James Mangold To Direct Buster Keaton Biopic For 20th Century

Once

EXCLUSIVE: With production on Indiana Jones 5 hitting the home stretch, James Mangold is getting his future dance card in order, with his attention now on a film centered around one of Hollywood’s most iconic talents. Sources tell Deadline that Mangold and 20th Century Studios are in development on a project about the life of filmmaker and comedian Buster Keaton, with Mangold set to direct and produce. The film is based on the book Buster Keaton: Cut to the Chase by Marion Meade, and execs have made this a top priority as they meet with writers to adapt the book.

Source: Deadline.

Ugh, now I can't stop thinking about what a great match for a Buster Keaton-biopic Williams would be!

40 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

As much as I'd like another Williams score for Mangold, he'll probably use Beltrami again.

Yes, probably. Although he's worked with Alan Silvestri, Howard Shore, Rolfe Kent, Mychael Danna and John Powell (and soon John Williams), Beltrami is the only one he's had multiple collaborations with.

7 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

No reason he wouldn't ask JW I suppose, but it may depend on whether he wants to work with Beltrami again strongly enough.

They'll certainly be working closely together over the next year... no reason to think the conversation won't come up between Mangold and Williams. :)

Stranger things have happened!

Not to be morbid, but I'd think he has to be thinking "What will be my last score?"

Or maybe he's over that now. "I thought Crystal Skull was my last score! Oh well, I'll do what's fun!"