Nicholas Britell - ANDOR (2022)

Jay

God the music was so amazing. To be expected though, Britell is a G. 

For the first time ever I got a "wow this doesn't feel star wars" moment. When the heavy drums kicked in at the end of Episode 2. 

I then reminded myself that "doesn't feel/sound like star wars" is the most laughable take ever and quickly readjusted myself to the proper mindset of "anything can be Star Wars as long as its good" 😌

1 hour ago, Van_Etten said:

Can Rings of Power be Star Wars?

Kind of being a twerp, but kind of being serious: I think spaceships are more essential to Star Wars than the Force.

3 hours ago, DiamondFire said:

God the music was so amazing. To be expected though, Britell is a G. 

For the first time ever I got a "wow this doesn't feel star wars" moment. When the heavy drums kicked in at the end of Episode 2. 

I then reminded myself that "doesn't feel/sound like star wars" is the most laughable take ever and quickly readjusted myself to the proper mindset of "anything can be Star Wars as long as its good" 😌

This means you essentially have no standard or boundaries for what you’d consider Star Wars music, meaning you don’t have a definition for Star Wars music beyond ‘music that is in Star Wars and is nebulously good’

I’m on the fence with this kind of thing now but when one side is able to actually explain what Star Wars music is, and the other just has a vague almost anything goes approach, it’s kind of clear to me which side is way more informed and appreciative of Star Wars music

I didn't really notice the music in the show so far, it's a pretty standard TV score. Nothing memorable, but at the same time not distracting (well, aside from perhaps the random rock drumline at the end of episode 2 :lol:). I guess it serves its purpose well enough.

But I'm really enjoying the show a lot so far, so I don't really mind.

40 minutes ago, Gibster said:

Part of me has no idea why Lucasfilm asks for this king of music, then the other half is just so confused to check twitter and see all these people drool about the music.😡

The show was so expensive. In the end they didn't have money for bigger music.

But really, the music isn't great in any way, but it never feels out of place like particularly in Mando and BoBF.

2 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I feel like of this weren't SW, very few people would have anything to say about it, positive or negative 

Right. And if people didn't know, that Britell was the composer, probably even less.

12 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

This means you essentially have no standard or boundaries for what you’d consider Star Wars music, meaning you don’t have a definition for Star Wars music beyond ‘music that is in Star Wars and is nebulously good’

I’m on the fence with this kind of thing now but when one side is able to actually explain what Star Wars music is, and the other just has a vague almost anything goes approach, it’s kind of clear to me which side is way more informed and appreciative of Star Wars music

I am informed and appreciative of Star Wars music. I often have multiple hour long voice calls and discussions with people about multiple cue's but I don't have a standard because why would I.. just seems like thats setting yourself up for disappointment instead of enjoying something for what it is.

That being said I do think Andor's music so far is on the higher end of it.

5 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Yes, I think, we just have to realize, that there is no Standard anymore to Star Wars music. It is in the meantime just some random score by random composers. Nothing to stand on its own. 

For some it just takes longer time to sink in. ;) There is an almost religious hope put into weirdly phrased press releases and when you finally can look at the end product, you have to pinch yourself and ask 'Is this it?'

14 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

kind of a parasite score. When you detach it from its host, the film, it dies. It is appropriate for its purpose. No complain. It doesn't need to stand on its own.

I love the phrase "parasite score". Gotta start using that to enhance my opinions.

2 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

No, really. Today I watched the second episode and can say, the score is perfectly fine for the show, but still for my taste this music has no life on its own, kind of a parasite score. When you detach it from its host, the film, it dies. It is appropriate for its purpose. No complain. It doesn't need to stand on its own. Perfectly fine. I just say, that was different for Star Wars in the past, and these days are simply over. That's it. No problem. There is already enough good Star Wars music.

That's not what i am talking about, people get used to everything. I was more seeing the whole thing in perspective, all the pr claims about legacy etc., and it's bleeding obvious that they just feed modern habits and don't give a shit, really. 

It's not a big deal, things in popular culture just run their course, but when i watched the three episodes (which was a pure coincidence, i don't watch much tv these days) it was apparent that this doesn't share even the tiniest DNA strain with SW, and the music, if we call it that, felt like a total antithesis to it.

14 minutes ago, publicist said:

That's not what i am talking about, people get used to everything. I was more seeing the whole thing in perspective, all the pr claims about legacy etc., and it's bleeding obvious that they just feed modern habits and don't give a shit, really. 

