Jerry Goldsmith's STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE (1979) - 2022 2-CD Remastered Edition (La-La Land Records)

Jay

So, if I read the spreadsheet correctly, the third disc of 2012 release (not counting track 1) basically contains all the unique to that release, right? I will use the new set as my preferred playlist as it fixes some things I didn't like as much on the previous set but will keep disc 3 as bonus.

Karol

Three tracks from the third disc in the 2012 set are on the new 2022 set

1. 3-01    Overture (Long Version) - this is disc 1 track 1 of the 2022 set
  2. 3-14    The Meld (Film Version) - this is disc 2 track 11 of the 2022 set
  3. 3-15    A Good Start (Discrete) - this is disc 2 track 12 of the 2022 set

The rest of the material on that third disc is not on the new set.

Ah thanks Jay. I shall just keep the entire third disc from 2012 as a bonus to the 2022 set. 

I like the new presentation better actually. It fixes one tiny sound issue bugging me on the older set and the sequencing works better for me too. 

Karol

I have to admit, unless I'm playing the additional Ilia track the 2nd LLL is my go to.

EDIT: Or the concert version of the main theme.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Gibster said:

Thanks, still debating between that and a couple others. Ilias theme is the overture right? any difference?

Ilia's theme uses a piano and was recorded specifically for the album.

The Overture uses horns.

• 1 month later...

HAPPY STAR TREK DAY FLASH SALE!  Get 20% OFF Jerry Goldsmith's iconic STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE (2-CD SET) - NOW thru noon (pst) on 9/10.

https://lalalandrecords.com/star-trek-the-motion-picture-2-cd-set/

• 11 months later...

image.jpeg

On Sale Star Trek Day @ Noon ET at http://EnjoyTheRideRecords.com - Star Trek: The Motion Picture - The Director's Edition, Music Composed and Conducted by Jerry Goldsmith. #StarTrek #🖖

https://twitter.com/EnjoytherideRES/status/1699482200045994209

On Sale Star Trek Day (Friday, September 😎 at Noon ET: Enjoy The Ride Records, in conjunction with Paramount Music proudly presents Star Trek: The Motion Picture – The Director’s Edition, Music Composed and Conducted by Jerry Goldsmith.
Jerry Goldsmith's iconic score to the 1979 film has been restored, remixed, and mastered from the first-generation multi-track masters by Bruce Botnick (Original album Executive Producer and Goldsmith's long-time engineer). Mike Matessino co-produced the album with Botnick, handling the restoration, editing, and track assembly.
With over 80 minutes of music, Star Trek: The Motion Picture – The Director’s Edition is available on vinyl for the first time in this definitive assembly. Pressed on 2xLP 140g colored vinyl and housed in a high gloss gatefold jacket with black poly-lined inner sleeves, there is also a double-sided full-color insert nestled inside.

https://www.facebook.com/EnjoyTheRideRecords/posts/pfbid0DMk5Rk5aPHwD5pn7196thVsMB2EN4Y4feR3aSSg7s5zeHcnm2GoKFqq7rKCzVPCfl

Hey, what's this? It's a post from Jay. It says it's on the STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE thread. (Clicks.) OH! OH my GOODNESS! It's shiny! And colorful! And it's TMP! It's coming out FRIDAY?!? What is it? Money's kinda tight right now! But, I mean... Jeez! I've already bought this like FOUR times! What did they do now?!?

(reads reads reads)

Ah. Vinyl. Well. Never mind then. :P

1 hour ago, Andy said:

I regret not picking up the original LLL vinyl. The artwork on the cover was clever and atypical.  A Jim Titus job I believe.  This was how you do it.  As much as I love the effort behind the Director’s Edition as a whole, this presentation lacks inspiration.  I say this as someone who would only buy vinyl for the novelty or the artwork  IMG_0627.jpeg

I have this sealed!!

Hmmm. Interesting break up of the tracks. (I never looked at the old one.) Side 1 and 3 have the strongest "identity". But side 4 is a bit of a slog. With a wow finish.

I love making playlists of "sides". I'll have to try this out.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad folks are still paying attention to this thread as I've just gotten ahold of the amazing La-La Land Three-CD edition and have also been listening to the remixed OST on streaming services. I was hoping to discuss the remix aspect of newer soundtrack releases.

For the 2022 release, the entire 1979 OST album was remixed from original elements, which people praised for its clarity. However, I'm bothered by the fact that that it's noticeably a remix. To keep things simple, I've been focusing mainly on the different versions of the Main Title. For the remixed OST version, and the expanded score version from the 2012 and 2022 La-La Land releases, the main trumpet seems to be focused more in the right side. When listening to the theatrical version of the film itself or the 1979 OST, the trumpet is very much in the center of the stereo image.

It's funny because track 3-16 from the 2012 release, "Main Title [album take]," was rebuilt using the original elements, and it seems more balanced. That approach seems to have been abandoned when they went back to redo the whole album for the 2022 release.

Anyway, the bottom line is that the new mixes that we're getting don't sound exactly like the 1979 film or the OST. Is that a fair assessment? I'm eyeing other purchases like La-La Land's Superman: The Movie or Star Trek II releases, but am concerned the remix aspect will be distracting even if the sound quality is improved compared to previous releases.

Thanks for reading.

