Jerry Goldsmith's STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE (1979) - 2022 2-CD Remastered Edition (La-La Land Records)

Jay

LLL already has a hit on their hands

I fully hope this release of STAR TREK - THE MOTION PICTURE will be another smash for LaLaLand.

It already is and it's not even out yet. Wholesale pre-orders are quite out of this world...probably the best we have had since [...] Trek 2.

[...]

MV

If it were me I'd take the gamble.  Pretty much no releases, even the big ones, sell through that quickly anymore.  My calculus is probably different though since I can easily order through a 3rd party seller like Screen Archives and I'm guessing that's not as simple a switch for you living on the planet's underbelly ;) 

But....

image.png

Bruce: in your never ending crusade to "humor" the C&C enthusiasts, doesn't it ever occur to you that this might be for the people who missed these releases the first time around? It's not like ST isn't a big enough property to where there's feasibly enough fans to warrant the high amount of units being ordered and sold.

Meanwhile I digged into some of the Star Trek movie scores, and even though I will never become a fan of that main title march (Goldsmith is almost good at everything except at doing the Williams) there are great scores in that series. But I see the Goldsmith scores above all the others, that I listened to. I can't do anything with Horners scores or McCarthy's Generations. For me it is just Goldsmith here.

That is. Shame. I hold Star track the motion picture above all other Goldsmith scores. However warners scores for wrath of Khan and search for Spock are amazing in their own right they're exciting emotional gut-wrenching everything that Goldsmith scores are.

It is interesting ...  I'm not a music scholar, but if you deconstruct Horner's Main Theme, it is structurally a reworking of the phrases of Goldsmith's theme, with the notes and time signature shifted.  Probably common knowledge and surprising to nobody.

And furthermore, if you deconstruct Goldsmith's theme (revised after Robert Wise didn't like his first theme), it is remarkable similar in structure to Williams' Star Wars Main Title.  Again, I'm not a music scholar, but you could probably play them at the same tempo in counterpoint with each other and they'd line up.

Although I have two sealed LLL ST: TMP Vinyls- I also believe that this issue now a formaly Paramount Pictures release will probbaly at some point be issued on vinyl again. 

http://secure.campaigner.com/csb/Public/show/4our-2i8mmf--y8of4-ag4f6q3

STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE (2-CD SET) LLLCD 1579
Music by Jerry Goldsmith
LIMITED EDITION OF 10000 UNITS
RETAIL PRICE: $29.98

STARTS SHIPPING FEB 22

Order yours from www.lalalandrecords.com starting 12 noon (pst) on 2/22

Jerry Goldsmith’s iconic original score to Paramount Pictures’ 1979 feature film STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE boldly returns with a limited edition 2-CD re-issue from La-La Land Records and Paramount MNusic.

The first big screen voyage of Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock was a high budget and ambitious undertaking that introduced Goldsmith’s famous and enduring Star Trek march (later used as the main theme for Star Trek: The Next Generation) as the cornerstone of an epic science fiction musical odyssey. Like the film’s refit starship Enterprise, La-La Land’s lavish 2012 restoration presented the score anew: fully restored, remixed and mastered from the first generation multi-track masters by Bruce Botnick, the original album co-producer and Goldsmith’s long time scoring engineer.

This new 2-CD edition is the official tie-in soundtrack to the forthcoming STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE: THE DIRECTOR’S EDITION, premiering this year on the Paramount Plus streaming service. Post-Production Supervisor/Associate Producer Mike Matessino co-produces the album with Botnick, handling restoration, editing and assembly of the music.

This edition definitively presents the full film score on CD1, continuing through the start of CD2. The program now begins with the long version of the “Overture,” reflective of “The Director’s Edition,” with the short version heard in 1979 now kicking off a section of “Alternates” on CD2, which feature early versions of major score cues that were later reworked. Closing out the presentation is the enduring 1979 soundtrack album program, now re-created from the remixed first generation master material for consistent and superior sound quality throughout the set.

Matessino collaborates with Jeff Bond on the thoroughly researched album notes, which feature interview excerpts by Goldsmith, Botnick and performers Craig Huxley and David Newman. The packaging and 28-page full color booklet are designed by Jim Titus and feature new images from “The Director’s Edition.”

TRACK LISTING:

CD 1
THE FILM SCORE 86:37

1 Overture 2:49
2 Main Title And Klingon Battle 7:02
3 Total Logic 3:54
4 Floating Office 1:07
5 The Enterprise 6:01
6 Malfunction 1:31
7 The Crew Briefing 2:12
8 Leaving Drydock (Film Version) 3:33
9 Captain’s Log – Warp One :49
10 No Goodbyes :54
11 Spock’s Arrival 2:04
12 Captain’s Log – Warp Seven 1:49
13 Meet V’Ger 3:04
14 The Cloud (Film Version) 5:05
15 V’Ger Flyover 5:03
16 The Force Field 5:06
17 Micro Exam 1:15
18 Games 5:35
19 Spock Walk (Film Version) 4:23
20 System Inoperative 2:03
21 Hidden Information 3:58
22 Inner Workings 4:04
23 V’Ger Speaks 4:05
TOTAL TIME CD 1 77:45

