Where is the thematic identity in recent film scores?

filmmusic

I had only marginal interest in John Barry until recently.  His long lined melodies are the exact opposite of what you're describing, and I'm enjoying his methods of doing his own thing rather than synch points in the action.  I think the modern vacuum you're commenting on has made this type of melody even more appealing to me such that I am craving it and searching out past works I might have ignored.

I think it's not fair to say that score with thematic identities don't excist anymore.

Just a few examples from the last 4 years:

Masters Of The Universe: Revelation - Bear McCreary

Jungle Cruise - James Newton Howard

Venom: Let There Be Carnage - Marco Beltrami

The Last Duel - Harry Gregson-Williams

The King's Man - Matthew Margeson & Dominic Lewis

Animal Crackers - Bear McCreary

Enola Holmes - Daniel Pemberton

Wonder Woman 1984 - Hans Zimmer

How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World - John Powell

Godzilla: King Of The Monsters - Bear McCreary

Marriage Story - Randy Newman

Black Panther - Ludwig Göransson

The Mummy - Brian Tyler

Outlander series - Bear McCreary

I might have a different idea of scores with a thematic identity, but it is not gone in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Not every movie needs 6 different themes.

No, but just one theme that goes somewhere and resolves in a satisfying way can work wonderfully,  like the versatile Last Starfighter theme by Craig Safan.  (Although there are a few other minor themes in that film)

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Some directors pay to have a "non-John Williams-like score".

Nolan, Villeneuve, Snyder, Greengrass and a lot of indie directors prefer their scores as far from Williams as possible.

2 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

" Where is the melody"

- Richard Strauss upon hearing Claude Debussy's music

You're going to find a way to sneak in a Debussy reference on every discussion about melody aren't you? ;)

1 hour ago, superultramegaa said:

You're going to find a way to sneak in a Debussy reference on every discussion about melody aren't you? ;)

If i can.

😎

I.miss James Horner. Even if ' his' themes weren't always HIS😣

they were memorable.

For Superultra:

Bernard Herrmann was criticized for not writing themes or melodies.

Was thinking about this the other day, outside of Marvel and Star Wars stuff Disney has been pumping out, there doesn't seem to be a lot of movies from the last few years with a stand out theme. Not every film needs multiple themes but the majority of non franchise film's really seem to be lacking any thematic music, or at least anything that really gets discussed. But then again I haven't seen many non franchise film's from the last few years so could just be projecting!

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

For Superultra:

Bernard Herrmann was criticized for not writing themes or melodies.

Those critics must have had lunch with the same people who nominated The Shining (1980) for razzies. 

2 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I.miss James Horner. Even if ' his' themes weren't always HIS 😣 

they were memorable.

gorgyHx.jpg

10 hours ago, Hedji said:

I had only marginal interest in John Barry until recently.  His long lined melodies are the exact opposite of what you're describing, and I'm enjoying his methods of doing his own thing rather than synch points in the action.  I think the modern vacuum you're commenting on has made this type of melody even more appealing to me such that I am craving it and searching out past works I might have ignored.

I'm a member a little more extreme into melody than most. Got to love Uematsu, Kondo, narrative settings that are just begging for long characteristic melodies. It's harder to find this in movies. Not much of a gamer either, just always listen to game music.

A ton of reasons:

• More directors like when the music is barely there. Their movie should work without it.

• Sound design-y scores are way easier to cut, past (and butcher) as the movie is getting re cut infinitely.

• There is a trend of such scores.

• It sometimes requires less musicians in an orchestra.

•etc

I heard this multiple times before. Modern composers would be able to write brillant remarkable themes instantly, but they are asked by directors and producers not to do so. That is why they don't. 

Something in me resists to believe that.

I would rather believe a statement like "Under these lousy working conditions with that little payment I am not willing to waste my best musical ideas."

14 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I heard this multiple times before. Modern composers would be able to write brillant remarkable themes instantly, but they are asked by directors and producers not to do so. That is why they don't. 

Something in me resists to believe that.

I would rather believe a statement like "Under these lousy working conditions with that little payment I am not willing to waste my best musical ideas."

Neither one is true. I don't think there are that many composers who can write brilliant themes and I don't think conditions has anything to do with it. I think:

1. Art directors prefer their movies to ooze intellectualism and that means unconventional music. 

2. Action movies are now dominated by CGI and superhuman feats and having music in action scenes are becoming less and less important to reel in the audience. I can't count how many of these superhero films and sci-fi epics where the music is buried in the mix.

3. Composers just want to do something different to create their own voice. 

With that said, there are still plenty of themes left in Hollywood and outside of it.