27 minutes ago, The_Fourth_Doctor said:

I'm glad folks are still paying attention to this thread as I've just gotten ahold of the amazing La-La Land Three-CD edition and have also been listening to the remixed OST on streaming services. I was hoping to discuss the remix aspect of newer soundtrack releases.

For the 2022 release, the entire 1979 OST album was remixed from original elements, which people praised for its clarity. However, I'm bothered by the fact that that it's noticeably a remix. To keep things simple, I've been focusing mainly on the different versions of the Main Title. For the remixed OST version, and the expanded score version from the 2012 and 2022 La-La Land releases, the main trumpet seems to be focused more in the right side. When listening to the theatrical version of the film itself or the 1979 OST, the trumpet is very much in the center of the stereo image.

It's funny because track 3-16 from the 2012 release, "Main Title [album take]," was rebuilt using the original elements, and it seems more balanced. That approach seems to have been abandoned when they went back to redo the whole album for the 2022 release.

Anyway, the bottom line is that the new mixes that we're getting don't sound exactly like the 1979 film or the OST. Is that a fair assessment? I'm eyeing other purchases like La-La Land's Superman: The Movie or Star Trek II releases, but am concerned the remix aspect will be distracting even if the sound quality is improved compared to previous releases.

Thanks for reading.

For my fanedit, for The Meld (Album Take), I spliced in the bits with the twinkly synths from the '79 master from the 3-CD; on the '22 they were mixed dead-center, where they used to be panned out with a stereo delay effect, or something, and felt properly "twinkly".

The Meld.png

The Superman OST sounds so bad that I don't mind a somewhat different mix.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

They did also rebuild the OST album from that fully analog source, but it's only available on digital stores and streaming sites, not the LLL release.

Interesting. What's the reason the CD differs from digital/streaming here?

4 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

My absolute favorite part of that interview:

Interesting. For my money, the 1999 programme is a great way to enjoy STTMP. Don’t get me wrong, I love having all of it (it’s one of my top 5 scores ever…) but cutting a couple of the warp speed cues and some of the shorter cues provides a tighter listening experience without missing anything essential. It’s great to be able to assemble that as a playlist from the LLL release, especially as the 1999 edition had oddly bad sound for A Good Start which fortunately the LLL release resolves.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Well for Star Trek II you don't have to worry about that, for 2 reasons.  1 is that the OST album portion is not a new rebuild or remix, but a remaster only (sourced from a new high res transfer of 1/2" analog tape that was sourced from the original digital recording).  The second reason is that while the main program and bonus tracks are technically a new remix and remaster, it isn't a completely brand new remix from the original multitrack, but a remix of a 3-track LCR mix down to 2-track stereo only (sourced from 1/2" analog tape that captured every take of every cue).

MIke & Neil did also rebuild the OST album from that fully analog source, but it's only available on digital stores and streaming sites, not the LLL release.

The LLL edition of Superman is indeed a complete remix - the main program, bonus tracks, and OST rebuild.  The source used was the original 1st generation tape that captured every take, which had never been located for any prior album or film re-release.  This first gen source didn't have stereo mixes on it, so Mike made his own new stereo mix from the multitrack, all in high res.  This new mix has received pretty universal acclaim, but with ANY remix, there will always be people who prefer one mix over another.  You can listen to the plethora of samples available on LLL's website to see how you feel about this mix yourself.

Thank you for that insight! I can read more on these other titles in their respective threads, but just a couple quick questions:

For Star Trek II, how does the La-La Land release's handling of the main program's mixes compare with the earlier Retrograde release (which I already own)? The Retrograde booklet says it's "been newly edited and re-mastered from the three-track film mixes..." (And not sure if the OST remix is what Apple Music is offering, but I didn't really notice much of a difference in that offering except maybe a little more emphasis in the bass.)

For Superman: The Movie, how does the La-La Land release's handling of the main program's mixes compare to the Film Score Monthly box set? (I only have the Rhino edition.) I'm not as familiar with Superman as I am with the Star Trek scores, so any remixes would probably be less obvious to me anyway.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

MIke & Neil did also rebuild the OST album from that fully analog source, but it's only available on digital stores and streaming sites, not the LLL release.

I noticed there are now two seemingly identical STII albums on Spotify, but I can't pick up which is which, if indeed they are different.

11 minutes ago, The_Fourth_Doctor said:

Thank you for that insight! I can read more on these other titles in their respective threads, but just a couple quick questions:

For Star Trek II, how does the La-La Land release's handling of the main program's mixes compare with the earlier Retrograde release (which I already own)? The Retrograde booklet says it's "been newly edited and re-mastered from the three-track film mixes..." (And not sure if the OST remix is what Apple Music is offering, but I didn't really notice much of a difference in that offering except maybe a little more emphasis in the bass.)

For Superman: The Movie, how does the La-La Land release's handling of the main program's mixes compare to the Film Score Monthly box set? (I only have the Rhino edition.) I'm not as familiar with Superman as I am with the Star Trek scores, so any remixes would probably be less obvious to me anyway.

La-La Land's website has samples you can listen to that answers these questions.  Or you can ask for people to share their thoughts in the appropriate threads.

10 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I noticed there are now two seemingly identical STII albums on Spotify, but I can't pick up which is which, if indeed they are different.

Here's how you can tell which is which.

La-La Land’s Superman release is from better sources than any other release, and had the input of John Williams from Mike Matessino.

in short, it is as close to definitive you will ever get, and the best the score has ever sounded.