Who do you think will score the new Disney+ Obi-Wan Kenobi TV series, using Williams' theme?

Jay

Who do you think will score Obi-Wan Kenobi?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think WILL score Obi-Wan Kenobi?

• Ludwig Göransson
    • Joseph Shirley
    • Nicholas Britel
    • Kevin Kiner
    • William Ross
    • John Powell
    • Michael Giacchino
    • Thomas Newman
    • Bear McCreary
    • Someone not listed in the poll
    • Alan Silvestri
    • John Debney
    • Joel McNeely
    • Gordy Haab
    • Batu Sener
    • Natalie Holt
    • Laura Karpman
    • Pinar Toprak
    • Andrea Datzman
    • Hildur Guðnadóttir
  2. 2. Who do you think SHOULD score Obi-Wan Kenobi?

• Ludwig Göransson
    • Joseph Shirley
    • Nicholas Britel
    • Kevin Kiner
    • William Ross
    • John Powell
    • Michael Giacchino
    • Thomas Newman
    • Bear McCreary
    • Someone not listed in the poll
    • Alan Silvestri
    • John Debney
    • Joel McNeely
    • Gordy Haab
    • Batu Sener
    • Natalie Holt
    • Laura Karpman
    • Pinar Toprak
    • Andrea Datzman
    • Hildur Guðnadóttir

This poll is closed to new votes

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

After seeing the trailer, does anyone have a different opinion on who they'd like to be scoring the show?

I’d still love it to be John Powell but I think it’s unlikely. Whoever I want to score it probably won’t be scoring it! 

32 minutes ago, Gibster said:

Joseph Shirley said in his interview with Score the podcast that he is working on a future star wars show, I hope it's the Mando s3 and not Obi Wan

I am guessing Ashoka will be like Boba - Theme suite by Gorannson, episode cue by Shirley using the themes from that and the existing themes from her scenes in Mando

I doubt Goransson/Shirley were considered for Obi-wan, they are in Filoni world.  I don't have a clue who will score this, though

It's definitely not anyone from 5Cat studios unfortunately, no clue who will be doing this though. I am thinking a likely scenario is Kevin Kiner, but who knows.

I maintain my guess (and sincere wish) that it’s Powell, based on the Williams connection, the London sessions players, and his relatively open schedule as of late. It’s the ideal scenario and seems most likely to me right now. 

Still prepared to be surprised though.

Technically this show has a link to Filoni world through Deborah Chow, but I agree it's probably safe from the Ludwig sound. 

That trailer is remarkably literate in its deployment of prequel-era themes, some of which sound newly recorded, right?  "Korah, ratama" is clearly old, but didn't some of the "Duel of the Fates" stuff and even some of the "Battle of the Heroes" renditions sound original?

Either way, the scorescape of this trailer gives me hope for the artful use of Williams' music.  This was better than the sequel trailers in that regard!

1 hour ago, igger6 said:

Either way, the scorescape of this trailer gives me hope for the artful use of Williams' music.  This was better than the sequel trailers in that regard!

I am hoping for a twisted version of Battle of the Heroes, like what we could have gotten in ROTS. I keep picturing that film with the theme playing in a mayor-key variation and slowly developing into the version we know. 

Don't think that was ever even in consideration, but it could have been sooooo good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2022 at 5:33 PM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I maintain my guess (and sincere wish) that it’s Powell, based on the Williams connection, the London sessions players, and his relatively open schedule as of late. It’s the ideal scenario and seems most likely to me right now. 

Still prepared to be surprised though.

omg. I don’t want to have too high hopes, but it reminded me of something Batu Sener replied to me in November:

BAF2A75E-0989-4CD9-B016-304D3CE031C8.jpeg

506DA1EB-9ADD-4250-851D-B4B1ED663286.jpeg

What could be better and more exciting than something related to HTTYD!?

12 minutes ago, Luka said:

omg. I don’t want to have too high hopes, but it reminded me of something Batu Sener replied to me in November:

What could be better and more exciting than something related to HTTYD!?

On 05/01/2022 at 12:31 AM, Fabulin said:

Batu Sener is the new John Williams

I told you so!

2 minutes ago, Gibster said:

Where did all this Batu Sener love come from?

For me, it's just the fact that he can do pretty much all John Powell does. He proved himself very well with The Ice Age Adventures of Buck Wild.

John Powell being my favourite composer, it's just so great that he can give me more Powell-style scores! :rock:

Is Disney waiting until May the 4th to announce who is composing this?

I wonder if a musician or something will leak it somehow before the official announcement like seems to be the new norm

I mean, why do they keep it a secret in the first place? Williams I understand, but they already told us he composed the main theme. So why keep the main composer under curtains?

