Who do you think will score the new Disney+ Obi-Wan Kenobi TV series, using Williams' theme?

Jay

Who do you think will score Obi-Wan Kenobi?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think WILL score Obi-Wan Kenobi?

• Ludwig Göransson
    • Joseph Shirley
    • Nicholas Britel
    • Kevin Kiner
    • William Ross
    • John Powell
    • Michael Giacchino
    • Thomas Newman
    • Bear McCreary
    • Someone not listed in the poll
    • Alan Silvestri
    • John Debney
    • Joel McNeely
    • Gordy Haab
    • Batu Sener
    • Natalie Holt
    • Laura Karpman
    • Pinar Toprak
    • Andrea Datzman
    • Hildur Guðnadóttir
  2. 2. Who do you think SHOULD score Obi-Wan Kenobi?

• Ludwig Göransson
    • Joseph Shirley
    • Nicholas Britel
    • Kevin Kiner
    • William Ross
    • John Powell
    • Michael Giacchino
    • Thomas Newman
    • Bear McCreary
    • Someone not listed in the poll
    • Alan Silvestri
    • John Debney
    • Joel McNeely
    • Gordy Haab
    • Batu Sener
    • Natalie Holt
    • Laura Karpman
    • Pinar Toprak
    • Andrea Datzman
    • Hildur Guðnadóttir

This poll is closed to new votes

7 hours ago, artguy360 said:

I'm surprised to read this opinion. To me the "friendship" theme is very weighty. It sounds to me like JW poured all his love and affection for Star Wars and the people he's worked with into that theme. It sounds far more emotional than the movie it was written for. The "victory" theme is less interesting but still appropriately celebratory.

It is a mature, reflective piece.  The "old" guy that I am finds it brilliant in structure, melodies, and execution--a fitting musical end to the story .  However, it is the "final" SW episode, I can understand the expectations for a big dramatic blowout piece--its Star Wars after all.  

While I totally agree that TLJ and TROS have have weak OST programs, guys, it’s SO easy to have an 100% improved listening experience by combining the OSTs with FYCs, please all do yourselves this favour, it’s not that difficult. Both movies’ climaxes are just great that way, and thinking of the music that is still missing I just can’t wait to hear what an expansion will give us eventually.

35 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

I wrote a whole love letter here awhile back about the friendship theme. It's one of the most uplifting, inspiring themes from Williams period. I freaking hate TROS as a movie (when I'm not internally denying it's existence) but the theme warms my heart completely every time.

The thing I like in The Rise of Skywalker is more the treatment of material from previous entries: although I hate it as a story development, the way Williams turns the theme associated with Kylo into a heroic theme is rathe extraordinary, and what happens to the theme associated with Rey in the final scene is astounding.

And what exactly are you judging the score based on?  I've listened to both the OST and FYC many times over the last couple years, it's not clear to me what else I should be using.  I'm certainly not going to watch the movie again.  And besides, I've fallen in love with plenty of Williams scores based initially on "notoriously unrepresentative" OSTs.

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Unfortunately, the test of the score is and must be the actual underscore in the film

Not true at all!  It's certainly test of the score.

Yeah idk, the movie's not that good and the score's not that effective in it. On that level I don't think anything else needs to be said for it. I'm obviously interested to hear a complete release. 

On the other hand I've also fallen in love with entire scores based on one track or one scene. In that sense Rise of Skywalker is kind of a winner to me anyway for the title track alone. In general I like a lot of its color and its energy, I think it's a more distinctive score than Last Jedi, even though the latter offered more memorable movie moments.

I agree that I don't really get anything out of Anthem of Evil and the "finale-ness" is lacking (when I made a big 3 hour saga playlist I moved Duel of the Fates to the end and used III's end credits to get the extra juice I wanted) but I do really like They Will Come, Approaching the Throne, Parents, and Farewell. And even though Reunion makes no sense lol I kinda love it. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

He didn't put any cues that contained this development on the OST album, nor the FYC album.

There is a "blink-and-you-miss-it" single statement of the redeemed Kylo motif in 'Farewell', just after the original version. The FYC has this version in 'Parents' and 'Coming Together', as well.  Even the FYC misses out on the terrific versions for Ben and Rey fighting the guards and Ben getting thrown into the abyss.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

He didn't put any cues that contained this development on the OST album, nor the FYC album.