It's not a big deal, things in popular culture just run their course, but when i watched the three episodes (which was a pure coincidence, i don't watch much tv these days) it was apparent that this doesn't share even the tiniest DNA strain with SW, and the music, if we call it that, felt like a total antithesis to it.

OK. I got it. Yeah, I read somewhere, the show had more in common with Bladerunner than with Star Wars, and that is not wrong in many ways.

8 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

I like the little jaunty jig that plays over Bee's introduction as he's trundling through the wasteland

It reminded me of Heartbeeps, both the film and 00:48 of “Projected Trip”

I just saw the 3 episodes. There were a couple cues here and there that I liked, although nothing was particularly memorable. I don't think it's a terrible score, it's not boring and it serves the show well enough, though I agree it sounds nothing like Star Wars and is not melodic in the slightest. While I agree it might have been nice to reference some of Rogue One's music, I don't think Cassian had a theme in that movie did he?

The music isn’t something I would listen to by itself. But it seems to fit the show well.

Im actually having a more difficult time imagining a Williams-esque approach to this particular vision of Star Wars. (I guess Gia did Rogue one. But that would REALLY stick out in this show I feel). It would probably skew closer to Minority Report or War of the Worlds I suppose?

Ok…I kinda want to hear that now.

31 minutes ago, enderdrag64 said:

I don't think Cassian had a theme in that movie did he?

He didn't had his own theme, no. If Britell wanted to reference something from that score, I think Gia's Hope theme is a decent choice, maybe for Cassian "becoming" a Rebel...

Yeah they seem to want to pave the road so when williams is no longer with us, the music of starwars will be at a point where they wont have to even think about paying homage for his music ever.

21 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

I just don't understand why they wouldn't want to musically tie it to Rogue One...

If the only reason this show exists is because people supposedly adored Rogue One, wouldn't they want to make it feel as much like that movie as possible?

Thats not why this show exists. This show exists because Lucasfilm & ILM wanted a flagship show to show off, once Tony came on this became that.

7 hours ago, DiamondFire said:

Thats not why this show exists. This show exists because Lucasfilm & ILM wanted a flagship show to show off, once Tony came on this became that.

...but he's on board literally because he's the Rogue One guy that saved the movie.

8 hours ago, DiamondFire said:

This show exists in the way it does because Tony was inspired by the ideas brought up in Rogue One and wanted to commit to a much deeper and more intricate exploration of them

The music is like the way it is probably because Tony is not a Star Wars fan

It’s been three years since TROS. Does anyone else miss the theatrical experience, the long time ago silence anticipating the blast of the Main Title?  I’m ready for big budget full bodied cinematic 95 piece orchestra Star Wars. 

2 hours ago, Andy said:

It’s been three years since TROS. Does anyone else miss the theatrical experience, the long time ago silence anticipating the blast of the Main Title?  I’m ready for big budget full bodied cinematic 95 piece orchestra Star Wars. 

By all means, but please not the SW main title again. 

4 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

The music is like the way it is probably because Tony is not a Star Wars fan

On a deeper level, the grungy thriller story presented to us in 'Andor' isn't SW, either. We tend to overestimate the importance of the musical element. I truly think it doesn't matter much nowadays with the huge sound mix, even if it would be less atmospheric, the operatic gestures would have never happened. 

And if they would happen like in Rogue One, dramatically amateurish and with zero regard for the musical ancestors guys like Korngold and Williams used as a role model, frankly, i prefer Britell's background atmo.

So far the music is rather Blade Runnery, which is not a bad thing given the setting (and has some precedent within Star Wars via the last season of Clone Wars). I’m hoping it expands as the show does, though.

I just finished episode 2.

The music does it's job. There was one moment where I thought I might want this outside of the show. But I can't remember it now.

And I'm OK with it.

Really I want something that I love as much as Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. I'd be thrilled with something as good as Rogue One or Solo or Return of the Jedi. But that's not in the cards. And wishing it doesn't make it so.

4 hours ago, Roll the Bones said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ce5316w634n01k6f2v

• 3 weeks later...

Do we know if Giacchino was ever in consideration for this? I know his schedule has been superhumanly busy lately, but this was planned about four years ago. I'd be surprised if the show runners didn't want musical continuity with RO.