Nicholas Britell - ANDOR (2022)

Jay

Hmm. I'll give him a chance. I guess he hasn't really scored anything like this before so I'm ready to be surprised.

2 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I think I may have heard his name at some point, but I don't believe I've ever heard any of his music.

Here's his most famous composition at the moment:

I've only heard SUCCESSION and DON'T LOOK UP and they're ok. Sounds like he has more orchestral chops than Göransson so that's promising at least.

Also... he's doing THE LION KING sequel??? Crikey he is branching out.

Really cool choice! Kinda glad they went with a younger, new composer as opposed to Giacchino.

Or maybe Gia was offered and wasn't interested, who knows.

Weird that Andor's composer gets announced before Obi-Wan's, despite the latter premiering much sooner.

He already recorded Batman and Jurassic World last year. 

Lightyear and Thor 4 are the only projects he hasn't recorded yet that we know about (he'll probably score Next Goal Wins too) 

Or maybe they never offered it to Gia, either because he is a full time movie composer or because Kennedy knows Williams was not happy with his work on RO (or some other reason).  

I'll seek out some of his music to sample and will watch his career with great interest!

I think this is very exciting news.

Britell is a very strong composer who knows how to handle an orchestra. From what I understand this is a 'Spy Thriller'.

I think Britell will keep in line with the 'sound' of Star Wars, but do some fun stuff with it. I can't wait

Besides that, I read somewhere else that they might wait with a composer announcement for Obi-Wan till May The 4th. That might mean it's a bigger name!

6 hours ago, Tom said:

Or maybe they never offered it to Gia, either because he is a full time movie composer or because Kennedy knows Williams was not happy with his work on RO (or some other reason).  

Let the rumour mill commence!

It's all part of the rich Williams Cinematic Scoringverse. 

We don't know what Williams thought of Giacchino's work on RO. What we "sort of" know is that he had problem with them using his material verbatim without first consulting, and, more importantly, crediting him appropriately for said quotations. None of which would likely be Giacchino's decision anyway. That is the only firm bit of information coming from those rumours/reports. Everything else is really just speculation. 

Karol

In regards to Britell, I said this in my review of SUCCESSION: 

"In all honesty, I’ve not been a particularly big fan of Britell’s work so far, nor the überpraised Barry Jenkins movies for which he’s written the music. Which is why Succession took me by such surprise; displaying a side of him that I wasn’t aware of – a more classical, developped style that plays around with a wide array of orchestrational details."

Full review here: http://celluloidtunes.no/succession-nicholas-britell/

So if it hadn't been for SUCCESSION, I would not have been particularly enthused by this announcement. But now, I kinda am. I'm at least curious to hear what he can do within the STAR WARS universe. (Plus, I thank all that is Holy that neither Giacchino nor Göransson are anywhere near this).

Britell is a really nice choice. I absolutely loved his Cruella last year (probably the best 2022 score to my eyes) so I'm really curious.

Really weird that they didn't announced Obi-Wan's composer yet. May the 4th might be very disappointing.

"I know you've been waiting to know who will write the music of Obi-Wan for a long time. In order to give justice to such an iconic character we wanted a big name to score the show and after a long process of negotiation with one of the most brillant composer of all time, we are proud to announce that the show will be scored by.... Hans Zimmer!"

image.png

"Those morons really thought I was about to announce John Williams"

image.png

10 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

we are proud to announce that the show will be scored by.... Hans Zimmer!"

There will be enough people on Youtube leaking semen when listening to the 12 songs he will have composed for the show.

I like Britell, for instance his score for Vice is pretty good, although I'm not sure if his style will be up to the task for a Star Wars series. He also composed last year Cruela so, I guess that's his connection with Disney and seems an ok score for the movie.

Anyway, I'm glad we are getting a new composer.

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

What we "sort of" know is that he had problem with them using his material verbatim without first consulting, and, more importantly, crediting him appropriately for said quotations.