Sounds like Williams following the same logic that led him to leave the Padme Funeral > Vader transformation section off the RotS album.

I want to see inside the mind of a composer who wants to tell a story with his album, and decides that isn't needed :blink:

12 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

Even the FYC misses out on the terrific versions for Ben and Rey fighting the guards and Ben getting thrown into the abyss.

Yea, those are the two I'm thinking of that really make what JW did to the theme clear.  The other ones you mention don't really get the point across

1 minute ago, Richard Penna said:

Sounds like Williams following the same logic that led him to leave the Padme Funeral > Vader transformation section off the RotS album.

He's a genius composer but not a great album producer

I'd suggest 'not a great album producer' is a bit charitable actually. He's got absolutely zero concept of which parts of his scores his fan most want, nor apparently that he breaks his own carefully constructed set pieces and thematic links by moving cues around for god only knows what reason.

I still get wound up when I look at the Spider sequence on the CoS album. On LLL's set, that set piece flows beautifully, like the film. I have no clue what Williams was thinking when he shifted those cues.

Yeah, you're all talking about the TLJ and TROS albums being awful...I think I've listened to TFA's OST MAYBE twice, and the rest of the time listening to a movie chronological edit of the OST and FYC. I hated how much the concert pieces broke up the album. The biggest offender for me was Rey's theme smack in the middle of Follow Me and The Falcon. In the film edit, those two pieces flow together REALLY well, so to break it up with something slow and leisurely like Rey's Theme is a musical gut punch.

13 minutes ago, Stu said:

I’ll admit maybe it was the afterglow of new JW Star Wars when I thought there would never be anymore, but I am 100% sure that I have never listened to an OST album in the months after a movie’s release more than I listened to the TFA OST in 2016.

I listened to it literally every day for like 4 months

3 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Yeah, you're all talking about the TLJ and TROS albums being awful...I think I've listened to TFA's OST MAYBE twice, and the rest of the time listening to a movie chronological edit of the OST and FYC. I hated how much the concert pieces broke up the album. The biggest offender for me was Rey's theme smack in the middle of Follow Me and The Falcon. In the film edit, those two pieces flow together REALLY well, so to break it up with something slow and leisurely like Rey's Theme is a musical gut punch.

I dunno, I didn't really mind it at the time.

The album of TFA is most certainly the album I've listenned to the most (closely followed by War Horse). I find it's the best album John Williams ever produced, it's a magical journey from beginning to the end and the only thing I would change to it would be to release all the fricking score :P

As for TLJ and TROS both are weaker album than TFA but still have a very strong presentation that flows really well. The main problem with TROS is that the movie was so butchered that Williams probably couldn't release all what he wants (like Rey and Ben duel the Emperor in a gorgeous lightsaber fight or Apparence of the Jedi Council :lol:).

I hope one day we'll get to listen to the full score as it was intended by the maestro and that all the wait will only be due to the great work of MM and to Disney to change the track title that fit the movies

I’ve only heard the OST as I don’t listen to promos, FYCs, or boots (and the score twice in context of the movie, which I didn’t like on first viewing but did improve somewhat on a second). Based on that, TROS is an excellent score!

5 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I’ve only heard the OST as I don’t listen to promos, FYCs, or boots (and the score twice in context of the movie, which I didn’t like on first viewing but did improve somewhat on a second). Based on that, TROS is an excellent score!

Blatant fishing for likes!

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

Dang at this rate maybe I can win the day!!!

FYI: You can only win the day by having the most Reputation, and only Like, Love, Thanks, and Haha increase Reputation - all the other Reactions do not.

To me that neutral face means “You are a freakazoid and I am attempting to have no visible reaction that would draw your attention as I back away slowly before running away from you”

I was initially thinking along the lines of I am disappointed in your statement*, but struggling to muster the necessary words to explain exactly why... but I like yours more.

* according to Very British Problems mentality, translates into what the fuck did you just say?

Music editor was recently added to IMDB. The Hollywood Reporter also confirmed conductor Anthony Parnther. He already conducted Ludwig's Tenet and Turning Red, lately doing the job on The Book of Boba Fett or The Ice Age Adventures of Buck Wild.