John Powell and Batu Sener's ICE AGE: SCRAT TALES (2022)

Jay

Batu Sener Scoring Disney+’s ‘Ice Age: Scrat Tales’

Batu Sener has composed the original score for the upcoming Disney+ animated shorts series Ice Age: Scrat Tales. John Powell (How to Train Your Dragon, The Bourne Identity, Solo: A Star Wars Story, Happy Feet) has contributed the end titles track for the show starring Chris Wedges as the voice of Scrat and Karl Wahlgren as Baby Scrat. The six shorts revolve around the hapless saber-toothed squirrel of the Ice Age adventures who experiences the ups and downs of fatherhood, as he and the mischievous Baby Scrat, alternately bond with each other and battle for ownership of the highly treasured Acorn. Anthony Nisi is producing the project and Robert L. Baird & Andrew Millstein serve as executive producers. Sener has previously scored this year’s movie The Ice Age Adventures of Buck Wild, while Powell has scored three of the original theatrical Ice Age features. Ice Age: Scrat Tales will premiere on April 13 on Disney+.

Powell’s other upcoming projects also include Olivia Wilde’s Don’t Worry Darling, which is set to be released in theaters on September 23, 2022.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/02/22/batu-sener-scoring-disneys-ice-age-scrat-tales/

So this is the project Powell teased that he had one track on a digital-only album

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

So this is the project Powell teased that he had one track on a digital-only album

Just what I came here to say. I was hoping it was going to be a track from Locked Down stuck at the end of another release.

I wonder what the "at least 3 new CD releases" will be.

HTTYD2 Deluxe

The opera

Don't Worry Darling

...more? I sure hope The Bourne Supremacy and Mr. & Mrs. Smith get the next deluxe editions like Paycheck.

The three CD releases are probably the opera, HTTYD2 deluxe, and a Varese club title.  Don't Worry Darling will probably be a digital only album

Varese released a ton of Powell's OSTs and presumably has perpetuity rights to all of them

2001 - Evolution, I Am Sam, Just Visiting, Shrek

2002 - Bourne Identity, Two Weeks Notice

2003 - Gigli, The Italian Job, Paycheck

2004 - Bourne Supremacy

2005 - Robots

2006 - United 93, X-Men The Last Stand

2007 - PS I Love You

2008 - Hancock, Horton Hears a Who!, Stop-Loss

2009 - Ice Age 3

2010 - Green Zone, HTTYD, Knight and Day

2011 - Kung Fu Panda 2

2012 - The Lorax, Ice Age 4

That's 24 films, with only HTTYD1 and Paycheck Club-ized so far.

Evolution is one of my absolute favorite Powell scores, but there really isn't very much of consequence missing from the OST.  I would of course buy it in a second if a label put it out because (a) I love the score and (b) vowed to buy every Powell album a specialty label releases to show there's a market for him.

Out of this, the scores that deserve Deluxe editions are:

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Varese released a ton of Powell's OSTs and presumably has perpetuity rights to all of them

2002 - Bourne Identity

2004 - Bourne Supremacy

2006 - X-Men The Last Stand

2008 - Hancock

As well as from other labels (so I guess that makes it a LOT less likely):

The Adventures Of Pluto Nash

Mr. & Mrs. Smith

The Bourne Ultimatum

Bolt

4 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

Since we all thought the digital release with the “bonus track” was going to be that one…😔

Nobody who read his post carefully thought that.

43 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's 24 films, with only HTTYD1 and Paycheck Club-ized so far.

Hah, fair enough, that's a lot to forget!

I'd probably be drawn into buying Shrek and Hancock out of that lot. The OST is enough for me for most of Powell's non-HTTYD stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Listening to the samples now.  Sounds good!

Scrat's Quintet is especially nice

Could this DIsney Licensing site have been used to find Mando / Boba Fett albums early and we didn't know about it?

This actually looks pretty fun!

This is also Blue Sky's last project before being shut down. I'm glad to see that the animation is on the level of the films and not on the level of the Disney+ film earlier this year. I'll see this