, Alex said:

Are we to assume he’s already started Indy 5?

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

We don't know.

Here's what Jon Burlingame wrote in yesterday's Variety article:

Williams is also working on the score for the fifth “Indiana Jones” movie, slated for release in mid-2023.

"Is also working" = "Has already started"?

Hmm, I'd say its unclear.

It could mean he has already composed some music.

It could just be Burlingame saying he's definitively going to write it.

I dunno.

Ah yes, that's right!

Of course, the delay of the film from July 2022 to June 2023 was announced a couple days later, so that could have changed plans

As in, perhaps Mangold said "nevermind, we're not as rushed any more - go do Fabelmans then we'll reconvene".

Who knows.

3 hours ago, Tom said:

I cannot open the article for some reason, but that quote is depressing.  He is confirming that this is it for film scoring?  

This is a big announcement, if accurate.  

I agree with you that part of me is sad to hear this but by all accounts, JW will not retire.  This might mean he just won't score films, but I have no doubt that as long as he's around and capable, our Johnny will continue to create new music.  

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I wonder how much score JW has written to already edited footage.  Either way, Mangold says editing begins in earnest today

I would say nothing.  With the confirmation of the Fabelmans as his current project, I think Indy work will commence in a few weeks.  

I honestly don't know, but if the concert is Saturday night, I doubt he's leaving California any later than Wednesday

6 hours ago, Jay said:

He probably recorded The Fabelmans before he left for Vienna

Would we not have heard about it if he was recording something?

3 hours ago, Alex said:

Would we not have heard about it if he was recording something?

The LA Recording Arts Symphony is very discreet.  It is not like these gossipy, small town orchestras.  These blabbermouths go on and on to anyone they meet about their recordings.  

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

The LA Recording Arts Symphony is very discreet.  It is not like these small town orchestras.  These blabbermouths go on and on to anyone they meet about their recordings.  

Lest we forget how the Obi-Wan session leaked….

Aye, but this time they might have made everyone who entered the studio sign an NDA

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, Remco said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcqUZu4JqOO/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Wonder if this means they’ll start recording soon.

Yeah, without knowing when he actually started scoring, it is hard to know.  However, a piecemeal sort of thing would be likely if he is actually recording soon.  The cool thing, either way, is Marshall's fanboy love of Williams.  

Just remembered he canceled his Chicago concerts in June due to a film commitment and we know Fabelmans is done, so I assume he'll either be recording Indy by then or recording soon enough afterward that he needed more time in his schedule to prepare.

It would most likely take him 3months plus to write a score for an IJ movie wouldn’t it? I can’t imagine he’s even half way through.

Mangold started his director's cut at the start of March. It's definitely possible they've held the first spotting session by now, seeing as Williams likely finished Fabelmans weeks back.

4 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Eek. Maybe. Who knows how far along he is or when he started. They might record in piecemeal again like the SW sequels.

I get the impression JW only does things like that these days, particularly when working with directors other than Spielberg (who I imagine still edits in the traditional sense and isn't doing constant reshoots, at least not for passion projects like Fabelmans). The pressure of working in the modern Hollywood blockbuster movie-making style does not suit a 90-year old man who is working half the amount of hours he was in his prime, and especially not someone with such high standards. I imagine he only said yes to IJ5 under the condition he could take his time writing, even if that means starting with an almost entirely different movie to what we'll end up seeing (á la Rise of Skywalker, if the rumours around that film are to be believed).

• 4 weeks later...

This is really historically important, if he does indeed retire from film after Fabelmans and Indy 5.  I just love hearing this.  Love it!

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Thank goodness Kingdom of the Crystal Skull wasn't the last movie he scored.

That's true for any movie he scored regardless of the movie quality

We know Williams read the script early on so he may have developed some themes early into the film's production, but I'm glad that he's able to attack the bulk of this score now with the film in post and all the filming completed while cuts of sequences are slowly being delivered to him. Sounds like he won't be rushed a ton and will have more adequate time to send-off Indy in a more cohesive way than he did the Star Wars ST. Should bode really well for the final product. 

I hope so.  This one really matters to me personally. I am a ridiculously huge fan of Indiana Jones.   I really hope whatever is written, it is developed and performed with enthusiasm and a celebration of all things Jones, without the re-use of old sequences that plagued Crystal Skull (yes I even like that movie. )

• 1 month later...