So Disney has ordered a direct-to-Hulu Alien movie - The Alien Romulus thread

Jay

Prometheus was a well made and sometimes breathtaking science fiction film that I wish had absolutely zero connection to the ALIEN franchise. 

Honestly, beyond the first two films, I’m not sure how much more you can do with “Jaws in Space”.  

Yup. I would really like Scott to complete his David trilogy, but at this point, I doubt it will ever happen.

Anyways, between this new project and the Hawley series, us ALIEN nutheads have plenty to look forward to.

Everybody loved that YouTube-video.

It’s fun in theory but maybe not so fun IRL. Kinda like the AvP franchise.

I’d love it if they made a sequel to Interstellar and then 2/3s in the movie it turns into an Alien horror installment.

Or, if we’d be allowed to change history, I’d make Prometheus a generic sci-fi movie, without any connections to the Alien universe. It might’ve even been judged kinder for it. And then - BAM - in the sequel, Ridley reveals his master plan all along…

Or… as it is now. Hard reboot, straight to streaming.

That works too if planning is too hard (I’m looking at you, Star Wars sequel trilogy).

36 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Everybody loved that YouTube-video.

It’s fun in theory but maybe not so fun IRL. Kinda like the AvP franchise.

Id love it if they made a sequel to Interstellar and then 2/3s in the movie it turns into an Alien horror installment.

Or, if we’d be allowed to change history, I’d make Prometheus a generic sci-fi movie, without any connections to the Alien universe. It might’ve even been judged kinder for it.

And then - BAM - in the sequel, Ridley reveals his master plan all along…

Or… as it is now. Hard reboot, straight to streaming.

That works too if planning is too hard (I’m looking at you, Star Wars sequel trilogy).

Or they manage to merge the Bladerunner 2049 sequel and the Alien Covenant sequel into one movie. Maybe this way two minuses become a plus.

I want a Ridley Scott cinematic universe, where Rick Deckard, Maximus the Gladiator and Orlando Bloom's character in Kingdom of Heaven join forces to battle the xenomorph controlled by the android David.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Cailee Spaeny to star, begins shooting next year

https://deadline.com/2022/11/cailee-spaeny-alien-movie-20th-century-scott-free-1235174184/

Funniest part of the article: "20th Century had no comment."

I've been aware of this for a while, actually, so it's not really news to me. Of course, I'm hoping for Scott to finish his David trilogy first, but when that now seems very unlikely (probably goes the same way as the canned Blomkamp project), I take whatever else I can get. Between this and the Noah Hawley series, I have something to look forward to in my favourite film universe.

There have been Scott-free (yes, I get the joke) ALIEN films in the past, several of which he has publically supported, so I doubt he has any issues. But I do wonder what thoughts he currently has on his own, third David film -- whether he's still interested in it, or feels up for it at all. He's 84 now. Then again, he's busy as ever. I have high expectations for NAPOLEON (next year?).

As with "Fantastic Beasts", a film (or films) to tie the prequels together with the originals, would, imo, be most welcome, if only to complete the story.

Where's the guts, in Hollywood, now?

Where's the courage to say: "Yeah, we know that last one was shite, and only made a profit of $1.50, that's why we are going all-out to make the next one, not only better, but the best".

It's worked for so many franchises, in the past. It can work, now.

At this point, I'm not sure if the American movie industry is making movies for anyone anymore but niche audiences and to celebrate themselves.

They produce whatever movie they want, buy influencers, buy press, buy reviews, if needed buy their own streaming service, then believe their own echo chamber and blame the actual audience if it doesn't succeed.

52 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Surprised about no comments/wishes/fantasies about the score yet, but both Prometheus and Covenant went way outside the comfort/enjoyment zone of almost the entire forum, so maybe expectations are low?

Glad you said 'almost', because I've been an avid defender of those two movies, and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future, against an army of naysayers. Although neither Streitenfeld nor Kurzel reached the heights of the preceding 4 scores (not even Frizzell's), they were good scores with lots of intricate detail and sophistication.

So I'm curious about whoever gets to score this, and how it turns out, but never been a fan of the speculation game, so I take it as it comes.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Glad you said 'almost', because I've been an avid defender of those two movies, and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future, against an army of naysayers. Although neither Streitenfeld nor Kurzel reached the heights of the preceding 4 scores (not even Frizzell's), they were good scores with lots of intricate detail and sophistication.

So I'm curious about whoever gets to score this, and how it turns out, but never been a fan of the speculation game, so I take it as it comes.

