Nicholas Britell - ANDOR (2022)

Jay

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I still cant remember a note from the 6 episodes….

I can't remember a note, but I rewatched episode 6 and the music when they are navigating the Eye is gangbusters. I'm looking forward to having it.

4 hours ago, mstrox said:

Also loving that they’re not aiming for the Star Wars sound, because what people really mean is the Williams sound - and that just leads to dreadful Haab-style stuff. 

Or McNeely, Griskey, Soule, Harlin, Powell- style stuff

Or Gia.

10 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I think, you underestimate classical Star Wars scores and what a John Williams could do to the show to make it feel like Star Wars. Someone mentioned Minority Report as a template, which is a good idea. 

I understand, what Britell is trying to do there. But it doesn't work for me.

I think, the situation here is far different from the movies. While Williams said for the movies, He tried to creative some familiarity for these other worldly images here the situation is the opposite. The images, the plot, the dialogues are so earthly that the music would have the job to create some out-of-this-world feeling like Goldsmith did in Planet of the Apes. But Britell's score does neither that nor does it spread the fairytale fairy dust on the images like Williams it. In oposite, I am afraid, it even empowers the feeling, that we are looking at a very earthly setting, which rather gives it a fan film touch. Luckily apart from the music the show is well produced, so it still works. But the music is just there to fulfill the minimum requirement of a dramtizing score. Quite unworthy for a Star Wars score in my view.

The best thing that can be said about this score is, that it is not disturbing the action on screen. 

It's not a matter of "over" or "under" estimating. A Williams type score would have created a completely different tone for the show, and not one the creators were going for. Interesting that you bring up Minority Report, since that's by far one of his least liked scores on this forum. I will agree that this show needs a much more memorable theme, and it's too bad JW couldn't contribute like he did to Obi-Wan (Especially considering how much better this show is in comparison.)

25 minutes ago, JohnTheBaptist said:

It's not a matter of "over" or "under" estimating. A Williams type score would have created a completely different tone for the show, and not one the creators were going for. Interesting that you bring up Minority Report, since that's by far one of his least liked scores on this forum. I will agree that this show needs a much more memorable theme, and it's too bad JW couldn't contribute like he did to Obi-Wan (Especially considering how much better this show is in comparison.)

It is not about themes. It is about originality and sophistication. This techno stuff is neither original nor sophisticated. Techno is for cheap gangster shows or whatever. But not for a story in a galaxy far far away. That's my view.

But it is interesting to know, that Minority is such lowly regarded around here. In my view it is a brillant score. Actually one of my favourite Williams score.

30 minutes ago, JohnTheBaptist said:

Interesting that you bring up Minority Report, since that's by far one of his least liked scores on this forum.

I'd concede that it doesn't get brought up a lot but come on, I don't really remember anyone disliking it.

Universally hated? Of course not!

But certainly a bunch of his 60s comedy scores are dismissed more quickly here than Minority Report!

15 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

What JW score would really be the least liked by JWFans? Because even scores like Indy 4, Nixon, Always, etc., have their defenders here. From what I can see, there isn't such thing as a universally hated JW score.

John Goldfarb

Thomas and the King

21 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

even scores like Indy 4, Nixon, Always, etc., have their defenders here

I wouldn't even place those in the bottom third, come on!

Looking through my list, of the scores of his I've heard in any form the only ones I put a "didn't like" label on are Bachelor Flat, Poseidon Adventure, Jaws 2 and Saving Private Ryan.

9 minutes ago, Holko said:

Looking through my list, of the scores of his I've heard in any form the only ones I put a "didn't like" label on are Bachelor Flat, Poseidon Adventure, Jaws 2 and Saving Private Ryan.

Not heard, fair, sad, s'alright

21 hours ago, mstrox said:

I liked the album well enough and think that Brittell’s score fits the series like a glove.  There are pieces I’m really looking forward to on the next volume, especially from episodes 6 and 7.

