JW's Unreleased/Unrecorded/Unconducted Suites & Arrangements

igger6

Now that the end of Williams' film work is drawing near, I'm curious which film-related compositions, suite, and revised suites are still waiting to see release, recording, or even conducting by Williams himself.  Here's my first crack at a list.  I'm sure there are a million necessary corrections and/or additions.

• Revised 2018 "Han Solo and the Princess"
    • Recorded and released by Robert Ziegler & Slovak Symphony in 2019
    • Never conducted by Williams
  • Overture to the Oscars
    • Conducted by Williams at Hollywood Bowl in 2021
    • Never recorded or released officially
  • Galaxy's Edge Symphonic Suite
    • Recorded and released by William Ross & LSO in 2018
    • Conducted by David Newman within earshot of Williams at the Hollywood Bowl in 2019
  • Dear Basketball score
    • Unreleased and unrecorded in any official form
    • Conducted by Williams at Hollywood Bowl in 2017
  • "Irina's Theme" concert arrangement
    • Conducted by Williams sometime in 2008
    • Never released or recorded
  • "A Window to the Past" concert arrangement
    • Recorded and released by City of Prague Philharmonic in 2012 (?)
    • Conducted by Williams at the Hollywood Bowl in 2004
  • Rise of Skywalker concert suite
    • Conducted by Steven Reineke & Detroit Symphony Orchestra in 2021
    • Unrecorded, unreleased, unconducted by Williams
  • "Adagio" from The Force Awakens
    • Recorded and released by Gustavo Dudamel & LA Phil on "Celebrating John Williams" (2019)
  • "The Flag Parade" concert arrangement from The Phantom Menace
    • Recorded and released by the City of Prague Philharmonic in (???)
    • Never conducted, recorded, or released by Williams
  • Theme from The Lost World (revised)
    • Recorded and released by the Film Symphony Orchestra in 2018
    • Conducted by Williams in (???)
  • "Stargazers" for Harp and Orchestra from E.T.
    • Recorded and released by Keith Lockhart & Boston Pops in 2017
  • "Men of the Yorktown March" (Revised) from Midway
    • Recorded and released by Keith Lockhart & Boston Pops in 2017
  • "Leaving Home" (Revised) from Superman
    • Premiered at the 2020 Academy Awards, unreleased
  • "The Face of Pan" (Revised) from Hook
    • Recorded and released by Dirk Brossé & Brussels Philharmonic in 2020
  • "Across the Stars" for Violin and Orchestra (v. 3.0)
    • Revision of the arrangement originally performed in 2018
    • Initially revised in 2019, conducted, recorded, and released by Williams with Anne-Sophie Mutter
  • "The Adventures of Jar Jar" from The Phantom Menace
    • Recorded and released by City of Prague Phil and Royal Scottish National
    • Never recorded or released by Williams

The Flag Parade from Phantom Menace from the suite hasn't been recorded by him. 

And I think The Patriot has been modified since the soundtrack. 

The JFK suite hasn't been recorded by Williams. It's not really different from the three OST tracks: Prologue, Motorcade, and Arlington, but there are some transition bars between the prologue and Motorcade. Williams has performed it a few times in concert. 

And the revised The Lost World Theme hasn't been recorded by Williams. Likewise, he's conducted it a few times. 

The revised version of Across the Stars for solo violin and orchestra, conducted by Williams in Tanglewood, recorded for TV Broadcast, but never published on CD.

11 minutes ago, pete said:

The Flag Parade from Phantom Menace from the suite hasn't been recorded by him. 

Has there any of the Star Wars suites been conducted and published by Williams? 

It was shown in Germany. I saw the video on ARTE. Across the Stars was performed after the world premier of the violin concerto 2. It was in the same video.

Edit: The videos of the premier were shared in the other thread. Just move forward to 38:00. There it is.

