Nicholas Britell - ANDOR (2022)

Jay

B the way, it was a subject of man complains that Williams' sequel scores sounded different than his Star Wars scores before. And I think, the prequel scores had a similar situation. But still it all sounded like Star Wars.

6 minutes ago, Andy said:

I don't think we're ever going to crack the code and all agree on the sound for Star Wars music.

We did before the Disney Revolution. Star Wars music in all forms was great and beloved. 

3 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Star Wars music in all forms was great and beloved. 

Interesting notion, because just before JW:D came out I was fully prepared to not like the score at all because Gia for me is hit and miss.

Had I not liked it.... umm, meh? It's not the end of the world if a particular installment of a franchise doesn't do it for you.

I guess that a lot of people care about whether the music for a franchise is beloved and respected. I'm afraid that I just don't - if a score's good, great. If it's not.... next. That's probably not an approach that some will share, but it's mine. I'm sure it's why a lot of people want some elaborate all-encompassing box set for SW that fans can think 'that's representing my favourite composer to the world'. I just don't have that mentality at all.

9 hours ago, Roll the Bones said:

Horner. Khan. Brainwashed/Trells Death/Buried Alive

Fair point. But they are not the defining moments of the score. Goldsmith had Steiner and Courage working for him and that was more of a nod to TOS than The Motion Picture ever made.

7 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

Bizarre musicals aside, the underscore of the Holiday Special sounds more like Star Wars than the TV shows which is...hilarious? Sad? A sign of changing times?

Well, the HS was the year after Star Wars. There was only one thing that sounded like Star Wars. Now there are 11 big budget motion pictures that sound like Star Wars plus TV shows and video games. I can understand if someone says "Hey I don't want to sound like the other 27 things."

OTOH, when I see little Disney things (the Star Wars logo, the environment flybys) that seem to oddly shy away from JW, that's when I start to think there is monetary rather than creative motivation. I suppose we've been spoiled for 30+ years at how much JW has been used in secondary products. Most properties would just take the generic approach that we're just now seeing from the very beginning. (Although Kenner didn't license the music for their 1978 ads at least.) Heck, the animated Star Trek didn't even license the Star Trek theme!

Britell's definitely got the chops to do grand orchestral stuff but it's more of a question of how he is being directed by Gilroy (who tends to go for minimalist and 'non-intrusive' stuff).

It also seems like they are going for the Succession route where Britell writes a set of themes that go through multiple variations based on the scene and episode. Whatever the case, this track from Vice shows what is possible, from 3:40 onwards, maybe not StarWars-y but at least massively orchestral in scope:

I look forward to what they come up with. Last time we had a somewhat gonzo assignment for a space set film, Hurwitz came up with this awesomeness:

I only like that cue from First Man. The rest of the score is not interesting at all to me.

And Britell can definitely go big orchestral. I think what was mentioned before about 12 different variations of the theme is only applied to the Main/End Titles. I think they meant that every episode this will have different music of a different variation of Andor's theme.

I'm confident Britell will write some sort of theme for Skarsgard's character, Mon Monthma and the villains. 

14 hours ago, Tallguy said:

First Man: Those horns at 3:50ish! Yowza! I've still never seen it.

It's quite a muted film, not really a Hollywood type of spectacle.

Karol

6 hours ago, publicist said:

Britell's talent is rather that he can write chamber-sized music well. Ask any pro about that: before you can run you need to walk. You don't need much musical talent to make music sound BIG the way RCP does it. To do it good, you better learn how to write effectively for 10 instruments, the rest will follow naturally (Goldsmith and Williams repeatedly mentioned how helpful their salad years were in developing their craft).

Apart from his affection for smaller ensembles he seems to be rather a minimalist in the tradition of Glass or Nyman unlike Goldsmith or Williams.

• 1 month later...

Ah, that explains it.

Oddly, iTunes NZ was the first place I went to look after seeing the post, and my search didn't bring that album up!  

I went to his artist page, and it wasn't there:

https://music.apple.com/nz/artist/nicholas-britell/405286240

But, now it is there.  So it got added to iTunes within the past 5 minutes!

Oh my god, it's about time someone came up with an idea to combine edgy modern sound with traditional "cinematic" orchestra. We've never heard that in a SW score. Brilliant!

Karol

Just now, enderdrag64 said:

what is that weird glitch at 0:18 of the episode 3 one? It's like everything just snaps from panned center to panned wide. Is that supposed to sound like that?

Thats just Twitter.

21 minutes ago, Drew said:

I'm trying to imagine a universe where Tony Gilroy got so excited hearing this title theme on piano that he called Kathleen Kennedy right away and said "We have a theme!".

Oh wait, that's our universe.

Couldn't agree more, hope there is better stuff to come but this is def not Britell's best, and hard to ignore JW's star wars for this. I was told Gilroy hates Star Wars music.

These newer directors Lucasfilm keeps hiring don't care at all for Williams and his music, they don't think it's "edgy" enough for their take on the Star Wars universe. They prefer something more modern, more sound design and less melodies and notes, more... Zimmer.

I don't even know how the hell Junkie XL or Balfe haven't been offered a Star Wars production yet, although this will happen eventually, just wait and see. 

47 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I’m of the opinion that if Williams isn’t scoring the thing, they shouldn’t try to sound like Williams.

Doesn’t mean that everything has to be synth. I love Britell and i’m really excited for the music but this is the closest i’ve heard him get to electronic minus some rap stuff from succession.

idk why every time they say they’re doing something new it has to sound like it’s from the Mandalorian  

14 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

The new Amazon Prime LOTR score is a better SW score than any of the recent D+ shows

I would at least confirm, it is a better LOTR score than the recent Star Wars scores are Star Wars scores.

From the sound perspective I think, I am basically ok with the Andor score at the first episode. Big weakness is in my eyes the thematic material. Typical modern film score. Sound, chords, percussion and no melody worth mentioning.