The best cues of Prometheus are the HGW cues IMO. It’s a real shame that he was replaced on Covenant. I still don’t know what happened there as he scores most of Ridley’s movies these days. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Who said:

The best cues of Prometheus are the HGW cues IMO. 

Oh, I agree. HGW's "Life" theme is excellent, and definitely the centerpiece of the score, but I also think Streitenfeld manages to capture some of that icy eeriness in his score otherwise.

4 hours ago, TolkienSS said:

It's not so much "the Public wants what the public gets", but rather The Emperor's new clothes.

I've been saying that for fucking years.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Glad you said 'almost', because I've been an avid defender of those two movies, and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future, against an army of naysayers.

I'll happily go on record saying that I really like PROMETHEUS.

My personal jury is still out, on COVENANT.

I also liked Prometheus. (I also don’t really see anything in this franchise as anything particularly special, but of course I haven’t seen Alien3 or Resurrection, so maybe that’s where the real good stuff is).

9 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I also liked Prometheus. (I also don’t really see anything in this franchise as anything particularly special, but of course I haven’t seen Alien3 or Resurrection, so maybe that’s where the real good stuff is).

It takes someone who doesn't see anything special in Alien to like Prometheus. It makes perfectly sense. 

I actually pretty much ignored Kurzel's score until I saw the film, and resultantly wanted to hear the entire thing, and pretty much the same applies to Streitenfeld's score.

Obvious stylistic preferences aside, I'd make the case that in terms of creating an original, distinct soundscape for the films, both composers achieved far more uniquenes than Williams manages on the average project. For those about to flip their nut over that comment, I'm not talking about compositional quality or general craftsmanship, but the effect it has on the musically illiterate listener like me.

While we are on the subject of all things Alien, I have a couple of QQs.

1/ What does LV (as in LV426) mean?

2/ In ALIEN³, Ripley crash-lands on Fiorina 161. Why, then, in ALIEN RESURRECTION, does Gediman refer to it as Fiori 16?

Anyone?...Anyone?...Thor?...Thor?

22 hours ago, Mr. Who said:

The best cues of Prometheus are the HGW cues IMO. It’s a real shame that he was replaced on Covenant. I still don’t know what happened there as he scores most of Ridley’s movies these days. 

Especially because HGW's score for Covenant was at least partially recorded! He posted videos of the sessions on his socials years ago. Hopefully his rejected score leaks one day.

There were also all those weird rumours about HGW's son posting Covenant set photos on the internet, leading to 20CF executives kicking HGW off the project, but that all sounds too fanciful to be true. Guess we know it was a reasonably amicable breakup, considering they've reunited for two of Ridley's subsequent films.

22 hours ago, Thor said:

Oh, I agree. HGW's "Life" theme is excellent, and definitely the centerpiece of the score, but I also think Streitenfeld manages to capture some of that icy eeriness in his score otherwise.

Absolutely, it's a magnificent opening cue. Feels right at home with the opening cue Jerry originally wrote for Alien.

17 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I actually pretty much ignored Kurzel's score until I saw the film, and resultantly wanted to hear the entire thing, and pretty much the same applies to Streitenfeld's score.

Obvious stylistic preferences aside, I'd make the case that in terms of creating an original, distinct soundscape for the films, both composers achieved far more uniquenes than Williams manages on the average project. For those about to flip their nut over that comment, I'm not talking about compositional quality or general craftsmanship, but the effect it has on the musically illiterate listener like me.

I understand exactly what you're saying and generally agree. All 3 composers made very solid and unique contributions across Prometheus and Covenant.

HGW's Life theme has already been discussed and is fantastic. Kurzel's score definitely under your skin with its uniqueness (I could've done without the Goldsmith quotes though, but I'm sure that was a studio directive). Streitenfeld's work is unique too, I can't think of many other modern scores that sound like Prometheus. But it lacked the romantic lyricism of HGW's theme (wisely added at the last minute) so kudos to whoever in production made that decision.

58 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

While we are on the subject of all things Alien, I have a couple of QQs.

1/ What does LV (as in LV426) mean?

2/ In ALIEN³, Ripley crash-lands on Fiorina 161. Why, then, in ALIEN RESURRECTION, does Gediman refer to it as Fiori 16?

Anyone?...Anyone?...Thor?...Thor?

Apparently "Life Viable", as stated above. I haven't even noticed that Gediman says Fiori 16 in RESSURECTION. Good catch! The planet is nicknamed "Fury", which kinda sounds like Fiori, but otherwise, I don't know.