I think the reason most movie/tv projects do not announce the composer as soon as they've signed on the dotted line, is because there is always the chance their work could be rejected and another composer could end up replacing them.

So instead of having to deal with that, they simply don't announce until very close to the show when things are set.  There's probably been rejected scores we've still never heard about because of this mentality.

12 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

It's Bat-too Sen-ner in my head :) 

I like that one. Sounds good to my ears. I vote for that one! :up:

Honestly can't see Lucasfilm hiring a newbie like Sener for such a big project when he just now barely started his own film work as the main composer for, well... anything. Another additional stuff with Powell, sure, alone - not really.

Not to mention Obi-wan is said to be a pretty dark & gritty story, but also more epic in scale. Traits JP doesn't have much interest in lately as well.

I would agree but then again I don't think anyone here had heard of Joseph Shirley until he scored TBBF. Batu has at least worked on a Star Wars film previously. Both have similar repertoires; mostly independent short films and working as additional composers/arrangers for another composer. I guess we'll find out soon enough...

13 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I would agree but then again I don't think anyone here had heard of Joseph Shirley until he scored TBBF. Batu has at least worked on a Star Wars film previously. Both have similar repertoires; mostly independent short films and working as additional composers/arrangers for another composer. I guess we'll find out soon enough...

I like that glint of hope! :blush2:

It really depends what the idea for the score is. Shirley inherited Boba, which in the end is basically Mando season 2.5 and he worked on previous 2 seasons so it makes sense, but either way LF still managed to get someone not established in the SW universe at all like Nicholas Britell for Andor.

For Obi-Wan I have a feeling this may be a similar case. Powell and Giacchino were newcomers when they signed on after all.

2 hours ago, Gibster said:

Is anyone else getting impatient with this waiting?

I am too. There's really no reason for Lucasfilm to continue keeping the name of the composer a secret. Unless they got John Williams doing all episodes, and even in this case I think they'd be better by just making the announcement already.

It's very strange they haven't even announced Williams' involvement. I can only assume they're planning a big announcement of JW and the composer proper, much closer to the launch date (which leads me to believe it's a big name, like Powell).

I guess they'll put out a full press release with the complete cast, crew and synopsis, closer to May.

Marketing centers around generating viewers who otherwise would not have tuned in.  I am not sure there is a non-marginal segment of people who would be moved in this way by the early mention of a composer.  

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I am too. There's really no reason for Lucasfilm to continue keeping the name of the composer a secret. Unless they got John Williams doing all episodes, and even in this case I think they'd be better by just making the announcement already.

It was reported the show's score was recorded in London so that definitely puts him out of the running.

Unless...

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Maybe they are not sure, If they really wanna use John Williams' score or replace him by another composer.

FYI: a score mix assistant was added to the IMDB "Music Department" page.  Their credits include a good amount of Ludwig scores/The Book of Boba Fett.  A couple of Djawadi/Henry Jackman scores too but predominantly Ludwig's camp

10 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

FYI: a score mix assistant was added to the IMDB "Music Department" page.  Their credits include a good amount of Ludwig scores/The Book of Boba Fett.  A couple of Djawadi/Henry Jackman scores too but predominantly Ludwig's camp

Ugh, if it's Görransson again, I'll be so disappointed! Unless he surprises me with a very different style than BoBB and Mando. :puh:

I think it's conceivable (if not likely) that Goransson writes the Obi-Wan score and Mando season 3 becomes a full co-credit with Shirley.  Obviously I would be happy with that as a big LG fan, but yeah I know it would be controversial to say the least.

15 hours ago, Edmilson said:

There is no realistic reason to think Williams would commit to nearly 6 hours of scoring duties.  Even scaled down for TV, that would be equivalent to more than one full movie.  I would not be shocked (though I would still be very surprised) if he scored the first episode or such, but I think title music and maybe an extended concert version of it are what we are getting.  

2 minutes ago, Van_Etten said:

Isn't Goransson's studio in Los Angeles?

I mean... so is basically every other Hollywood composer.  Just because Ludwig hasn't recorded in London before doesn't mean he wouldn't ever!  Again, not saying it's likely, just conceivable.

I can't help but thinking that Disney haven't announced because, aside from the prestige of having JW writing the theme and being one of a handful of composers who have any kind of public recognition, it's just not really on their radar and only we care enough to want to know! However, my anticipation is growing... I do hope it's someone else other than Ludwig Goransson. His music is nice enough but, a bit like with Discover and Picard giving the impression that Jeff Russo is the Star Trek go-to TV composer, I'd rather a bit more variety!