John Williams - Maestro of the Movies: Celebrating John Williams at 90 (Hollywood Bowl, Sept. 2.,3.,4, 2022)

Andrej

I am sad to report it took me so long to pick up my rental car, I won't be able to make it out tonight.  Looking forward to post-show activities tomorrow night as well as Sunday night :)

6 minutes ago, atmicwedgy said:

So other than Indy 5 (and I think Imperial March), were there any other encore son... pieces?  :D

Raiders March came right after Helena's theme. Then he walked off, came back on for Imperial March

The Obi Wan theme opened with the softer string ending so far as I can tell from this video with poor audio quality and lots of ambient noises. Interesting to not hear the sharp, surprising string opening JW premiered the piece with. Or is the audio just bad?

Is there a definitive set list over the last two nights?  Setlists.com is missing info, and I think I found a clip of “Schindler's List” - but can’t verify it’s from this year.  Thanks. 

4 hours ago, Nathan95 said:

Was literally just about to share those images with you! 😆 I'll put them here for the thread anyway.

And yes, Helena's theme was played again tonight so should be on tomorrow as well. :)

dofj0.jpg

-o4lhdd.jpg

-yz8pet.jpg

I like that touch of art déco.

7 hours ago, atmicwedgy said:

Is there a definitive set list over the last two nights?  Setlists.com is missing info, and I think I found a clip of “Schindler's List” - but can’t verify it’s from this year.  Thanks. 

‘Twas verified from a mate that “Schindler’s List” does in fact follow Fiddler. 

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

So that means Mike Matessino is a JWFan member? :D 

He reads, but had no account. 

46 minutes ago, Holko said:

I hope you guys gave the poor lady something to do so she wouldn't get bored out of her mind after 5 seconds of scoretalk!

Ha! We didn't talk about scores at lunch. Well, maybe a little bit :lol:

39 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

I like that Orville t-shirt!

Thanks! Only one person all day commented on it. 

4 hours ago, Jay said:

mini JWFan meetup Saturday morning.  Right to left is Mike Matessino, myself, Jim Ware, and his wife Aparna

Mels.jpg

It seems we are all cut out of the same piece of wood.

Hey folks!

I was unable to get out to the Bowl area the previous two nights, but tonight I am going to the concert, and would love to grab drinks with anyone after the show who's interested.

Was that H2 Kitchen & Bar place mentioned the other day a good spot for that, or does anyone recommend a better one?

I would have sworn the concert started at 8 and doors were at 730, but I got here at 7:50 and it was already ongoing so I guess it started at 730.  Woops!

Seeing With Malice Towards None played by Tom Hooten live was pretty great

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

I would have sworn the concert started at 8 and doors were at 730, but I got here at 7:50 and it was already ongoing so I guess it started at 730.  Woops!

Seeing With Malice Towards None played by Tom Hooten live was pretty great

The real stuff hasn’t started yet.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Hey folks!

I was unable to get out to the Bowl area the previous two nights, but tonight I am going to the concert, and would love to grab drinks with anyone after the show who's interested.

Was that H2 Kitchen & Bar place mentioned the other day a good spot for that, or does anyone recommend a better one?

I'm keen to join. Don't count on me to recommend a place though, I'm far from being a local 

Helena's Theme is real nice! 

Hopefully someone recorded what he said beforehand tonight... Something about "watching Phoebe and Harrison was like 2 1/2 hours of pleasure"

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Where can I find a recording of what Williams said about it Saturday evening?

Indy speech and music not quite complete...

John Williams LIVE at the Hollywood Bowl September 3, 2022 performing a preview of “Helena’s Theme” from Indiana Jones 5

So now we have John Williams describing Harrison Ford as

a) adolescent

b) teenager

c) juvenile.

Harrison Ford is many things... 

harrison ford friends GIF by Maudit

25 minutes ago, Nathan95 said:

I'm wondering if anyone got a recording of what he said in reaction to accidentally skipping 'Harry's Wonderous World' on the Saturday.

Wouldn't mind a clear reminder otherwise I'll be paraphrasing that story for the rest of my life

They didn’t play it?

18 hours ago, Nathan95 said:

I'm wondering if anyone got a recording of what he said in reaction to accidentally skipping 'Harry's Wonderous World' on the Saturday.

Wouldn't mind a clear reminder otherwise I'll be paraphrasing that story for the rest of my life

If this story has been posted on the forum, I haven't seen it yet.  What happened?

I don't think it's been posted to the forum either; I heard about it in person Sunday morning

He basically went straight to whatever was after HWW and someone in the orchestra had to stop him and remind him they hadn't done HWW yet - something like that

He probably forgot he's ever written a theme for Harry and his little friends. I'm sure he's looking forward to writing one for the next Potter spinoff.