John Williams Returns to ‘Star Wars’ Universe with ‘Obi-Wan Kenobi’ Theme - Jon Burlingame Variety article

Jay

Williams already referred to it as “The Force theme” by the liners of *The Empire Strikes Back.* The theme was subtly redefined between the two entries.

By The Last Jedi it became a kind of calling-card: “ah, there’s a vaguely impactful moment in the film! I know what to do! Binary Sunset!”

3 hours ago, Yannick said:

If I'm not wrong, Williams refered to that theme as "Ben Kenobi's theme" for a long time even when it was known as the Force them, but that was a long time ago and now he also talk about it as the Force theme too.

I don't know if it's because director decisions in the sequel trilogy, but you can notice the Force theme is literally all over the place in the last three films. It's so prominent that it feels like the "new" Star Wars theme instead the known fanfarre. Music themes always changes it significance over time.

3 hours ago, Fabulin said:

The scene as originally scored is incredibly corny. I feel that the Binary Sunset as used in the film more or less saved it.

I don't know if corny is the right word, but certainly depressing. People seem to often point to that scene when talking about what had the most impact on them during their first viewing, and I definitely don't think the scene would have had that impact with the original cue present.

16 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I don't know if corny is the right word, but certainly depressing. People seem to often point to that scene when talking about what had the most impact on them during their first viewing, and I definitely don't think the scene would have had that impact with the original cue present.

I meant it in the sense that the original music didn't blend in with the imagery well enough to create an overwhelming emotional effect, and so instead it felt more like an attempt at an emotional scene, like a Steiner or Korngold score playing blatantly over a scene.

Now that I think of it, the key reason why Williams succeeded in bringing back the Golden Age Hollywood sound into a modernized setting was that his music, no matter how orchestrally prominent, fit the film like a glove. More loose scoring and it would have stuck out like a sore thumb.

14 hours ago, Yannick said:

"Ok, this sounds good. Let's put that music in this scene, instead of this dark and misterious theme Johnny composed"

Reminds me how they also used Princess Leias theme for the death star rope swing scene, even though she was unrelated to the scene, because it sounds cool

26 minutes ago, greenturnedblue said:

Reminds me how they also used Princess Leias theme for the death star rope swing scene, even though she was unrelated to the scene, because it sounds cool

You mean the scene where Luke swings Leia across, the theme statement that scores Leia kissing Luke "for luck"?

1 hour ago, greenturnedblue said:

I mean, why do we hear the theme of the magic helmet with Waltraute tells Brunhilde that “Jüngst kehrte er heim; in der Hand hielt er seines Speeres Splitter”? What does the magic helmet - which at that moment Siegfried wields - to do with Wotan’s spear being in splinters? It doesn’t even really make sense in the general “magic” sense. Like sure, the breaking of the spear is an act of magic, but it that were the case the Tarnhelm could be everywhere.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Jay said:

Is the music in this teaser what he recorded the other week?

Sounds like the same people who made the trailer music for the SW sequels.Not Williams for sure

Pretty fun hearing some obscure prequel musical references throughout the trailer!

Bit disappointed by how "clean" the series looks visually. Was hoping for something a bit grainier/grittier, closer to the original film.

Oh well, shouldn't be surprised. And overall looks great!

Decent trailer.  The series looks good, but certainly not great--hopefully, it will prove me wrong.  

If they do not handle this obi-wan/vader thing with any originality, the whole series is going to feel like a rehash of the second half of ROTS.

My prediction is that they will sneak Ian in for an emperor scene or two.  

Oh, yes, of course!  Brilliant!  @Tom, from your lips to Kathleen Kennedy's ears!  This might be the most promising setting, timewise, of any Disney Star Wars production.  I mean, almost anybody could show up!  That's why building up the Vader/Kenobi "rematch" is weak tea if you ask me.  There's so much more to play with here!  

It's true that the music ("Duel of the Fates" etc.) makes the images more epic and saturated than what they actually are, but I'll await judgement untill I've seen the show in proper.

58 minutes ago, Thor said:

It's true that the music ("Duel of the Fates" etc.) makes the images more epic and saturated than what they actually are...

This is what a Star Wars score is supposed to do, or not? And that is why I love these scores and the reason why I am so disappointed with Göransons efforts for the other live action TV shows.

8 hours ago, Thor said:

It's true that the music ("Duel of the Fates" etc.) makes the images more epic and saturated than what they actually are

I have said it forever Great Music = More production value

I rich score can make your film seem more expensive and lavish. Speilberg is a filmmaker who innately recognizes this. Williams knows this. Some people find his music thick and dense with orchestration - but it lends a sense of scale of scope to any movie he scores.

Modern composers who no idea about this. That is why most modern movies look cheap to me. 

On 10/03/2022 at 12:46 AM, crypto said:

Pretty fun hearing some obscure prequel musical references throughout the trailer!

Bit disappointed by how "clean" the series looks visually. Was hoping for something a bit grainier/grittier, closer to the original film.

Oh well, shouldn't be surprised. And overall looks great!

If you check out the pro-res version it has a LOT more grain/OT feeling to it. 

8 hours ago, DIamondFire said:

If you check out the pro-res version it has a LOT more grain/OT feeling to it. 

Interesting! Got a link to the Pro Res version by any chance?

Damn that lousy YouTube compression!

On 12/03/2022 at 2:31 AM, crypto said:

Can't actually find a streamable version, but here's some screens!

Maybe it's just placebo on my end but it feels very late 70's. 

1986162530_Screenshot2022-03-14161756.png

1989977601_Screenshot2022-03-14161822.png

157969739_Screenshot2022-03-14161928.png

I speculate that JW has written an adventure theme for this show that is more about a specific mission that Obi-Wan is on, or even just a generic adventure theme rather than a new character theme for Ben or a theme that has any clear relation to the Force theme. Something like the Luke in Exile theme from TLJ which doesn't really describe Luke as a character or replace his theme, but rather kind of describes rugged island life.

3 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

I speculate that JW has written an adventure theme for this show that is more about a specific mission that Obi-Wan is on, or even just a generic adventure theme rather than a new character theme for Ben or a theme that has any clear relation to the Force theme. Something like the Luke in Exile theme from TLJ which doesn't really describe Luke as a character or replace his theme, but rather kind of describes rugged island life.

I like to imagine it being something heavier and more emotional than Adventures of Han but it depends on what the show itself is like.

7 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Maybe Williams just wrote a short one and a half minute opening queue for the TV show opening titles. Something like "The Time Tunnel".

1 hour ago, Jay said:

That's exactly what he did.  Had you been thinking differently until now?

Yes, minimally he did this.  However, given his nature, he may have also wrote and recorded a 3-4 minute expanded piece, such as with the Masterpiece Theatre theme. 

Or if it was like Solo, some "demo" versions of a couple scene-specific cues

But I doubt it.  But we'll see!

@King Mark's theory is mine as well.  I don't think Williams is capable of restraining himself from writing a full concert piece.  If we're super-lucky, he might have done the multiple-cues route as with Solo, but then we're butting up against the limits of what he could reasonably have recorded in one session in February.

Knowing Williams, there must be enough time for a theme, a contrasting theme, and at least a single restatement of both. Before the restatement, there is likely to be a bridge of some kind. I doubt it is less that 2 minutes long, although the hell I know, I thought he wrote the Anthony Daniels march :P

On 12/03/2022 at 3:31 AM, crypto said:

For those interested, here the 4K Pro-res version.
http://downloads.ddigest-dl.com/movies/Obi-Wan_Kenobi_HEVC_MKV_4K_UHD_Trailer.html

On 21/03/2022 at 10:32 AM, Van_Etten said:

Just FYI this is not the actual Pro-res version, it's been AI upscaled and compressed. Doing some comparisons there is quite a bit of detail missing (especially the grain) and the colors are slightly compressed as well.

This is the original source of the Pro-res version: https://archive.org/download/obi-wan-kenobi-2022-teaser-trailer-prores/Obi-Wan_Kenobi___Teaser_Trailer___Disney%2B.mov

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/02/2022 at 5:43 PM, Jay said:

This article has been updated in two spots.

Before:

'Williams scored the original Obi-Wan Kenobi, as played by Alec Guinness, with a theme that became better known as that of the Force (“the spiritual-philosophical belief of the Jedi Knights and the Old Republic,” as the composer explained in 1977), used in the famous Throne Room scene that concluded the first “Star Wars” film.'

After:

'Williams scored the original Obi-Wan Kenobi, as played by Alec Guinness, with a theme that became better known as that of the Force (“the spiritual-philosophical belief of the Jedi Knights and the Old Republic,” as the composer explained in 1977), perhaps best remembered for its use in the Throne Room scene that concluded that first “Star Wars” film and which Williams has often performed in concert.'

Before:

"No word yet as to who will be scoring the six individual episodes, which are believed to be recording in London."

Now:

"No word yet as to who will be scoring the six individual episodes."