American Collection Theme

Tom

This is a major hidden gem.  Every few months I rediscover its existence and smile.

I love the little bass string thump at 2:17.  With Williams you get the excellent "big" picture stuff but also the little moments of gratuitous genius-ness.  

A gorgeous piece, - the melody on cello then the Williamesque strings, you just can't resist - one of my very favorites of his one-offs kind of pieces (along with the equally superb "Song for World Piece"

But I always wondered, what is it scoring and what is this "American Collection" ? What does this piece plays to? A main title of sort, is there any other version than this one (in terms of instrumentation or duration)?

22 minutes ago, Coco314 said:

A gorgeous piece, - the melody on cello then the Williamesque strings, you just can't resist - one of my very favorites of his one-offs kind of pieces (along with the equally superb "Song for World Piece"

But I always wondered, what is it scoring and what is this "American Collection" ? What does this piece plays to? A main title of sort, is there any other version than this one (in terms of instrumentation or duration)?

"American Collection" was a limited series spin-off of MASTERPIECE THEATRE, focussing on adaptations of US literature. It ran for a couple of years in the early 2000s, and the theme is only used for the credits sequences. The parent series has used a classical theme by Jean-Joseph Mouret throughout the years. It's a lovely theme right in the middle of Williams' Yo Yo/cello period, and great that it eventually got a recording.

19 hours ago, Tom said:

All this talk of Williams doing TV series themes, I felt we should showcase his best (in my opinion, and, well, in fact).  How a gorgeous little piece like this is a tiny footnote to Williams' career shows, yet again, his brilliance. 

Classic Yo-Yo is a great album, one of my favourite compilation albums.

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Classic Yo-Yo is a great album, one of my favourite compilation albums.

I don't have the whole album myself, only that theme.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

"American Collection" was a limited series spin-off of MASTERPIECE THEATRE, focussing on adaptations of US literature. It ran for a couple of years in the early 2000s, and the theme is only used for the credits sequences. The parent series has used a classical theme by Jean-Joseph Mouret throughout the years. It's a lovely theme right in the middle of Williams' Yo Yo/cello period, and great that it eventually got a recording.

Thanks a lot for the info, Thor. 

Actually just found the 30 seconds end title on youtube. I didn't know it had always been a cello piece.