John Williams - Maestro of the Movies: Celebrating John Williams at 90 (Hollywood Bowl, Sept. 2.,3.,4, 2022)

Andrej

42 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

Anyone have an idea when individual tickets rather than the packages go on sale?

There you go: https://www.hollywoodbowl.com/concerts-and-events/packages-and-ticket-info

Create Your Own package (CYO) - On sale March 15

Tickets for individual concerts will become available in May of 2022.

6 hours ago, Tom said:

This should also be the premiere (or at least performance) of the 100th anniversary fanfare he wrote.  

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Yep!

I cannot wait to hear it!

7 hours ago, Tom said:

This should also be the premiere (or at least performance) of the 100th anniversary fanfare he wrote.  

I forgot about that!  When I was considering unreleased pieces the other day, I had this sense that the Vienna processional wasn't the only forthcoming celebratory piece, but I couldn't call this to mind.  Great news!  Hopefully they're both in the exuberant "Liberty Fanfare" / "Celebrate Discovery" mode rather than the more technical "Fanfare for Fenway" / "For the President's Own."  I wonder how Williams will go about evoking the disparate ethos of the Hollywood Bowl and the Vienna Phil in music.  One more nerdy thing that you know is going on in his mind that his humility prevents him from obliging us with!

1 hour ago, igger6 said:

I forgot about that!  When I was considering unreleased pieces the other day, I had this sense that the Vienna processional wasn't the only forthcoming celebratory piece, but I couldn't call this to mind.  Great news!  Hopefully they're both in the exuberant "Liberty Fanfare" / "Celebrate Discovery" mode rather than the more technical "Fanfare for Fenway" / "For the President's Own."  I wonder how Williams will go about evoking the disparate ethos of the Hollywood Bowl and the Vienna Phil in music.  One more nerdy thing that you know is going on in his mind that his humility prevents him from obliging us with!

Given that it is, in a strong sense, a Hollywood orchestra, I could see him going for first mode.  It will be interesting to hear the Vienna piece side-by-side.  I expect the latter to be a bit more formal, but still fun.  As they were composed around the same time, I wouldn't be surprised with some similarities. My guess is the Oscar overture was composed in the same broad timeframe.  

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, I'm hoping to come from the UK for this! It would be my first John Williams live experience. Would it be wise to book the package now to avoid disappointment or is it likely there will be relatively good seats available when they go on sale with the individual concert at the end of March?

Thanks!
Sean

I’m actually thinking of going to one of these concerts. I have some airline credit to use. I can’t think of a better way to use them then cross the continent to see Williams with the LA phil.

When are single tickets go on sale?

Well, flight booked. Going to attempt the Saturday concert. Anyone has recommendations for lodging close to the Bowl? I’m also considering getting a “package “ to get the best seats possible.

Not sure how, but I was able to purchase a single ticket in section F3 for the Saturday concert. Maybe a glitch in the system. Not going to complain.

Booked The Adler hotel. Pretty cheap, and 30 minute walk from the Bowl. Reserve now, pay later on expedia

• 1 month later...

I'm considering travelling all the way from Australia to finally see JW in concert. This seems like the best option provided the man himself doesn't appear the size of an ant because of seat distance. Does anyone know when individual tickets are available and if there is a likelihood that more (better) seats would become available?

Hi! Individual tickets will go on sale in about half an hour... can't wait! I do hope there will remain a few good seats available among less expensive sections.

Order complete! Managed to get tickets for both Friday and Sunday concerts. Seats in the E section... I would have loved to get seats in the very first rows of that section, but it could have been worse I presume!