Who do you think will score the new Disney+ Obi-Wan Kenobi TV series, using Williams' theme?

Jay

Who do you think will score Obi-Wan Kenobi?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think WILL score Obi-Wan Kenobi?

• Ludwig Göransson
    • Joseph Shirley
    • Nicholas Britel
    • Kevin Kiner
    • William Ross
    • John Powell
    • Michael Giacchino
    • Thomas Newman
    • Bear McCreary
    • Someone not listed in the poll
    • Alan Silvestri
    • John Debney
    • Joel McNeely
    • Gordy Haab
    • Batu Sener
    • Natalie Holt
    • Laura Karpman
    • Pinar Toprak
    • Andrea Datzman
    • Hildur Guðnadóttir
  2. 2. Who do you think SHOULD score Obi-Wan Kenobi?

• Ludwig Göransson
    • Joseph Shirley
    • Nicholas Britel
    • Kevin Kiner
    • William Ross
    • John Powell
    • Michael Giacchino
    • Thomas Newman
    • Bear McCreary
    • Someone not listed in the poll
    • Alan Silvestri
    • John Debney
    • Joel McNeely
    • Gordy Haab
    • Batu Sener
    • Natalie Holt
    • Laura Karpman
    • Pinar Toprak
    • Andrea Datzman
    • Hildur Guðnadóttir

This poll is closed to new votes

Who do you think is mostly likely to end up with the gig to score the individual episodes of the new Disney+ Obi-Wan Kenobi TV series, using Williams' theme?

And, who would be your personal preference to do so?

I have no idea who will score this, it could be Howard Shore and I wouldn't be much more surprised. 

As for who would be my prefered choice... I'd be curious to hear Bear McCreary's take on JW's material. 

Just because JW worked with him on a SW project before I guess

There's no other reason to think it's him I don't think

Would Williams “approve” of a Gorasson/Shirley approach with his theme? Didn’t Gia get into some hot water for using the Williams material in Rogue One?And that was a MUCH more conservative take than what Goransson and Shirley have done in their Star Wars efforts. 

Powell on Instagram one hour ago. Perhaps the “one surprise track” could be JW’s Kenobi theme. I’m on my knees!

EDIT: Sorry, just saw Jerry already posted this in the other thread.

66CBA2DE-DFCA-4A2B-84DC-8560DE1E2BF7.png

That Powell post is actually just carefully worded enough to be Kenobi lol. 

Another Powell/Williams would be exciting. It's bound to have more attention on it and goodwill than Solo. And it'd say a lot about how much they enjoyed working together, whether it was pitched to them both, or Williams was offered the theme and requested Powell, or Powell was offered the score and requested Williams. 

But I have no idea. I voted that it will be somebody else but I really don't know. At this point I wouldn't be surprised anymore if it came out Williams just gave up and scored the whole thing.

4 hours ago, Alex said:

66CBA2DE-DFCA-4A2B-84DC-8560DE1E2BF7.png

It sounds like Powell is saying he (Powell) has three new CDs and 1 surprise track coming, all written by himself. Not that he has three new CDs coming, and John Williams has 1 surprise track on a Powell album. Sounds like Powell contributed a track to an album featuring other artists as well.

6 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

It sounds like Powell is saying he (Powell) has three new CDs and 1 surprise track coming, all written by himself. Not that he has three new CDs coming, and John Williams has 1 surprise track on a Powell album. Sounds like Powell contributed a track to an album featuring other artists as well.

The plot thickens? From Batu Sener's Instagram:

Screenshot_20220218-150145_Instagram.jpg

39 minutes ago, crypto said:

The plot thickens? From Batu Sener's Instagram:

Screenshot_20220218-150145_Instagram.jpg

After hearing Sener’s work on his most recent Ice Age and knowing he helped on the “Corellia Chase” cue on Solo, I would be 100% ok with him scoring this series☺️

Yes, please! I could easily imagine Williams approving Howard, who is one of the few left who can make an orchestra sing like the Maestro. He’s also gone down some kooky paths when directors have asked him to, but he absolutely has the goods. Staying in the Williams mold would bring out the best in him. 

I wouldn’t mind seeing Debney get a shot, either, or Don Davis, or David Arnold, or even Joseph Trapanese, who did some great work on the live-action Lady and the Tramp and showed some love in a podcast interview for the lavish, old-school arrangements he got to record on “Bella Notte.”

Remember, we don’t know how many other composers secretly have a Williams side they’re dying to indulge but haven’t yet for lack of an opportunity from blinkered directors and producers…

14 hours ago, Michael G. said:

Why exactly is Powell so favored? Has he ever scored a series at all? (I picked 1st Kevin K. and 2nd someone not listed above).

I was just about to ask the same question. Didn't he mess-up Solo with synth moods?

Giacchino came far closer to the idiom of Star Wars in Rogue One, including some own original themes.

think I'd prefer William Ross, but I actually don't particularly care who it is.

What I care about is whether Williams got an input in the choice of composer and wether they've collaborated in any way to protect the 'sound' of the series.

Powell/Sener makes perfect sense, honestly. It requires too much music for Powell alone.

I'm not sure William Ross could write that much music by himself, even adapting Williams' themes. Does he have a writing partner?

All things considered, I suspect the series will lean heavily on existing Williams material. We could have any combination of the Force Theme, Imperial March, Anakin's Theme, Emperor's Theme, Luke's Theme, Leia's Theme, Yoda's Theme, Qui-Gon's Theme, even Battle of the Heroes making appearances throughout. All rampant speculation, as I don't know a thing about this series except its place in the timeline.

If it climaxes with another Mustafar duel, they'll need a composer with serious musical prowess.

6 minutes ago, crypto said:

I'm not sure William Ross could write that much music by himself, even adapting Williams' themes. Does he have a writing partner?

He could always team up with Conrad Pope! :)

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

He could always team up with Conrad Pope! :)

I must confess, I know exactly one score of William Ross (Tin Cup) and one score of Conrad Pope (Pavillon of Women) and if you ask me, which score I prefer, I have to say, I definitely prefer the Pope one. So, I would probably prefer Pope writing the score.

9 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I must confess, I know exactly one score of William Ross (Tin Cup) and one score of Conrad Pope (Pavillon of Women) and if you ask me, which score I prefer, I have to say, I definitely prefer the Pope one. So, I would probably prefer Pope writing the score.

They're both good, but also very Williams in their sound. Favourite Ross scores include STEEL MAGNOLIAS and IN MY DREAMS (never really got into TIN CUP for some reason) and favourite Pope scores include MY WEEK WITH MARILYN and TIM'S VERMEER.

You're all entitled to your opinion and you don't have to like MG, but this claim is such nonsense. Regardless of the orchestrations he's using, he's written so much orchestral music of high quality for Rogue One and other movies.