7 hours ago, igger6 said:

• Revised 2018 "Han Solo and the Princess"
    • Recorded and released by Robert Ziegler & Slovak Symphony in 2019
  • Overture to the Oscars
    • Conducted by Williams at Hollywood Bowl in 2021
    • Never recorded or released officially
  • Galaxy's Edge Symphonic Suite
    • Recorded and released by William Ross & LSO in 2018
  • Dear Basketball score
    • Unreleased and unrecorded in any official form
    • Conducted by Williams at Hollywood Bowl in 2017
  • "A Window to the Past" concert arrangement
    • Recorded and released by City of Prague Philharmonic in 2012 (?)
    • Never conducted, recorded or released by Williams
  • Rise of Skywalker concert suite
    • Conducted somewhere in Ireland in 2021
    • Unrecorded, unreleased, unconducted by Williams
  • "Adagio" from The Force Awakens
    • Recorded and released by Gustavo Dudamel & LA Phil on "Celebrating John Williams" (2019)

The revised Han Solo and The Princess has been conducted by JW in several concerts in 2018.

Overture to the Oscars was premiered by the Boston Pops at Tanglewood in August 2021 with JW conducting.

Galaxy's Edge has been conducted by JW at Hollywood Bowl in 2019.

Bridge to the Past (aka Window to the Past) concert version was conducted by JW at the Hollywood Bowl in 2004 along with the other three movements of the Azkaban suite.

The Rise of Skywalker symphonic suite was premiered by the Detroit Symphony Orchestra conducted by Steven Reineke in Summer 2021 during an open-air concert at Rochester Hills, MI.

8 hours ago, igger6 said:

Though not conducted by Williams and certainly not performed by a full orchestra, there is a recording of the revised Irina's theme on piano.

9 hours ago, artguy360 said:

I thought JW conducted the Galaxy's Edge theme at the Hollywood Bowl at some point?

I THINK Tanglewood too. 

I was there, I just can't remember if it was Williams with the baton or not. 

9 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Has there any of the Star Wars suites been conducted and published by Williams? 

Yes, lots. The Phantom Menace suite has been published - it contains the expanded Flag Parade, and yes, Williams has conducted at least parts of it in concert. There's also Duel of the Fates without a choir - Not sure if that counts as a seperate piece, but I'd like to hear it.

Another unreleased one is the suite for Angela's Ashes. It was apparently recorded at the sessions for the Yo-Yo Ma plays Williams CD, but so far has yet to be released. With recent and upcoming collaborations, maybe this will finally be released. 

13 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

I THINK Tanglewood too. 

I was there, I just can't remember if it was Williams with the baton or not. 

I'm pretty sure David Newman conducted Galaxy's Edge at Tanglewood 2019

Two more that Williams hasn't recorded: Stargazers and the expanded Men of the Yorktown March, both of which are on the Lights, Camera...Music! Six Decades of John Williams CD.

Another is the revised Leaving Home from Superman that was performed a few year ago... Academy Awards?

American Journey. The Civil Rights piece has been expanded since its recording.

The Book Thief suite

And Accidental Tourist Theme:

And another: The Esplanade Overture based on Monsignor's The Meeting in Sicily - or did the overture come first?

And The Face of Pan has been revised a couple of times since Williams recorded it for the second Spielberg/Williams collaboration CD. 

1 hour ago, pete said:

And The Face of Pan has been revised a couple of times since Williams recorded it for the second Spielberg/Williams collaboration CD. 

The revised version appears on this album:

https://shop.filmfestival.be/collections/cd/products/world-soundtrack-awards-tribute-to-the-film-composer

https://www.qobuz.com/album/world-soundtrack-awards-tribute-to-the-film-composer-brussels-philharmonic-dirk-brosse

Great work, everyone!  I was hoping this would draw people's knowledge out of the woodwork a bit.  "Never conducted," for lack of a better term, just means no one has yet pointed out a specific date when it was conducted.  And it's certainly not a complaint, just an observation.