Also loving that they’re not aiming for the Star Wars sound, because what people really mean is the Williams sound - and that just leads to dreadful Haab-style stuff.  Not to mention, Williams significantly altered or expanded what “the Star Wars sound” meant eight times, with every subsequent score starting in 1980.  Asking a different composer to come in and ape Williams is a much different matter - significantly narrowing their toolkit when Williams (with his own toolkit) broadened and broadened.

They sound amazing! I'm looking forward to episode 7 as well.

5 hours ago, Miz said:

Any word on the release date for the next album?

On 21/10/2022 at 3:25 PM, JNHFan2000 said:

I'm surprised by how much of the score is just underscore given that it's a SW show. But I kind of like that because it feels different and refreshing. A score with a full, traditional orchestra with traditional themes definitely wouldn't fit and I'm kind of over traditional orchestra scores for now, anyway

Others may disagree, but this feels way more inspired than Kenobi's score—but I do understand why this isn't for everyone. The Past/Present Suite is my favorite so far

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

This is the one I'm excited about.

I watched episode 9 last night. The series has been getting much synthier and more explicitly dystopian. Then during the end credits it drops into this lovely piano music! I guess that will show up in volume 3.

So my head keeps flipping around "This is actually really good!" and "But it isn't Star Wars." and "But it's really good!" and "But it isn't Star Wars." (Which seems to be the same thing this board is doing.) There's also a little voice that asks "What if it IS Star Wars?"

Just now, Disco Stu said:

It's certainly not what I'm doing.  After a slow start, the show has blossomed into exactly what I was hoping for when they announced it.

Oh, I'm just talking the music. Otherwise I'm right on board with you. This is even more the show I wanted than I knew I wanted. I could do with a little more "adventure", but that's not what this show wants to do.

Part of my flip flop is "Could this show support a 'traditional' Star Wars score and still be this show?"  Is this exactly the score this show needs?

3 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Oh, I'm just talking the music. Otherwise I'm right on board with you. This is even more the show I wanted than I knew I wanted. I could do with a little more "adventure", but that's not what this show wants to do.

Part of my flip flop is "Could this show support a 'traditional' Star Wars score and still be this show?"  Is this exactly the score this show needs?

Oh the score is eminently ignorable and easily the most disappointing aspect of the show.  I can imagine a score even in the same style that is much better.

Yeah I agree I don't have a problem with the style of music they're going for, it's just the actual music that's been made has been very boring.

I don't hate the main theme (the one featured in the Past/Present Suite) but I never even noticed it until the OST, and nearly all of the other music in the show is completely bland and forgettable. Out of the entire volume 1 album there are maybe 6 tracks that I liked total. The action cues in particular are really bad I think, it's almost sound design more than music.

Here is my mash up of the main title theme from episodes 4-6... it doesn't work as smoothly as episodes 1-3, and I don't know what to do with episode 7, mashing it with 4-6 makes it all a little to cluttered...

Andor (Main Title Theme) - Episodes 4-6.flac

Andor (Main Title Theme) - Episodes 4-7.flac

Listened to volume two a few times and thought it was great.  I think in the long run, the appropriate “listening program” for this season will be one shorter volume of highlights only, but in general I like the vibe well enough.  Especially glad to have the heist episode music and the weird vacation-world techno stuff!

Yes, I think the second album might be a bit more entertaining (though darker)... but I look forward to cropping highlights from all 3 albums eventually.

Spoiler

Lost siblings finding each other across a galaxy and one is in a convenient and connected place of power? What is this.. Star Wars? (Or more specifically Return of the Jedi? Star Wars didn't do that nonsense.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/10/2022 at 1:08 PM, Gabriel Bezerra said:

It appears we have a new Imperial motif, the one that plays when the BSI headquarters first appeared is used again when the star destroyer flies above Cintha. It reminds me of Ross' new Vader motif

Finally... I'm not the only one who notice it.

What are the odds of that though... Wasn't Britell working on the score for "years"? Obi-Wan ended in June, and Ross' share of the score was way closer to release. So it might just be a crazy coincidence.

• 3 weeks later...