Jerry Goldsmith's STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE (1979) - 2022 2-CD Remastered Edition (La-La Land Records)

Jay

STTMP2022.jpg

Announced via Facebook here.

Mike Matessino says:

"It's not expanded from the 2-CD set, it's expanded from the 1979 original soundtrack."

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=146921&forumID=1&archive=0&viewLast=1

Would be interesting to get a two disk expansion of a three CD set.

Anyway, I haven't purchased a Goldsmith score in more than a decade, I think. The Alien expansion was the last one. But I am seriously considering this one.

16 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Would be interesting to get a two disk expansion of a three CD set.

Anyway, I haven't purchased a Goldsmith score in more than a decade, I think. The Alien expansion was the last one. But I am seriously considering this one.

Sounds like you missed on on the previous 2 CD edition from LLLR?

If this is what I think it is, I think it will be worth it.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

More from Mike

So this means Paramount can put this edition on all streaming / digital music sale platforms

And the 4k box of the first 4 movies that came out last year finally had the isolated score that had been planned 20 years ago too, right?

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, it certainly did have the isolated score, I just wasn't completely sure it was the first release of it.

And I just found this review that seems to confirm it was new:

The only new bonus feature is the very welcome Jerry Goldsmith Isolated Score in legacy Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/97015/startrekthemotionpicture4k.html

I should buy that boxset!

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

So are "the first generation multi-track transfers" used for the new release the same as "the original masters" used for the 3 CD set?

It sounds like it is different. It’s kind of weird, the way he talks about it, though, as if they are literally ignoring everything they have done since 1979 and doing this from scratch.

After reading Mike's post again I think that the original soundtrack album won't be included here; It's probably be the main program, those early wildly diffrent alternates, then the best / most important of the alternates that were on disc 3 on the old set.

Since Paramount owns everything, they could release the OST program on digital platforms too

The 3 CD set was created from the 2-inch 16 track backup recording, aside from the OST master included.

The primary live recording, and the digital recordings (from a couple of tracks) were the basis for the OST, and the 1999 Sony release (which was inadvertently illegal, a rather fascinating insight).

Unless they are using the Live recordings from before, I would imagine it would have to be from these backup sessions.

I have to say, the LLLR release sounds absolutely stunning to my mind. Unless there is improvement from the 3 CD set, I suspect there isn't much reason to purchase this new set for me.

If it is from some completely new and fantastic master, I might change my mind.

Both this and Trek V have a tinny edge to the reverb tails in their respective expansions. I could swear it's a 21st-century digital algorithmic reverb, not merely an artifact of the recordings' age or quality. If this new release eliminates this in favor of a more natural-sounding reverb, I'll be tempted to indulge.

43 minutes ago, Datameister said:

Both this and Trek V have a tinny edge to the reverb tails in their respective expansions. I could swear it's a 21st-century digital algorithmic reverb, not merely an artifact of the recordings' age or quality. If this new release eliminates this in favor of a more natural-sounding reverb, I'll be tempted to indulge.

This. Yes. This. 
You described it perfectly. 

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

But there is one distinction about the new edition to note when the release info is posted by La-La Land next week. We should leave it there and each person can make a decision then.

Well this has my attention. 

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Come on guys, this is obviously the right time to break out the classic

attention-curiosity.gif

I didn't feel like looking for it and I knew I could depend on someone else. 

If the distinction is natural reverb, I'm in.  When I listen to it, grand as it is, I am reminded why vinyl enthusiasts say it's a warmer sound than CD.

I mean, it still sounds great, and is crystal clear, but it's a different temperature of sound.

Oh I'll definitely pick this up, still annoyed I missed the 3CD.

At least anything that gets left off this version was already made available via the 3CD. Most of disc 3 seems to be alternate takes but I'm not sure if they're radically different from the correct film takes? Sometimes Mike just includes incorrect takes because previous releases included them incorrectly.

Happy if the 2CD is just Goldsmith's intended score, plus the early score, then any remaining alternates/curiosities that space permits.

(...no pun intended)

Well, LLL also posted :

“This new 2-CD edition is the official tie-in soundtrack to the forthcoming STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE: THE DIRECTOR’S EDITION, premiering this year on the Paramount Plus streaming service. Post-Production Supervisor/Associate Producer Mike Matessino co-produces the album with Bruce Botnick, handling restoration, editing and assembly of the music.

