THE COWBOYS - 2022 Vinyl edition

Jay

Cowboys1.jpg

THE COWBOYS – Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (Deluxe Edition) by John Williams

This 50th anniversary release celebrates John Wayne and one of his finest twilight westerns with a score composed by the living legend, John Williams. The Cowboys was the maestro’s biggest pre-Star Wars score, and a much-needed restoration job—featuring a complete rebuild, remix, remastering and expansion to 36 tracks (including unearthed alternate takes)—was done for a 3,000-unit, limited-edition CD re-issue that came out in 2018 and has since sold out. The first-ever official LP release, this double-record gatefold includes extensive notes and original photos and is pressed on gold vinyl exclusively for RSD 2022.

https://www.facebook.com/varesesarabanderecords/posts/1897002560492020

This 50th anniversary release of THE COWBOYS celebrates the a score composed by the living legend, John Williams. The first-ever official LP release, this double-record gatefold includes extensive notes and original photos and is pressed on gold vinyl exclusively for RSD 2022.

https://twitter.com/VareseSarabande/status/1494031616531857409/

I was hoping the vinyl revival would lead to a return of the l.p. program.

But, except for BLACK PANTHER ( which didn't get a CD release) these seem to just follow the  c + c protocols.

Which also doubles the price😒

I have the Varese CD, but not the Deluxe version that came out later, so this will be a good purchase for me.  Although I think "The Cowboys Overture" is one of Williams' best pieces of film-to-concert music, the score itself isn't among my favorites.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

3 hours ago, Junion said:

Yes, the 2022 Vinyl edition won`t be released in April but on June 18, 2022.

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/14750

UPDATE: never mind, they used the tracklist from the old bootleg on that site.

Hmm, I hadn't seen that track listing before:

1. Morning On The Ranch - 2:20
2. Trouble - 2:11
3. Moving Out - 2:27
4. The Campsite - 1:08
5. High Spirits - 1:59
6. A Man To Respect - 1:31
7. Nightfall - 1:42
8. Training Spills - 1:56
9. The Death Riders - 4:00
10. Final Conflict - 1:19
11. On The Trail Again - 1:28
12. Wayward Ladies - 1:37
13. Learning The Ropes - 1:40
14. The Takeover - 1:20
15. A Coward's Deed - 1:52
16. Death Of A Cowboy - 2:29
17. The Trap - 8:30
18. End Of The Drive - 1:27

Almost none of these titles are found on the Varèse expansion (or the older Varèse CD, for that matter), and a lot of the timings are different, indicating either edits or tracks that combine cues. Could this be an OST program proposed at the time but never released?

That's the tracklist of the bootleg vinyl LP that was in record stores in the 70s/80s. 

The writers of the article you quoted somehow used the old bootleg tracklist instead of the actual tracklist the release will have (which is the same tracklist as the 2018 CD)

~

JW never prepared an OST album for The Cowboys.  MM's assembly is the first and only composer-approved album that exists

Robert Townson made the 1994 Varese CD without JW's input (and put Harry Sukman's main title cue for the TV show on it without realizing that's what it was)

41 minutes ago, Jay said:

The writers of the article you quoted somehow used the old bootleg tracklist instead of the actual tracklist the release will have (which is the same tracklist as the 2018 CD)

image.png

• 1 month later...

According to Varese Sarabande's official Facebook, the Cowboys vinyl has had production delays and "will release later in the year almost definitely"

https://www.facebook.com/varesesarabanderecords/photos/a.190580947800865/1968234690035473/?comment_id=340078981601391&reply_comment_id=1202226747196869&__tn__=R*F

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

According to Varese Sarabande's official Facebook, the Cowboys vinyl has had production delays and "will release later in the year almost definitely"

https://www.facebook.com/varesesarabanderecords/photos/a.190580947800865/1968234690035473/?comment_id=340078981601391&reply_comment_id=1202226747196869&__tn__=R*F

I'm all for not having to show up to a record store on RSD. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This was only released yesterday, right?  Did you buy it in physical store?

Oh snap, I see my name up there - Is this the first vinyl release with my name on it?  Or am I mentioned on the LLL ET and SPR vinyl releases?  I just realized I have no idea!

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Yeah it was a Black Friday RSD release. I bought at my local store. I requested it and they only got one in stock. There are a lot for sale on Discogs. 

https://www.discogs.com/release/25193863-John-Williams-The-Cowboys-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack

I’ve also seen it on some record store sites in the US. 

https://www.roughtrade.com/us/product/john-williams/the-cowboys-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-50th-anniversary

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Oh snap, I see my name up there - Is this the first vinyl release with my name on it?  Or am I mentioned on the LLL ET and SPR vinyl releases?  I just realized I have no idea!

I got mine on a local RSD store. And yes, you're on ET and Saving Private Ryan.

IMG_20221126_185408.jpg

IMG_20221126_185432.jpg

2 hours ago, Toillion said:

Yeah, it’s a Pro-ject Debut Carbon Evo. Then I have a Sumiko Moonstone on it. 

Mine is a Debut Carbon DC with an Ortofon 2M Red.

It's connected to Project's Phono Box usb V which is great to convert vinyl recording to digital.

5 minutes ago, Hook85 said:

Also got it at my local record store. Unfortunatly the vinyl is quite noisy. Not okay considering the price.

Did you try giving it a clean? I thought mine sounded pretty good. 

One thing I really don't miss about vinyls: cleaning them!

Removing the surface dust, very gently first with a microfiber cloth (beware, it's at this step that you can damage your vinyl more than it was before), then removing the encrusted dirt with another microfiber cloth soaked with an iso alcohol/distilled water solution (1 to 3 if I remember well... no alcohol at all for very old records, like from the 50s or 40s... AND BEWARE OF THE CENTER STICKERS!), then dry up with another microfiber cloth... then letting it dry.

Hell on earth!