"The Ugly Truth of How Movie Scores Are Made" - Vanity Fair article 2/21/22

Disco Stu

Okay, we don't know who write Giacchino's music, but are we certain these incredible track names comes really from him... at least???

For a forum that generally takes Joe Kraemer's words seriously, I'm surprised no bothered to mention the fact he did actually say in a recorded interview that Giacchino was one of the people he could say still wrote everything by themselves.

Which probably used to be true, since that was years ago, and this industry has presumably gotten so ruthless to where he has to be more reliant on additional composers to meet deadlines.

(And that's not even getting into the speculation regarding if someone like Tim Simonec was the one pulling all the strings in his earlier work).

If you've heard Giachino's Apes scores, you've heard Griffith's work; He composed "Ain't That A Stinger" for the first score and "Ape's Past Is Prologue" for the second

He also played Mark in Licorice Pizza

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Wait I only knew about Mick Giacchino.  There's a Griffy Giacchino too?!?!

Nepotism gone mad!

Mick? Griffy? Who's next, Groucho? Harpo?

All the discussion about JNH - this unreleased track from Vertical Limit would probably in the case of Horner or Kamen sound a lot like Don Davis, but if a ghost writer is doing this stuff, they know their JNH sweetspots very well (amazing music):

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

He composed "Ain't That A Stinger" for the first score and "Ape's Past Is Prologue" for the second

You mean Gia's son wrote the 10-minute long opening cue for the third Apes movie?

That's... quite a big and important cue for someone so young to handle, isn't it?

7 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

You mean Gia's son wrote the 10-minute long opening cue for the third Apes movie?

Yea

Michael Giacchino - War for the Planet of the Apes (Original Motion Picture  Soundtrack) - Amazon.com Music

He got equal back cover billing the previous time around too

Michael Giacchino - Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - Amazon.com Music

7 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

That's... quite a big and important cue for someone so young to handle, isn't it?

I always thought that track was largely uneventful

6 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

You're probably talking about Troy:

I

This is alluded to (vaguely obviously, but still backs Karam's points up well) here: 

http://jameshorner-filmmusic.com/interview-james-horner-troy/

"The structure of the themes was the work of Randy and his crew – Conrad Pope, Eddie Karam, John Kull – so that they provided the score with a backdrop. The filmmakers wanted themes for the characters and we supplied them. There’s obviously a lot of energy, but I did not have enough time to truly work out the narrative aspect of the piece in the time allotted to me, nor did I have the time to address all the different events down to the smallest details. So I decided to pit several orchestral masses against each other, whereas in your two examples, they were in perfect harmony. Once the textural work was done, I turned to a more motivating concept : the timbres, the Bulgarian Women’s Choir, Tanja Tsarovska’s voice and the dynamic of the piece, even though it was brushed with broader strokes."

On 22/02/2022 at 3:05 PM, Bespin said:

Okay, we don't know who write Giacchino's music, but are we certain these incredible track names comes really from him... at least???

No they do not come from just him. He's mentioned before that him and his team sometimes have competitions to come up with the punny titles. I know his music editor has come up with a few of them. I'll see if I can track down a source on that, because I can't remember where I got that from.

EDIT: @Luke Skywalker was the source for this. I knew I remembered reading that on here.

On 22/02/2022 at 4:09 PM, Disco Stu said:

Wait I only knew about Mick Giacchino.  There's a Griffy Giacchino too?!?!

Nepotism gone mad!

Also can't remember where I got this from either but the clicking sort of sound throughout "Enterprising Young Men" and other cues featuring Gia's Star Trek main theme have been referred to as "Griff Sticks" by Giacchino. I feel like I recall him saying it was an instrument that Griffy had made or something. 

Also trying to find a source on that. Lol.