CD 2
THE FILM SCORE (CONT’D)

1 The Meld And A Good Start 5:38
2 End Credits 3:15

ADDITIONAL MUSIC 29:10
3 Overture (Short Version) 1:42
4 The Enterprise (Alternate) 6:07
5 Leaving Drydock (Alternate) 2:40
6 No Goodbyes (Alternate) :57
7 Spock’s Arrival (Alternate) 2:03
8 Micro Exam (Alternate) 1:18
9 Games (Alternate Excerpt) 3:51
10 Inner Workings (Alternate) 4:38
11 The Meld (Alternate) 3:18
12 A Good Start 2:29

ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK ALBUM 40:36
13 Main Title / Klingon Battle 6:54
14 Leaving Drydock 3:33
15 The Cloud 4:59
16 The Enterprise 6:02
17 Ilia’s Theme 3:04
18 Vejur Flyover 4:59
19 The Meld 3:18
20 Spock Walk 4:21
21 End Title 3:20
TOTAL DISC 2 TIME 78:45

TOTAL 2-DISC TIME 2:36:30

Music Composed and Conducted by JERRY GOLDSMITH
Performed by The Hollywood Studio Symphony

This certainly looks complete enough. I mean, you'll take my 2012 set from my cold, dead hands. But this is terrific. And I know at least one person who missed the 2012 and is looking forward to it.

I'd say this absolutely captures the most essential tracks from the 3-CD edition hands down. 

The one track I miss the most is certainly the Ilia's Theme alternate from the end of disc 3

This is probably what you'd call the perfect expanded release of the score, were it not for the Sony release causing Mike and LLL to feel the need to include all the wrong takes released in 1999 on their 3 disc set (if I'm understanding that situation correctly?). Complete final score and all of the significant alternates plus a remastered OST. Had I missed the 3 disc set I'd be very satisfied with this release and delighted with the opportunity to get my hands on it.

I had the most fun playing Disc 3. Just before it sold out I bought another copy. But the new set with the Redone OST will be worth it.

Here's a track listing comparison with the previous 3CD set for those interested.

* same track as before

** few seconds of difference

CD 1
THE FILM SCORE 86:37

1 Overture 2:49 => CD3 track 1 (Overture [long version])
2 Main Title And Klingon Battle 7:02 => CD1 track 2*
3 Total Logic 3:54 => CD1 track 3*
4 Floating Office 1:07 => CD1 track 4**
5 The Enterprise 6:01 => CD1 track 5**
6 Malfunction 1:31 => CD1 track 6**
7 The Crew Briefing 2:12 => CD1 track 7** (name changed from Goodbye Klingon/Goodbye Epsilon Nine/Pre-Launch)
8 Leaving Drydock (Film Version) 3:33 => CD1 track 8** (track now labeled as film version)
9 Captain’s Log – Warp One :49 => CD1 track 9** (name changed from TV Theme/Warp Point Eight)
10 No Goodbyes :54 => CD1 track 10**
11 Spock’s Arrival 2:04 => CD1 track 11**
12 Captain’s Log – Warp Seven 1:49 => CD1 track 12** (name changed from TV Theme/Warp Point Nine)
13 Meet V’Ger 3:04 => CD1 track 13**
14 The Cloud (Film Version) 5:05 => CD1 track 14* (now labeled as film version)
15 V’Ger Flyover 5:03 => CD1 track 15**
16 The Force Field 5:06 => CD1 track 16**
17 Micro Exam 1:15 => CD1 track 17**
18 Games 5:35 => CD1 track 18 (former combined track 18 and 19)
19 Spock Walk (Film Version) 4:23 => CD1 track 18 (former combined track 18 and 19)
20 System Inoperative 2:03 => CD1 track 19*
21 Hidden Information 3:58 => CD1 track 20*
22 Inner Workings 4:04 => CD1 track 21*
23 V’Ger Speaks 4:05 => CD2 track 1**

CD 2
THE FILM SCORE (CONT’D)

1 The Meld And A Good Start 5:38 => CD2 track 2**
2 End Credits 3:15 => CD2 track 3**

ADDITIONAL MUSIC 29:10
3 Overture (Short Version) 1:42 => CD1 track 1**
4 The Enterprise (Alternate) 6:07 => CD2 track 4** (formely labeled as early version)
5 Leaving Drydock (Alternate) 2:40 => CD2 track 5** (name changed from Leaving Drydock [early version])
6 No Goodbyes (Alternate) :57 => CD2 track 6** (formely labeled as early version)
7 Spock’s Arrival (Alternate) 2:03 => CD2 track 7** (formely labeled as early version) or possibly CD3 track 7**
8 Micro Exam (Alternate) 1:18 => CD2 track 8** (formely labeled as early version) or possibly CD3 track 8**
9 Games (Alternate Excerpt) 3:51 => CD2 track 9** (formely labeled as early version) or possibly CD3 track 9**
10 Inner Workings (Alternate) 4:38 => CD2 track 10** (formely labeled as early version)
11 The Meld (Alternate) 3:18 => CD3 track 14** (formely labeled as film version)
12 A Good Start 2:29 => CD3 track 15** (formely labeled as discrete)

ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK ALBUM 40:36
13 Main Title / Klingon Battle 6:54 => CD2 track 11**
14 Leaving Drydock 3:33 => CD2 track 12**
15 The Cloud 4:59 => CD2 track 13**
16 The Enterprise 6:02 => CD2 track 14**
17 Ilia’s Theme 3:04 => CD2 track 15**
18 Vejur Flyover 4:59 => CD2 track 16**
19 The Meld 3:18 => CD2 track 17**
20 Spock Walk 4:21 => CD2 track 18**
21 End Title 3:20 => CD2 track 19**

1 minute ago, Jay said:

You beat me just by one second :P

I just realized I neglected the difference with "Inner Workings".  The 50th anniversary set included the "film version" but was that just a different mix of the same take that made the wind machine more prominent, or was it different take(s)?

I will be buying this to support the label, because I love the score, I love the film, Jim Titus' new designs with images from the DE, and the minor upgrades in sound are enough for me.  (I am secretly [not so secretly?] hoping Mike dialed back the reverb a tad, but that seems to be my personal hang-up, I freely admit it.

One thing I treasure on the 3 CD is the Raw Takes of the Main Title.  Just... GOLD, and a nice companion to the multiple takes of the Star WARS main title on the 1997 SE CD set.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The one track I miss the most is certainly the Ilia's Theme alternate from the end of disc 3

This and the concert Main Title are the two really indispensable tracks that this new set will not have. IMHO. (YES I need four versions of the Overture / Ilia's theme!)

That's assuming that the Main Title on disc 1 is the theatrical version, of course.

1 minute ago, Tallguy said:

This and the concert Main Title are the two really indispensable tracks that this new set will not have. IMHO. (YES I need four versions of the Overture / Ilia's theme!)

That's assuming that the Main Title on disc 1 is the theatrical version, of course.

Concert main title? Isn't that just an edit using the OST album take?

2 minutes ago, MynHunt said:

When does this go on sale? It says 2/22 but its not up? I might be blind?

3 hours ago, Jay said:

starting 12 noon (pst) on 2/22

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The LLL booklet says that track is made up of take 85 of the Main Title, and takes 200, 202, and 203 of the End Title.

The film version of the Main Title uses takes 87 and 88

The album version of the Main Title uses takes 63 and 64

The film version of the End Credits uses takes 199 and 203.

The album version of the End Credits uses takes 200 and 203.

This is all in the google doc I posted earlier, of course.

I just like having a track that has the opening titles mixed with the Ilia suite and the end credits. Having a Jerry opening title that has a beginning AND an ending is a rarity. :)

I mean, I can mix my own...

~ 2 hours and 22 minutes (on 2/22/22) and counting!

I never said the track had no value, I was replying to Faleel's post immediately before mine where he thought they used the album take of the main title to make it, by sharing the information from the booklet that it was different from the album take

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

I never said the track had no value, I was replying to Faleel's post immediately before mine where he thought they used the album take of the main title to make it, by sharing the information from the booklet that it was different from the album take

I certainly didn't think you did. All good. 

Also I never realized what a potpourri of takes that track is. 

Ordered! Now... Do I stick to my usual tradition of not listening until the new CDs arrive? I'm not sure I can do it!

Maybe I only listen to disk 3? :devil: Or do I just listen to The Wrath of Khan and the TOS Box a LOT?

I decided to take the double dip.

Essentially the remastered OST programme, as well as the separate film versions of Games and Spock Walk sold it for me.

I'm out of town for a while, so it may take a couple of weeks before I can assess this revised release.

I considered my purchase of the 3-disc version to be a double dip after begging family for the 2-disc version from 1999 (with the second disc being just talking about the TV show). 

I won't triple dip. 

1 hour ago, Positivatee said:

I considered my purchase of the 3-disc version to be a double dip after begging family for the 2-disc version from 1999 (with the second disc being just talking about the TV show). 

I won't triple dip. 

Your not welcome on this forum!😠

😉

I'm waiting for the first person who says they are buying it for the liner notes😝😜😗

I think, I will recreate this wonderfully rounded bonus section by means of the 3-disc-set.

By the way, I actually prefer the version of Inner Workings with the wind machine being more subtle. The new mix sounds a little less organic to my ears.

1 hour ago, OneBuckFilms said:

I just want to chime in with regards to Jay and his spreadsheets.

Thanks for the work you put into these. The one for this score is very informative, and a great reference.

It was included in the TrekCore article on the CDs.

https://blog.trekcore.com/2022/02/la-la-land-records-star-trek-motion-picture-directors-edition-soundtrack/