John Williams recorded something for "A TV project" at Sony sound stage in LA on Monday

Jay

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I do not believe it has been publicly confirmed why JW wrote it.

Just in case anybody in this thread hasn't heard it:

The Tuba player ruined the recording at 1.02!!! :kaboom:

Here's an out of the box idea.

What if Disney put together a Superb Owl commercial that shows all their upcoming Star Wars TV shows (Obi Wan, Andor, Ashoka, Acolyte, Lando, etc), and asked Williams to compose music just for that?

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

What if Disney put together a Superb Owl commercial that shows all their upcoming Star Wars TV shows (Obi Wan, Andor, Ashoka, Acolyte, Lando, etc), and asked Williams to compose music just for that?

Isn't most Superb Owl TV spot only 30s these days? Even if there is one TV spot secretly in the making, does it make sense for JW to compose and conduct for a compilation TV commercial that only lasts 30 seconds? 

I was thinking a 90 second spot - probably not literally airing during the show, cause that's hella expensive, but commercials released around the same time still get a lot of buzz

2 hours ago, Jay said:

If Hedwig can try a Coke, it doesn’t seem that unlikely.

Hmm, any chance a teaser for The Fabelmans debuting during the game might be considered a “TV project”? I assume it’s far too soon for anything Indy 5 related…

18 minutes ago, Michael G. said:

Wait, Why is JKMS making a post like this about the Force Theme???? https://www.instagram.com/p/CZ2sUl1vkJY/?utm_medium=copy_link

image.png

this got me thinking... could it be that the main title to the Kenobi series will be a standalone concert version of the Binary Sunset, the way The Adventures of Han can be performed in concert?

Well that would be something. Of all the themes in Star Wars that never received a concert suite, the Force Theme seems like the most noteworthy omission.

Combining both alternates for Funeral Pyre works nicely as a substitute, though.

14 hours ago, Michael G. said:

Wait, Why is JKMS making a post like this about the Force Theme???? https://www.instagram.com/p/CZ2sUl1vkJY/?utm_medium=copy_link

Part of a series featuring Williams classic themes, so no reason to think it has anything to do with the secret TV project.

This week we’re celebrating his 90th with a few of the many incredible themes he has brought to the film universe in his career.

2 hours ago, Fabulin said:

.. could it be that the main title to the Kenobi series will be a standalone concert version of the Binary Sunset, the way The Adventures of Han can be performed in concert?

I know this comes up a lot, but isn't the extended throne room a 4 minute piece revolving around the force theme?  How does that not count?  

10 minutes ago, Tom said:

I know this comes up a lot, but isn't the extended throne room a 4 minute piece revolving around the force theme?  How does that not count?  

I would say The Throne Room is really about the major-key “Land of Hope and Glory”-like processional theme that follows the Force theme.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I agree with @Matt S. The Throne Room is about the sweeping college graduation motif than the Force theme, though the Force theme does get a nice workout, especially in the concert version.

Fans have always pined for a pure Force theme concert piece, though I don't think it will ever happen.

“Oh, Mr. Frodo, is everything sad coming untrue?!”

Wow.  This is my favorite kind of Williams news, and the thing I’ll miss the most when he finally passes on sometime in the 2040s.

I don’t know if it could possibly be for Kenobi proper. If it’s a main theme, that doesn’t give the composer much time to work between now and late May. Maybe it is just a slapped-on main title, which would be jarring but of course welcome. 

It would be especially jarring if Ludwig is the composer of this series, and he did it in the Mando/Boba style. Here’s why I say he won’t be.

The first two live-action Star Wars series have both purported to represent “another side” of the Star Wars universe—darker, grittier, morally ambiguous, etc. I don’t think anyone can argue that they actually do (rough, good-hearted rogue protects the vulnerable and throws in with the cause of the underdog in a vaster conflict between good and evil), and I’m OK with that. I don’t want Deadwood or Game of Thrones sensibilities in Star Wars anyway. But part of this charade has been Ludwig’s hiring and the embrace of a “new Star Wars sound,” as at least one fawning profile put it. Kenobi won’t be making this kind of claim about itself and won’t need gritty, atmospheric music to match. 

The Kenobi series will be hewing much more closely to established Star Wars territory, and it will require a more familiar sound.  This is one Star Wars TV project that has the potential to unite prequel fans and OT fans alike in interest, and thereby become the biggest thing ever in Star Wars TV. (Mando tried to do that with its OT-adjacent setting and Clone Wars connections, but this one is a proton torpedo straight at the reactor core of Star Wars nostalgia, centered on the most universally beloved bridge character between the two trilogies.)

With that in mind, I expect the Kenobi music to be relentlessly Williamsy in nature, and I wouldn’t be stunned if he were involved in some minor way. But I sort of hope Disney is correcting their earlier oversight by having Williams record a proper “Star Wars universe” logo theme that can replace that bland arpeggio that currently runs over the Technicolor helmet montage that opens Mando and Boba. Lord knows Disney has backtracked on logo themes before. If that’s what this is, and it guarantees that all future Star Wars projects will be headed by a nod to the original Maestro, I’ll be a happy man. 

On 11/2/2022 at 10:38 PM, Tom said:

Ive always thought this counts too

These rumors are getting stronger. Two different leakers of Star Wars news with solid enough reputations have reported that they’ve heard Williams is involved with scoring Kenobi.

https://lrmonline.com/news/john-williams-back-scoring-star-wars-for-obi-wan-kenobi-rumor-backed-up-barside-buzz/

17 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Williams is clearly retiring from film scoring because he'll be incredibly busy for the next ten years wall-to-wall scoring half of the new Star Wars shows Disney is churning out.

Anything to avoid Gia getting it.

41 minutes ago, rpvee said:

These rumors are getting stronger. Two different leakers of Star Wars news with solid enough reputations have reported that they’ve heard Williams is involved with scoring Kenobi.

https://lrmonline.com/news/john-williams-back-scoring-star-wars-for-obi-wan-kenobi-rumor-backed-up-barside-buzz/

I hear they're scoring it with the Kenobi Philharmonic Orchestra

2 minutes ago, crypto said:

Reckon we'll finally get our Williams fanfare for the Lucasfilm/Star Wars opening titles? 

Keeping the Ludwig version for a non-Ludwig score might be odd. 

Main titles no.  End titles possibly, though it would be cool if they were doing another original end credits piece.

*edit*  misread the post

6 minutes ago, crypto said:

Reckon we'll finally get our Williams fanfare for the Lucasfilm/Star Wars opening titles? 

Keeping the Ludwig version for a non-Ludwig score might be odd. 

It wasn't even Ludwig, I can't remember who it was though. Actually now that I think of it, it might have been Joseph Shirley, I could have sworn I heard of him at some point before TBBF.