That's what I don't understand. Both the OST cover and the film's end credits say clearly that the original Star Wars themes are from John Williams. What else he wanted?

35 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

That's what I don't understand. Both the OST cover and the film's end credits say clearly that the original Star Wars themes are from John Williams. What else he wanted?

It's very clear that this 'rumour' sprung from people leaking internal information about Williams' displeasure not with credits and such (he must be displeased very often if that would so overly concern him), but probably the whole Desplat situation and Giacchino's limp variations on his tunes...which must sound amateurish to him. Since he doesn't listen to much film music, and who would blame him, he probably expected a more accomplished successor.

I like Britell. But I don't think he really has the orchestral/compositional chops to live up to the musical athleticism of a traditional Star Wars score...but we know this will be far from traditional. So colour me curious.

If anything, I'll probably enjoy it more than the Ludwig stuff.

3 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

POV: a new composer assignment has been announced and you're reading the subsequent JWFan thread

thor goransson.JPG

Ha, ha....brilliant! Must have gone some work into that; that's the way to do a ribbing!

3 hours ago, KK said:

I like Britell. But I don't think he really has the orchestral/compositional chops to live up to the musical athleticism of a traditional Star Wars score...

Who has?

No one, maybe. But Powell was certainly much closer to the mark than Britell, in terms of musicality at least.

6 hours ago, publicist said:

Who has?

4 hours ago, KK said:

No one, maybe. But Powell was certainly much closer to the mark than Britell, in terms of musicality at least.

I waited for you to say Chris Gordon to wholeheartedly agree with you (unrealistic as the choice may be).

It’s also not so much about stylistically sounding like classic Star Wars for me as it is about maximizing that level of robust orchestral writing. Which Powell got the closest to. Where else are you going to get the opportunity for that these days if not Star Wars?

• 2 months later...

Again, I am more excited for this composer to do a Star Wars score than the latest HZ flunk-bag:

Anything from 4:40 is much much more exciting than anything the Williams clones have managed!

This is truly exciting as Britell is idiosyncratic. It's a bit like 1992 when Goldenthal broke out, No one knew what this crazy saxophone guy from New York would do. He reinvented action and horror scoring with Alien 3. Britell is amazingly versatile, perhaps more than Goldenthal. But the field needs A REINVENTION, the Dunkirk shit is over. What we need is this >

7 hours ago, thestat said:

Again, I am more excited for this composer to do a Star Wars score than the latest HZ flunk-bag:

Anything from 4:40 is much much more exciting than anything the Williams clones have managed!

This is truly exciting as Britell is idiosyncratic. It's a bit like 1992 when Goldenthal broke out, No one knew what this crazy saxophone guy from New York would do. He reinvented action and horror scoring with Alien 3. Britell is amazingly versatile, perhaps more than Goldenthal. But the field needs A REINVENTION, the Dunkirk shit is over. What we need is this >

Wow, that Succession End Title Theme is excellent - those are the kind of sensibilities that fit well in Star Wars so I hope he brings it into the Andor score

19 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

Wow, that Succession End Title Theme is excellent - those are the kind of sensibilities that fit well in Star Wars so I hope he brings it into the Andor score

One of the best shows on television too

• 5 weeks later...

New Variety interview with Brittell

https://variety.com/2022/artisans/news/star-wars-andor-music-succession-composer-nicholas-britell-1235279455/

“It’s definitely orchestral-plus, I would say,” Britell said. “Orchestra features heavily in it. There’s a wide range of sounds, and I’ve created a lot of new sounds. There are strings and brass, but there’s also lots of other stuff too.

“Without giving anything away, I would say that [executive producer] Kathy Kennedy, [creator and showrunner] Tony Gilroy, everyone right from the beginning, felt it was very important that we craft a unique set of sounds for this story, for the characters, for the world we’re creating here.

“So there’s been a lot of conversation, but actually a lot of freedom too, for me to explore things. Everyone’s on the same page about having a specific set of soundscape textures, sound worlds, for this.”