Who would score YOUR film?

LSH

THIS IS JUST FOR FUN - NO ARGUMENTS

Let's say you're a director in Hollywood; who would you go for? From the current platter of talent. No dead people. Be realistic. Choose your [specific] genres too.

Mine would be:

Fantasy / Sci-Fi : James Newton Howard

Animation : Dario Marianelli / Thomas Newman

Action / Thriller : John Powell / Christopher Lennertz

Romance : James Newton Howard / Craig Armstrong

Western : Thomas Newman / Bear McCreary / David Arnold

Drama : Thomas Newman / Johan Söderqvist

I'll add more when I think.

well if you can afford the composers you listed off, I will just adjust the 'budget' of my film to allocate more money for the score.

then I will begin explaining to Mr. Williams that I've been a forum member for 10+ years and that I love everything of his.  I will beg him if I'm a couple million dollars short.

dude relax I'm kidding (but not really at the same time)

That is my honest choice. How could it not be?!?  I'm actually very serious even though my posts seem sarcastic.

If not Mr. Williams, Jonny Greenwood actually.

I'm glad that this entirely innocuous exploration of people's tastes is going well.

7 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I would ask Zimmer first...

Then I would reject his score and ask someone else!

This is actually way more on brand for JWfan Forum than mine was!

4 minutes ago, LSH said:

At least we got someone with a sense of humour.

Oh stop being so offended by me answering your silly hypothetical question with an actual serious answer.

This isn't FilmScoreForum it's JWfan forum.

My answer(s) are still 100% honest.  

I would guess Gordy Haab would be a good alternative to JW if you have low budget

22 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I would ask Zimmer first...

Then I would reject his score and ask someone else!

Oh yes! That's what we want to hear!

Michael Giacchino would be a good choice for Romance for me. He's no master at imitating JW's action style, but he's good at writing different, lighter stuff

For a cliché romance possibly with lower budget maybe Nicholas Hooper! I would like to hear more from him.

6 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Oh stop being so offended by me answering your silly hypothetical question with an actual serious answer.

I'm not offended, crikey. Yes it is a silly, hypothetical question. I was just seeking some interesting answers from the rich smorgasbord of music fans we have here.

I'm not offended by your response. Perhaps somewhat underwhelmed. /s

I would do what Bespin said but with, Giacchino.

Hopefully I would have the courage to say that his stuff is simply not interesting.  I'd probably fold though.

3 minutes ago, LSH said:

I'm not offended, crikey. Yes it is a silly, hypothetical question. I was just seeking some interesting answers from the rich smorgasbord of music fans we have here.

I'm not offended by your response. Perhaps somewhat underwhelmed. /s

my Greenwood answer is more based on the type of film I hypothetically would be making in this scenario. Probably a bit of unpopular pick here for sure, that's fine.  But if I couldn't get Williams, I'd want to go in a different direction.

Underwhelmed.  Fine, I won't argue taste.  But I do think he has very interesting scores and talents.

6 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

I would do what Bespin said but with, Giacchino.

Hopefully I would have the courage to say that his stuff is simply not interesting.  I'd probably fold though.

my Greenwood answer is more based on the type of film I hypothetically wish I would make in this scenario. Probably a bit of unpopular pick here for sure, that's fine.  But if I couldn't get Williams, I'd want to go in a different direction.

Underwhelmed.  Fine, I won't argue taste.  But I do think he has very interesting scores and talents.

I wasn't underwhelmed by your choice of composer (of whom I admire greatly). I was referring to your initial response to my thread.

This is getting too much.

Of course I would score my movie myself. Then the producers would reject it and ask Einstürzende Neubauten to score it.

But I would really like to see LSH's animated romantic fantasy-sci-fi-action thriller western drama.

I like this thread!!! Funnily thought about it last weekend.

Fantasy / Sci-Fi : James Newton Howard, Bear McCreary or Daniel Pemberton

Animation : John Powell, MIchael Giacchino or Henry Jackman

Action / Thriller : Atli Orvarsson, Christophe Beck or Hans Zimmer

Romance : Carlos Rafael Rivera, Daniel Pemberton or Abel Korzeniowski

Western : Natalie Holt, Bear McCreary or Harry Gregson-Williams

Drama : Thomas Newman, Alexandre Desplat or Patrick Doyle

Horror: Marco Beltrami, Howard Shore or Abel Korzeniowski

I would also like to have a film scored by the following, but not don't have a cetain genre choice. Joe Kraemer, Danny Elfman, Ludwig Goransson, John Williams, John Debney and Ramin Djawadi

6 hours ago, LSH said:

I wasn't underwhelmed by your choice of composer (of whom I admire greatly). I was referring to your initial response to my thread.

This is getting too much.

7 hours ago, LSH said:

THIS IS JUST FOR FUN - NO ARGUMENTS

6 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I'd pretty much go for John Powell and ensure he had whatever time and resources he needed to write something great. Failing that, I'd score my own film and use lots of uncredited assistants. ;-P

Powell could hire JW as a ghost writer.

37 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I'd pretty much go for John Powell and ensure he had whatever time and resources he needed to write something great. Failing that, I'd score my own film and use lots of uncredited assistants. ;-P

Don't forget to tell him to leave out his synthetic drums.

Gotta love LSH in drunk mode, LOL (I just wish he timed it with one of our Maintitles Zoom get-togethers, not wacky, friggin' Tuesdays)! :)

For me, it would depend entirely on the type of movie I was making -- not only in terms of genre, but style and approach. I would use a Norwegian composer that I felt was tailormade for the type of music I needed, just to support the Norwegian film composer industry. For example, I have this idea about a science fiction short that I've had for many years, and there's a sequence in it - a mysterious choral cue - that I think Henrik Skram would be perfect for.

Sorry, that's the boring, sober answer to the question.

Yes, apart from the composers the much more interesting question here is, what kind of movie the JWFan-ers would have in mind. This listing of genres with composers attached does not do much for me.

The choice of composer becomes interesting from the point where we understand what the actual movie is supposed to be like.

I've occasionally thought about this and it forces you to focus on what you like and don't like about your favourite composers.

In terms of A-list composers I'd probably choose Powell. He has just the right mix of orchestra and beautiful, memorable melodies, while sounding modern and vibrant.

Being more realistic there are a handful of composers who write for Audio Network, a British music library I use a lot, who write bright, melodic, often partially electronic music, which is just as detailed as what we hear in films.

I will compose the score for my film. I don't know anything about composing, but, then, I don't know anything about making films either, so I might as well go all in.

In the event that I am unavailable or unaffordable, my next choice would be Jonny Greenwood or Mica Levi.

16 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

the much more interesting question here is, what kind of movie the JWFan-ers would have in mind.l

Well, that's obvious!

Films based on video games

Or....

Films based on Marvel or DC superheroes.

😄