Peter Jackson is now the third person in history to become a billionaire from making films, after Steven Spielberg and George Lucas

Jay

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

James Cameron isn’t a billionaire? 

He will be when he sells Lightstorm entertainment off - that's how the other 3 became billionaires

GL selling Lucasfilm

SS selling Dreamworks

PJ selling Weta

Also, apparently Tyler Perry is a billionaire?

Nuts to think this is pretty much the result of just his making of The Lord of the Rings (including the building up of WETA as a major industry SFX house). 

These films just haven't gone away, they haven't died down or faded over the years. During the late 80s and early 90s even Star Wars didn't manage to keep its profile and fandom at the level LOTR has managed over the years. 

On 15/02/2022 at 9:07 PM, Quintus said:

During the late 80s and early 90s even Star Wars didn't manage to keep its profile and fandom at the level LOTR has managed over the years. 

To be fair, the LOTR films were made right at the start of easily available internet and the beginning of social media. Fandom was much more accessible (and accepted) at that point.

I don't know how to compare Star Wars' profile in the late 80s-early 90s to LOTR since I wasn't there, I definitely have seen Star Wars referenced in things from that time, but it is crazy to me that when the Special Editions finally re-released in 1997, they competed in the box-office like they were brand new movies. Star Wars was #1 for three weekends and top 5 for two more following and one of the top 10 grossing movies of 1997. It out-grossed My Best Friend's Wedding, Tomorrow Never Dies, and Face/Off. Empire was in the top 25, out-grossing Anaconda. Star Wars also placed #15 on AFI's 1998 greatest movies list. 

This is US, though. Internationally might be a different story.