I think my eyes glazed over the "never conducted" part. I was thinking just of pieces he hasn't himself recorded. 

And for an update of something he did conduct:

• Theme from The Lost World (revised)
    • Recorded and released by the Film Symphony Orchestra in 2018
    • Conducted by Williams in London, July 1998 at the Barbican.

3 hours ago, igger6 said:

Great work, everyone!  I was hoping this would draw people's knowledge out of the woodwork a bit.  "Never conducted," for lack of a better term, just means no one has yet pointed out a specific date when it was conducted.  And it's certainly not a complaint, just an observation.

The Boston Symphony's online archive is useful for a project like this, archives.bso.org.  It has scans of all of the program books from both Symphony Hall and Tanglewood, so all it takes is a quick search.  For example, Williams conducted the Adagio from The Force Awakens on August 7, 2018.

https://archive.org/details/tanglewoodmusicc2018bost/page/n772/mode/1up?view=theater

He also conducted a version of the Men of the Yorktown March back in 1984, for Navy Night at the Pops.  I have no idea how different that version is from the one recorded by Keith Lockhart.

https://archive.org/details/bostonpopsorches1984bost/page/n376/mode/1up?view=theater

The only drawback to the BSO's archive is it doesn't include programs from any concerts away from Boston or Tanglewood (such as a tour to Japan, for instance).  I saw Williams conduct the theme from The Lost World at a Boston Pops concert in the summer of 1997, but it took place at Great Woods (a Tanglewood Shed-type venue located in Mansfield, MA, a ways south of Boston; it's changed names many times over the years and is currently known as the Xfinity Center)... therefore that program isn't in the archive.

I think the gist of the OP post is valid in that there is no definitive list *cough* bespin *cough* of what all JW conducted in various concerts.  For example, how could OP possibly know that JW never conducted something in Hollywood Bowl 1998 or 2003 or whatever.  It would be a very complex list because what all works constitute a suite has evolved.  For example, wasn't "The Dune Sea of Tatooine" aka "The Jawas" aka "The Sandcrawler" part of the 1970's suite?  In the 1970's, I think that and "Here they come!" were part of the suite but those probably haven't been heard by anyone in concert who was born after 1990.  Other than stuff like Star Wars in concert which I don't think JW had involvement in but didn't that sort of start the live to picture movement?  Just imagine all of his film music he conducted with Boston Pops that was definitely recorded but no one hears any more.  

47 minutes ago, Drew said:

Irina's Theme has a longer concert version??

Yes, it's included in the suite from the film. It says it's 3:30, but one of the concert performances is a minute longer.

And a couple of little updates. Williams conducted Stargazers in May 2009. I don't think it's significantly different from the soundtrack piece ET and Me, but Williams does say in the video that this is the first time ever this piece (which he doesn't name) has been played.

And he has conducted The Flag Parade, but I don't know any specific dates.

58 minutes ago, Drew said:

Irina's Theme has a longer concert version??

The track titled "Irina's Theme" on the OST album isn't even a concert arrangement at all, it's just bits of 3 film cues edited together.

He wrote the concert arrangement at the time he wrote the score (or shortly thereafter) and conducted it in concerts, but it wasn't recorded at the film's recording sessions.

It's already been posted in this thread:

Still trying to get my head around why he decided The Rise of Skywalker is worthy of a four-movement suite (unlike episodes II, III, and VIII which all had to make due with a single concert arrangement), but has yet to program any of it himself, despite numerous opportunities…

21 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

It was shown in Germany. I saw the video on ARTE. Across the Stars was performed after the world premier of the violin concerto 2. It was in the same video.

Edit: The videos of the premier were shared in the other thread. Just move forward to 38:00. There it is.

what other thread

• 3 months later...

I would like to know more about the two versions of the Patriot out there.  Keith Lockhart's is different than the FSO version.  Which is revised?  Has Williams ever conducted either?

