Krypton and Robin Hood

Tom

I love Kamen's Robin Hood.  It is fun, brilliant, and even inspiring.  Has anyone noticed the similarities to the Planet Krypton cue?  Am I just hearing things?  

I love Kamen’s Overture too.   I think it stands far far above anything else in his body of work. It’s that good.   

As for similarities to Superman, I’d say there’s more similarity in the oatinato build up in Superman’s Main Title March than the Krypton tonalities. 

I believe he means that the first 3 notes of the melody in the Robin Hood overture are the same notes as the 4th, 5th, and 6th notes of the Krypton theme, which they are in terms of the notes of their relative major keys. After that, Robin Hood seems pretty different to me.

But since we're talking about the Krypton theme, it's always struck me how the notes of that theme are precisely the same collection of notes in the five-note "communication" theme in Close Encounters. It's like Williams took one of the dozens of possible combinations he wrote for the latter in 1977, maybe added a few repetitions of notes and voila - Krypton's theme in a film from 1978.

11 hours ago, Ludwig said:

I believe he means that the first 3 notes of the melody in the Robin Hood overture are the same notes as the 4th, 5th, and 6th notes of the Krypton theme, which they are in terms of the notes of their relative major keys. After that, Robin Hood seems pretty different to me.

But since we're talking about the Krypton theme, it's always struck me how the notes of that theme are precisely the same collection of notes in the five-note "communication" theme in Close Encounters. It's like Williams took one of the dozens of possible combinations he wrote for the latter in 1977, maybe added a few repetitions of notes and voila - Krypton's theme in a film from 1978.

Yes, that seems right.  Thank you.  That part of Robin Hood sounds like a sped up Krypton to me, which in turn distracts me.  But again, I love the Kamen score, which is far better than the movie for which it was composed.  

12 hours ago, Ludwig said:

Ha, never thought about that, but you're probably right. It also must be noted that the theme is rooted in the I-V-I cadence that forms the basis of the opening of Richard Strauss' Also Sprach Zarathustra (aka "Theme from 2001") which was likely a template here.