This edition definitively presents the full film score on CD1, continuing through the start of CD2. The program now begins with the long version of the “Overture,” reflective of “The Director’s Edition,” with the short version heard in 1979 now kicking off a section of “Alternates” on CD2, which feature early versions of major score cues that were later reworked. Closing out the presentation is the enduring 1979 soundtrack album program, now re-created from the remixed first generation master material for consistent and superior sound quality throughout the set. “

So the OST program is included is a reconstruction from the original source tapes remastered et al~

Nice. I’ll get this now.

Hmm. Literal copypasted cues from the same source with some slightly differently placed unnoticeable performance edits over more unique stuff.

More from Mike

-------------------------------------

"looks like the early score cues and album presentation is there, and it's the other alternates that have been dropped."

Yes, like all of those alternate incorrect takes that we included for no reason other than because they were on the 1999 release.... wrong takes expanded by a company that didn't have the rights to the album at the time and who basically told off the director of the movie. But at least it padded out a third CD and allowed us to include the beam and synth material, false starts with chit-chat and the two cover recordings. We made lemonade and the set certainly remains collectable for those tracks.

&

"The notes in the 3CD set say the late and much-respected arranger/pianist, Ian Fraser, created the long and short versions of the Overture, with the short version selected for the original release for no better reason than it fitted Reel 1 without any cutting required.
I prefer the performance and pacing of the shorter version, which sounds to me more in keeping with the feel of the score, rather than the more concert-like longer version."

Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.

The original album track, "Ilia's Theme," which features Ian Fraser on piano, is not the same as the Overture. The 1999 release moved it to the start of the CD because they didn't know the difference. It's 100% a track recorded for album.

The long version of the "Overture" features a French horn rather than piano. The second half of it is identical to the short version, which they used in 1979 to keep the reel running time down, yes. The 2012 LLL set had both but started with the short version; now we start with the long one.

As for "Ilia's Theme" -- it has ONLY been heard sourced from the live stereo mix off the 1630 digital master. Until now.

&

"So here's another question...
Now we are about to get Ilia's theme in sound quality exactly matching the excellent full score presentation (having previously been of slightly lesser album sound quality), where in the full score would be the best place to program it, if one so wanted? Within the score at some particular point? Or to replace the Overture?"

It doesn't "belong" anywhere other than as part of the experience of listening to the 1979 album, really no different from "The Meld," which is a completely different take on the album than in the movie. The fact that the Overture is a similar composition is really coincidental.

&

"I don't know who else remembers this, but that 1999 CD was delayed for (correct me if I'm remembering this wrong) YEARS. I don't remember when it was announced or all of the delays. There were a couple of Next Generation movies that Paramount didn't want to "interfere" with. I guess that would have been First Contact and Insurrection.

I specifically remember that one of the delays gave them time to find Floating Office.

Obviously it doesn't hold a candle to the 3 CD LLL set. But we were ecstatic to have it. (I can say the same of the Rhino Superman.)

Thanks for the updates, Mike and MV."

It was also held up by our attempts to halt it. As I said earlier, Pararmount caved, depriving us of a properly expanded mass market expansion to tie in with Director's Edition in 2001. Yes, Jerry was credited as producing the '99 release, which is why it mostly avoided the cues that Fred Steiner and Sandy Courage did, but apart from keeping it from being complete at the time, he didn't really do anything. "Floating Office" was a late add that resulted in the multi-track reel containing the cue landing in the Sony Music vault and requiring a good deal of wangling 12 years later (credit to Lukas for that) to liberate it and bring it back to the company of the other 36 rolls at Paramount where it belonged. Incidentally that was the one added cue on that release that offered the correct performance. When it comes to the 1999 release, my gloves are off. La-La Land deserves the highest praise for doing it right.

&

"Mike, did you have any hand at all in the LLL remaster? Or was it all Botnick? Either way, it has fantastic sound."

