What do you think is the "TV project" Williams was recording this week?

Edmilson

JW's mystery project  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think JW was recording?

• The main theme for the upcoming Disney+ TV show "Kenobi"
    • The main theme for the upcoming Disney+ TV show "Andor"
    • A new opening for the Oscar ceremony
    • Something else entirely (specify in the comments)

This poll is closed to new votes

30 minutes ago, Dr. Rick said:

Perhaps he's scoring the pilot episode of Kenobi and handing the reins over to another composer for the rest of the season.

That used to be the standard!  Hire the name composer to write a theme and score the pilot, then hand the rest of the season(s) to the nameless schmucks in the trenches.  I guess that stopped being the standard around the time "prestige television" became a thing.

The Orville went that route, with Bruce Broughton only scoring the pilot (and then returning for season 3 only to record a new arrangement of his theme)

I vote against Kenobi because I'm not sure why Deborah / Lucasfilm would specifically seek this out. Also, I had the impression that JW isn't so attached to the Star Wars universe that he would come back for another go with a Disney+ TV series. Sure, he continually displays a certain fondness for programming his extant Star Wars concert suites (and even The Adventures of Han, right?), but there's no post-R1 olive branch scenario here that would necessitate his coming on, not after Göransson and Shirley showed off their chops (probably at a much more competitive price point, too) in recent series.

In reality I'm just a coward. I would love for this to be JW penning a theme for Ewan. But I'm hedging to allow myself only to be pleasantly surprised.

I think recording the Oscars fanfare for use in next month's ceremony/promos makes plenty of sense, unless there's some reason it wouldn't be that and I haven't kept up. I don't want to think about the awesomeness of another surprise Star Wars piece.

I brought up the Oscar possibility because the fanboy in me really wants to believe it's Obi-Wan, and I wanted someone to rule it out.  But I think both are equally possible.

Obi-Wan was going to be a movie, like Solo.  But then they made it a TV show.  So, it would make sense that they'd follow the Solo template for scoring.  It FEELS like the biggest SW TV project to date, with beloved characters and big actors, so it seems worthy of Williams and not Goransson.  

Plus they've been mum on a composer for the show so far.

Of the options Kenobi or the Oscars look the most likely. Now that J.J Abrams isn't involved with Star Wars I can see Williams being coaxed back to the galaxy far far away for just the main theme on the other hand he's done music for the Oscars before so there's precedent. Was a tough choice but the fanboy in me won out and went with Kenobi. If anyone would do an Andor theme surely it'd be either Giacchino or Göransson?

10 minutes ago, Hedji said:

Can I just say that I’d be overjoyed if Williams composed a new “Star Wars” logo bumper to replace that wretched Force Theme one that plays over those awkward looking helmets before each Disney episode. 

I don’t have a particular problem with the sequence of helmets, myself (it’s kind of a neat way to be reminded that so many distinctive helmets have appeared in SW), but yeah, the logo music could be considerably improved. 

That said, I really hope JW’s new music is for Kenobi. 

I believe you are.

I remember when LucasArts put out their Behind the Magic CD-ROM for the Prequels, they used a Coruscant transition for their logo that fit brilliantly.

Cant find the logo, but it was this brief cue:

Yes, I really think it has a simple elegance that pairs well with the Lucasfilm logo and isn't overstated or overlong.  It sorta classes up the whole affair before it starts.

I like the helmets a lot actually.  One of the low-key most common Star Wars tropes is characters without moving faces, all the way back to the beginning with the droids and Vader.  It's just kinda neat to see all those helmets and masks.  The music is fine, wouldn't mind if it was replaced, wouldn't mind if it wasn't.

52 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I don't care about the helmets, but I do think it's overkill to ask John Williams to compose a 20 second fanfare.

Except, Williams is the history's greatest composer of 20-second fanfares :lol:

On 13/02/2022 at 3:37 PM, GlastoEls said:

Am I right this was the fanfare for the SW films when they were first available digitally and pre-Fox acquisition?

is this something specifically recorded by Williams or an edit of existing cues

5 minutes ago, Bounty95 said:

I have no idea how reliable this source is, but it adds more to the rumour. 

https://lrmonline.com/news/john-williams-back-scoring-star-wars-for-obi-wan-kenobi-rumor-backed-up-barside-buzz/

I guess Lucasfilm doesn't really care about secrecy anymore if the scoring session door just says "Kenobi" on it.  Next we'll be hearing about how they're scoring it with the Kenobi Symphony Orchestra

6 hours ago, Bounty95 said:

I have no idea how reliable this source is, but it adds more to the rumour. 

https://lrmonline.com/news/john-williams-back-scoring-star-wars-for-obi-wan-kenobi-rumor-backed-up-barside-buzz/

EDIT: I love being wrong.

The source is repeating hearsay from a YouTuber who might well be parroting what was already known to this forum. Similar comments are playing out on Reddit (e.g. someone called the original leaker "someone close to JW," which is spatially accurate but probably not personally accurate) unchecked.

I wager that this YouTuber is grossly overstating what was said here / on Facebook at the root of the leak. The same company that christened their projects "Blue Harvest" and more recently "Grammar Rodeo" decided to slap the naked "Kenobi" moniker on the studio door?

Again — I'd be glad to eat crow on this. Give me a three-course crow feast if it means getting a Williams score for Kenobi at dessert. But this quacks a lot like near-the-brink misinformation.

6 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I guess Lucasfilm doesn't really care about secrecy anymore if the scoring session door just says "Kenobi" on it.  Next we'll be hearing about how they're scoring it with the Kenobi Symphony Orchestra

So I guess that did happen LOL :lol: