Who do you think will score the new Disney+ Obi-Wan Kenobi TV series, using Williams' theme?

Jay

Who do you think will score Obi-Wan Kenobi?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think WILL score Obi-Wan Kenobi?

• Ludwig Göransson
    • Joseph Shirley
    • Nicholas Britel
    • Kevin Kiner
    • William Ross
    • John Powell
    • Michael Giacchino
    • Thomas Newman
    • Bear McCreary
    • Someone not listed in the poll
    • Alan Silvestri
    • John Debney
    • Joel McNeely
    • Gordy Haab
    • Batu Sener
    • Natalie Holt
    • Laura Karpman
    • Pinar Toprak
    • Andrea Datzman
    • Hildur Guðnadóttir
  2. 2. Who do you think SHOULD score Obi-Wan Kenobi?

• Ludwig Göransson
    • Joseph Shirley
    • Nicholas Britel
    • Kevin Kiner
    • William Ross
    • John Powell
    • Michael Giacchino
    • Thomas Newman
    • Bear McCreary
    • Someone not listed in the poll
    • Alan Silvestri
    • John Debney
    • Joel McNeely
    • Gordy Haab
    • Batu Sener
    • Natalie Holt
    • Laura Karpman
    • Pinar Toprak
    • Andrea Datzman
    • Hildur Guðnadóttir

This poll is closed to new votes

11 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Discover and Picard giving the impression that Jeff Russo is the Star Trek go-to TV composer

To think that it could have been Wintory :( 

When they announced goransson they made a big announcement a year in advance.

https://www.starwars.com/news/ludwig-goransson-to-compose-score-for-the-mandalorian

Most of the musicians in the imdb credits are heavily linked to Alan Silvestri, Henry Jackman, and Lorne Balfe.

The assistant score mixer worked on the other shows.

43 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

To think that it could have been Wintory :( 

Yeah, he would have been great!

26 minutes ago, Gibster said:

When they announced goransson they made a big announcement a year in advance.

https://www.starwars.com/news/ludwig-goransson-to-compose-score-for-the-mandalorian

Most of the musicians in the imdb credits are heavily linked to Alan Silvestri, Henry Jackman, and Lorne Balfe.

The assistant score mixer worked on the other shows.

Would that have been off the back of his Oscar win though? If so, it may have been to cash in on that.

Crikey, you'd really think it would have leaked by now.

I had high hopes for a Powell/Sener or even just Sener score. Looking less likely as the days go by but I won't let go!

I'd suggest that the composer of the show is only going to be of interest to (relatively) very few people and LFL know that. Just like Shore's prospective involvement with the LotR show. We're hanging on every word but we're in the minority.

We're only as hyped as we are because JW has done the theme, and that hasn't exactly been shouted from the rooftops.

Powell would be the natural choice after Solo, and Sener would obviously help him in that case.

On 25/03/2022 at 8:03 AM, Richard Penna said:

Powell would be the natural choice after Solo, and Sener would obviously help him in that case.

Stoooop giving me hope!! :crymore:

On 24/03/2022 at 8:14 PM, Edmilson said:

Whoever gets the gig, we must keep in mind that it was someone who got Williams' trust. So even if it is an unknown composer, he or she will be working with a brand new John Williams Star Wars theme - something only Powell has achieved for now. That's a hell of an accomplishment, whether you're a novice or a veteran.

Michael J Lewis for Yes, Giorgio

Alexander courage for superman IV

William Ross for Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets.... 

Well, let's remember when Williams copied from HIM, in Star Wars TROS....

Personally, I think he could definitely "approve" Haab. Haab said several times in interviews that, like Williams, he prefers to compose with pencil, paper and piano. The question is rather whether the Williams style fits the series?

14 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm in the "almost anyone but Gordy please" camp

I have to admit that I haven’t enjoyed his video game scores as much as I hoped. It’s like it’s written by John Williams bot. However, as it’s for (I assume) long sections of game play where they want it to sound like the battle of hoth or whatever for a sustained period without quite resolving then it’s ideal. It has to sound just enough like Star Wars action music and it’s perfect for what it’s for. However if he can take the musical DNA of Star Wars and apply it to proper narrative drama I think he could probably do a decent job. 

24 minutes ago, igger6 said:

It could happen, but I haven't seen that kind of work from him anywhere yet.

His work on Jedi: Fallen Order with Stephen Barton had a lot of consistent melodies that develop through the story. They even referenced other Williams themes fairly cleverly. When Cal is training as a child just before Order 66, the theme that plays there has elements of "Anakin's Betrayal" and other dies irae variants from the prequels, and I remember hearing the theme from "Palpatine Instructs Anakin" in one of the conversations with Saw Gerrera on Kashyyyk. 

The article says that the director David Hunt is pictured. I am not quite sure who they are referring to. Is that just some random small-timey director I'm unaware of who happened to be there? If they're talking about the director for the project, if it's JFO 2 it should be Stig Asmussen, who has already been confirmed to be returning as director for the sequel.

Patricia Heaton?? Is she going to nag and yell at us throughout the game? :lol:

1 hour ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

The article says that the director David Hunt is pictured. I am not quite sure who they are referring to. Is that just some random small-timey director I'm unaware of who happened to be there? If they're talking about the director for the project, if it's JFO 2 it should be Stig Asmussen, who has already been confirmed to be returning as director for the sequel.

Could be the choir director? (Especially since conducter is listed next.)

40 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

If it's anyone other than Powell I'll be thoroughly disappointed. Unless If It is John Williams himself, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Same, but I also wouldn't bet on it being John Powell… It doesn't fit anywhere in what 5 Cat Studios announced for 2022 and Powell seems to take only 1 if not 0 project per year recently and he's already working on Don't Worry Darling. The only hope I have is for Batu Sener… Because he said he was going to do a TV project that is more exciting than Dragons: The Nine Realms. Unless he was only talking about the Scrat Tales… :eh:

EDIT:

There's no more hope folks...

IMG_8517.PNG

:crymore:

Unlikely. But from the musicians listed on IMDB two I've found on facebook and twitter, Laurence Ungless and Steve Mair respectively. Score mix assistant Colby Donaldson is on facebook as well.

Has Deborah Chow worked with anyone else?  She's directed on Walking Dead, Lost in Space, and Man in the High Castle, to name a few.  That throws McCreary, Jackman, and Dominic Lewis in as oblique possibiliities.  But you know what?  Christopher Lennertz has done great things with a Williams theme on Lost in Space.  Could it be?

There are many other less known composers who would do really nicely. Christopher Willis would be an interesting choice, for example. The two or three scores of his that I know show really strong orchestral writing.

Karol

17 minutes ago, crocodile said:

There are many other less known composers who would do really nicely. Christopher Willis would be an interesting choice, for example. The two or three scores of his that I know show really strong orchestral writing.

Karol

True though I don't know though I don't think he could keep up to Battle of the Heroes. To me the most likely is William Ross conducting existing thematic from John Williams with one new theme and perhaps some additional music

On IMDB it lists Colby Donaldson as the 'Score Mix Assistant'. They were also doing the same role for Tenet, Book of Boba Fett and The Mandalorian. 

Ludwig Göransson?

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I just cant see Williams giving the theme to him. His star wars music so far is not near the Williams sound at all.

I think he could find this new "electronic" film music by Göransson quite good. And he also knows that he won an Oscar, so that he is afraid of inexperience is also unlikely.

11 hours ago, aj_vader said:

On IMDB it lists Colby Donaldson as the 'Score Mix Assistant'. They were also doing the same role for Tenet, Book of Boba Fett and The Mandalorian. 

Ludwig Göransson?

He's She's worked on a bunch of the recent Disney+ shows... could be they're just using a lot of the same crew?