It was a collaboration. i did all the editing and cleanup, Bruce did the mix and mastering. We then had to revisit it a few times, first for the modified "Inner Workings" track, then for the vinyl, with high resolution outputs and appropriate adjustments made for that, then for the new 2-CD version this year so that I could recreate the original album tracks ("The Enterprise" is the only track that is exactly the same in the film), and then again for the new film mix, for which I conformed the multi-track to the picture and then Bruce mixed. We've gotten a lot of mileage out of that transferred data from 2011.

I'm trying to comprehend that last one Jay quoted.  Does that mean they only tweaked the Botnick mix and masters for the album tracks on this release, or will the film score assembly also be sonically different from the 3CD?  I mean, it sounds like they tweaked it for the film mix for the 4K Blu Ray of the Director's cut(?) but did they tighten it for the Disc 1 and first half of Disc 2 ?

Sounds like they only worked on the album rebuild for this edition, with everything else being the same as the 3-CD version except for Inner Workings, which is now the version from the 50th

I feel I may end up buying this if only because it's easily one of my top 5 scores of all time (and top Jerry score) but given that I really don't ever listen to the OST programme, a sonic upgrade is of modest interest despite the takes being different - they sound pretty great anyway. This isn't really like Star Trek II or Superman where much better/first generation (or however you want to call it) masters were found and TMP always sounded pretty decent anyway. Guess I'll be one of the many poring over the various discussions to work out if the improvements warrant getting another copy.

Interesting about the 1999 version... the one thing I will say in its defence is that I actually really enjoy it as an assembly of the score. Yes, it's nice to have those shorter cues near the beginning and the Fred Steiner material (which, naturally, sounds much closer to the tone of the original series music, those melodramatic chords in Goodbye Klingon/Epsilon Nine in particular) but the 1999 album is long enough to let the score breath but is just a slightly tighter listening experience without as many of the compromises of the original 45 minute album.

27 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Interesting about the 1999 version... the one thing I will say in its defence is that I actually really enjoy it as an assembly of the score. Yes, it's nice to have those shorter cues near the beginning and the Fred Steiner material (which, naturally, sounds much closer to the tone of the original series music, those melodramatic chords in Goodbye Klingon/Epsilon Nine in particular) but the 1999 album is long enough to let the score breath but is just a slightly tighter listening experience without as many of the compromises of the original 45 minute album.

I agree, I burned a CD recreating the 1999 programme from the more recent releases (more or less—I don’t mean used the same takes), and it’s my go-to listen for this score.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The original 1979 LP program was under 40 minutes, actually

So even worse value for money than the £26 I paid for the Japanese import in 1990 something then… shit.

1 hour ago, Pellaeon said:

I agree, I burned a CD recreating the 1999 programme from the more recent releases (more or less—I don’t mean used the same takes), and it’s my go-to listen for this score.

Glad I’m not the only one. I did it as an iTunes playlist. I used the longer version of the overture (Ilia’s theme) from the original album and the alternate of the Force Field (so it includes that blaster beam intro which the film version doesn’t I think…) but otherwise taken from the film assembly. It’s nice not having the sound quality suddenly drop off in A Good Start! 

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

Perfect!

I love ST: FC

I love STV.

But, this one doesn't do anything for me.

What's wrong with me, doctor?😣:(

I... Don't know. But something sure is. :) *

@Jay, that's Yasunori Mitsuda, right? Gotta admit it's throwing me off. So what piece of music by this person should I check out?

* When I make absolute statements about matters of taste I'm kidding.

6 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

@Jay, that's Yasunori Mitsuda, right? Gotta admit it's throwing me off.

Right!

6 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

So what piece of music by this person should I check out?

Chrono Trigger!

More from Mike

"For the main score and the early alternates, the audio is the same as the 2012 edition, except for going back to 192k 24bit outputs and applying some very minor esoteric fixes here and there. I had Bruce Botnick mix out the other takes that were needed to recreate the album performances and then that was put together. For the 2012 release the OST came from the 1979 44k 16bit digital stereo 1630 tape.

This was a completely separate operation from my conforming the multi-track music to the Director's Edition, which Bruce then remixed."

Geez, I wish Star Wars would get the same love and attention as Star Trek, both film and score.

Imagine Disney commissioning a new Dolby Atmos mix and asking Mike to create an Atmos mix of the score, using the multi-track masters!

Assuming those masters were ever recovered, of course  :/