John Williams - Maestro of the Movies: Celebrating John Williams at 90 (Hollywood Bowl, Sept. 2.,3.,4, 2022)

Andrej

42 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

Anyone have an idea when individual tickets rather than the packages go on sale?

There you go: https://www.hollywoodbowl.com/concerts-and-events/packages-and-ticket-info

Create Your Own package (CYO) - On sale March 15

Tickets for individual concerts will become available in May of 2022.

6 hours ago, Tom said:

This should also be the premiere (or at least performance) of the 100th anniversary fanfare he wrote.  

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Yep!

I cannot wait to hear it!

7 hours ago, Tom said:

This should also be the premiere (or at least performance) of the 100th anniversary fanfare he wrote.  

I forgot about that!  When I was considering unreleased pieces the other day, I had this sense that the Vienna processional wasn't the only forthcoming celebratory piece, but I couldn't call this to mind.  Great news!  Hopefully they're both in the exuberant "Liberty Fanfare" / "Celebrate Discovery" mode rather than the more technical "Fanfare for Fenway" / "For the President's Own."  I wonder how Williams will go about evoking the disparate ethos of the Hollywood Bowl and the Vienna Phil in music.  One more nerdy thing that you know is going on in his mind that his humility prevents him from obliging us with!

1 hour ago, igger6 said:

I forgot about that!  When I was considering unreleased pieces the other day, I had this sense that the Vienna processional wasn't the only forthcoming celebratory piece, but I couldn't call this to mind.  Great news!  Hopefully they're both in the exuberant "Liberty Fanfare" / "Celebrate Discovery" mode rather than the more technical "Fanfare for Fenway" / "For the President's Own."  I wonder how Williams will go about evoking the disparate ethos of the Hollywood Bowl and the Vienna Phil in music.  One more nerdy thing that you know is going on in his mind that his humility prevents him from obliging us with!

Given that it is, in a strong sense, a Hollywood orchestra, I could see him going for first mode.  It will be interesting to hear the Vienna piece side-by-side.  I expect the latter to be a bit more formal, but still fun.  As they were composed around the same time, I wouldn't be surprised with some similarities. My guess is the Oscar overture was composed in the same broad timeframe.  

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, I'm hoping to come from the UK for this! It would be my first John Williams live experience. Would it be wise to book the package now to avoid disappointment or is it likely there will be relatively good seats available when they go on sale with the individual concert at the end of March?

Thanks!
Sean

I’m actually thinking of going to one of these concerts. I have some airline credit to use. I can’t think of a better way to use them then cross the continent to see Williams with the LA phil.

When are single tickets go on sale?

Well, flight booked. Going to attempt the Saturday concert. Anyone has recommendations for lodging close to the Bowl? I’m also considering getting a “package “ to get the best seats possible.

Not sure how, but I was able to purchase a single ticket in section F3 for the Saturday concert. Maybe a glitch in the system. Not going to complain.

• 1 month later...

I'm considering travelling all the way from Australia to finally see JW in concert. This seems like the best option provided the man himself doesn't appear the size of an ant because of seat distance. Does anyone know when individual tickets are available and if there is a likelihood that more (better) seats would become available?

Hi! Individual tickets will go on sale in about half an hour... can't wait! I do hope there will remain a few good seats available among less expensive sections.

Order complete! Managed to get tickets for both Friday and Sunday concerts. Seats in the E section... I would have loved to get seats in the very first rows of that section, but it could have been worse I presume!

• 3 months later...

I unfortunately won’t be able to go, my ticket is section F3 row 3 seat 14. Willing to transfer it for less than cost. It’s for the Saturday concert.

• 3 weeks later...

SO!

Who from JWFan is attending the concerts this weekend!?  Let's hear from you!

I'll be at Sunday night's performance, in section K1!

Also... anyone hear there's a damn heatwave in LA?  Oi!

Sunday as well - hopefully someone from Friday or Saturday can share the set list.  
Last year JW conducted second half of the show.  Which doesn’t really guarantee anything for this year. I imagine he will do the encore at a minimum. 

2 hours ago, atmicwedgy said:

Sunday as well - hopefully someone from Friday or Saturday can share the set list.  
Last year JW conducted second half of the show.  Which doesn’t really guarantee anything for this year. I imagine he will do the encore at a minimum. 

Ya, did they have any JW merch?

I hope the heat doesn’t effect anything.

Hi!
I'll be attending both Friday and Sunday concerts. I'd been contemplating doing so for years... looks like it will finally happen!