He has conducted music from the Patriot in Boston Pops concerts. Unfortunately I never heard a recording of it. I wish he'd conducted it more often. 

On 30/05/2022 at 11:16 AM, Andy said:

I would like to know more about the two versions of the Patriot out there.  Keith Lockhart's is different than the FSO version.  Which is revised?  Has Williams ever conducted either?

The Keith Lockhart recording is the concert arrangement as it was published by Hal Leonard. UPDATE: Nope, the FSO recording is the Hal Leonard version. It’s mostly based on the film’s End Credits, but omits the brass chorale, which I’m personally quite fond of, and return of the opening 3/4 theme, and adds a new coda: 6:00–7:25 are taken directly from 9M2A The British Counter-Attack, and then 7:25–end are unique to this arrangement.

Not sure what the source of the FSO version is. It almost seems like it could be reordered from the published arrangement, but then the ending is unique.

The ending of the FSO is very unique indeed, with lots of false ending bravado, very typical of Williams teasing out the finale, the way he does with the concert arrangement of Parade of the Slave Children. 

50 minutes ago, Andy said:

The ending of the FSO is very unique indeed, with lots of false ending bravado, very typical of Williams teasing out the finale, the way he does with the concert arrangement of Parade of the Slave Children.

Yeah, it does seem to be authentic JW, and a recent United States Marine Band performance uses this ending as well: 

16 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

The Keith Lockhart recording is the concert arrangement as it was published by Hal Leonard. It’s mostly based on the film’s End Credits, but omits the brass chorale, which I’m personally quite fond of, and return of the opening 3/4 theme, and adds a new coda: 6:00–7:25 are taken directly from 9M2A The British Counter-Attack, and then 7:25–end are unique to this arrangement.

Not sure what the source of the FSO version is. It almost seems like it could be reordered from the published arrangement, but then the ending is unique.

Actually, I think it's the other way around... the version performed by the FSO and the Marine Band is the Signature Edition suite from Hal Leonard, while Keith Lockhart's version is a new arrangement, based largely on the OST's concert track, but with a new ending as you noted above.  I know Williams conducted the Hal Leonard version back around the time the movie came out, and I'm certain I've seen a youtube video of a July 4th Hatch Shell concert that included it.

4 hours ago, Matt S. said:

Actually, I think it's the other way around... the version performed by the FSO and the Marine Band is the Signature Edition suite from Hal Leonard, while Keith Lockhart's version is a new arrangement, based largely on the OST's concert track, but with a new ending as you noted above.

Oops, yeah, that’s exactly right! I hadn’t looked at the Hal Leonard version in a while: it is the same as the FSO performance. So the Lockhart version must be an unpublished revision.

8 hours ago, thx99 said:

Very nice share!  Yes, not released as conducted by Williams, but The United States Marine Drum & Bugle Corps did record it for their CD titled Esprit:

Thanks for the heads up on this one... bad news, YouTube video isn't available here (as ever!), but the album is available fairly easily to buy (https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8009870--united-states-marine-drum-and-bugle-corps-esprit). That's the second JW concert work I'm aware of that's been released on album in a wind/brass band arrangement but without there being a version of the orchestral original, the other being The Winter Games Fanfare performed by the Denver Brass.

On 14/02/2022 at 1:16 AM, pete said:

The JFK suite hasn't been recorded by Williams. It's not really different from the three OST tracks: Prologue, Motorcade, and Arlington, but there are some transition bars between the prologue and Motorcade. Williams has performed it a few times in concert.

A recording of the first movement of the Suite from JFK, as performed in 2003 by the US Marine Band ("The President's Own") and conducted by Williams, was released by the Band (YouTube link below).  The full Suite was performed at the concert but the other two movements didn't make the cut for this release which combined selections from the 2003 and 2008 concerts (both conducted by Williams - I was at the 2008 concert).

SITE TO DOWNLOAD THE ALBUM & NOTES:  https://express.adobe.com/page/MtAOvmGmJ8YRQ/