14 hours ago, Jay said:

It's been indeed damn hot here today (arrived in LA on Tuesday). I spent a few hours in Pasadena and those were not the best conditions to walk and explore the area. Scorching heat really... and temperatures are expected to be even higher by the end of the week! :o

17 hours ago, Gibster said:

Ya, did they have any JW merch?

I hope the heat doesn’t effect anything.

They did not have any last year, which was a major bummer.  Especially after returning after pandemic closures.
And with supply-chain issues still a thing, I would imagine we may not see any this year, but fingers crossed.

I've never seen any merch at any orchestral concert, only pop/rock concerts

What type of merch are you guys expecting?

On 31/08/2022 at 9:28 AM, Jay said:

SO!

Who from JWFan is attending the concerts this weekend!?  Let's hear from you!

I'll be at Sunday night's performance, in section K1!

I'll be at the Friday night concert! 

Would love to meet up and chat.

My plane is scheduled to land at LAX at 8pm tomorrow; I can't guarantee when I could arrive somewhere, but if people are going out for drinks after the concert, post what bar here and I'll try to attend!

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

My plane is scheduled to land at LAX at 8pm tomorrow; I can't guarantee when I could arrive somewhere, but if people are going out for drinks after the concert, post what bar here and I'll try to attend!

I'll look up some nearby spots.

I'm down for heading out again Sunday night too.

13 minutes ago, Gibster said:

These hat’s at Tangelwood where amazing, would love something similar 

Hehehe... I bought one too

I think that was the first time I ever noticed any product sold relating to the orchestral concert I was attending, ever (other than a program)

1 minute ago, SteveMc said:

I'll look up some nearby spots.

Thanks; I don't know the area at all

1 minute ago, SteveMc said:

I'm down for heading out again Sunday night too.

Nice!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I've never seen any merch at any orchestral concert, only pop/rock concerts

What type of merch are you guys expecting?

They usually have themed posters and T-shirts each year for John Williams shows:
c12ed86b-1fbc-4a53-ab18-d77868d6e2b9
JW_2_Posters_unframed_590x.jpg?v=1569730

H2 Kitchen and Bar is like within walking distance to the Bowl. Seems a well regarded spot, kitchen open until closing. Might be there on Friday night with a friend after the concert. Place is open until 12. Jameson's pub is just a stone's throw from there, open until 2.

Also a couple of karaoke spots around.

They didn't have any merch last year....sadly. I'm not going this year but I would love to go next year. Now, if you guys haven't been, they do sell snacks but they encourage guests bring wine and cheese and snacks like that. Other guests around my wife and I did that and I thought it was very unique 

4 hours ago, SteveMc said:

H2 Kitchen and Bar is like within walking distance to the Bowl. Seems a well regarded spot, kitchen open until closing. Might be there on Friday night with a friend after the concert. Place is open until 12. Jameson's pub is just a stone's throw from there, open until 2.

Well done!

Set list released:

https://www.hollywoodbowl.com/events/performances/1754/2022-09-03/maestro-of-the-movies

I know they have done programs split between Williams and other film scores in recent years, but I guess I figured - it being the 90th year celebration - that Williams would be the sole focus. Guess I need to listen to some of the unfamiliar ones. 

3 hours ago, Gibster said:

I assume the Imperial March is a lock to be played?

That or Raiders’ March seem to be Williams’ go-to encores, especially if ET is already in the main program.

-

Neat that the Kenobi theme is getting another live performance. Bummer it wasn’t included in any of the recent East Coast concerts! I hope everyone here who’s going has fun. :)

Glad that Obi-Wan is included as well.  
I was able to enjoy it at Star Wars Celebration (while amazed that JW was conducting), but that was the first time anyone had heard it - so will be nice to listen to it again, this time being far more familiar. 

Still a lil disappointed that we have not heard his "Rise of Skywalker" theme performed live at the Bowl tho.  Ah well, "maybe next year"  

3 hours ago, atmicwedgy said:

Glad that Obi-Wan is included as well.  
I was able to enjoy it at Star Wars Celebration (while amazed that JW was conducting), but that was the first time anyone had heard it - so will be nice to listen to it again, this time being far more familiar. 

Still a lil disappointed that we have not heard his "Rise of Skywalker" theme performed live at the Bowl tho.  Ah well, "maybe next year"  

I was at Celebration too! I cried when Williams appeared with no warning and debuted the theme.

4 hours ago, rpvee said:

I was at Celebration too! I cried when Williams appeared with no warning and debuted the theme.

And then when ****** Harrison Ford joined the stage with him!!  :w00t: 
Was too excited to recall if that was before or after Indy theme was played....I think before?