43 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Yes. There are so many composers writing and having written good music. I do something different than that.

Yeah, that is how you break into the industry because "good" music is dictated by the market. You carve your own lane. Daniel Pemberton is a good example. I never understand his music and frankly, I rarely have any of his scores in the top 10 of my list each year. His music is so far from the 90s titans like Williams and Horner. But I understand why he has appeal. His music is very unique to him, but also doesn't have that conventional structure. He clearly has good musical foundation, so a prospect director wouldn't be stuck with a Mica Levi type score. Pemberton has the right combination of being eccentric, but accessible. That puts him in a great position to score all types of films. In the past five years, he worked with Ridley Scott, Aaron Sorkin, and done art films like Steve Jobs. But his also doing animated films like Spider-Man. Meanwhile, you have an artist like George Kallis, who can write a sweeping orchestral piece as good as anyone and yet, he is still waiting for his breakout moment. 

Film music no different than any other product. After decades and decades, everything is saturated. Everyone loves ramen, but what if your one is organic? Or Mexican inspired? There are a lot of traditionally "good" composers and "good" sound designers these days. Somewhere between those two pillars is probably where a new composer's lane resides.  

5 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I predict a resurgence in interest of John Barry!

20 hours ago, Hedji said:

6 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I tend to believe this a bit more as well. You can kind of hear when a composer doesn't really give a shit about the project they're writing for at times. Examples that sound this way to me are Steve Jablonsky's score for Battleship, or Zimmer in Pirates 4, where his new material felt uninspired, and most of the score was a repeat of other tracks from the series. 

Though sometimes they do try hard despite their disinterest in the film. To go back to the previous two examples, Jablonsky turned in a fairly decent monster movie score for D-War / Dragon Wars, despite his hinting in interviews that he thought it was a bad movie, and I recall Zimmer encouraging his crew to have some fun with a score to a film none of them really believed in. It might have been King Arthur, but I don't know for sure. 

• 10 months later...
On 05/03/2022 at 11:17 PM, JNHFan2000 said:

I think it's not fair to say that score with thematic identities don't excist anymore.

Just a few examples from the last 4 years:

Masters Of The Universe: Revelation - Bear McCreary

Jungle Cruise - James Newton Howard

Venom: Let There Be Carnage - Marco Beltrami

The Last Duel - Harry Gregson-Williams

The King's Man - Matthew Margeson & Dominic Lewis

Animal Crackers - Bear McCreary

Enola Holmes - Daniel Pemberton

Wonder Woman 1984 - Hans Zimmer

How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World - John Powell

Godzilla: King Of The Monsters - Bear McCreary

Marriage Story - Randy Newman

Black Panther - Ludwig Göransson

The Mummy - Brian Tyler

Outlander series - Bear McCreary

I might have a different idea of scores with a thematic identity, but it is not gone in my opinion.

So, continuing to listening to recent scores, even scores that are considered good, I still can't find any "strong" themes.

I have not listened to ANY of the scores of the above list though.

Could you possibly post a couple of youtube videos with timestamps, on where the themes are?

I'm curious to see, if I can find that which I seek. Themes that can stand next to themes of Williams, Goldsmith, Barry etc.

It depends on how extensive you search. Every year, I  sample/listen to between 1500-2000 new scores, and find plenty of scores that would fit your bill, Konstantinos. But oftentimes, you have to look beyond the true and tired, i.e. the big blockbusters or the big "talking point" scores. I know, it's a lot of work, but it can ultimately be quite rewarding. Right now, for example, I'm listening to one of my runner-ups for the 2022 'best of' list, Manuel Riveiro's LIVE IS LIFE, which sounds like a blast from the melodic 90s.

This is a playlist with suites of dkfferent themes from Masters Of The Universe.

Just one example. I don't really have the time right now to do a more exstensive search.

But How To Train Your Dragon 3 has a suite called "The Hidden World Suite" with the 3 new primary themes for the film.

Or go listen to the theme suites from The Rings Of Power.

Just a few options. And if you can't find any memorable or strong themes in there, I guess that is kinda on you and you should stick with score from the 20th century.

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

You don't heard big strong themes in the How To Train Your Dragon scores?

I have seen only the first movie, and I haven't heard the score (or the sequels scores) outside of that.

I don't remember anything though...

25 minutes ago, Thor said:

and find plenty of scores that would fit your bill, Konstantinos

Really? I'm listening to scores too outside of the Hollywood blockbusters (after all, I'm mostly interested in dramas), but I hear more minimalistic thematic ideas, not themes based on the classical form.

Anyway, the last strong theme I can remember is the Korzeniowski theme for A Single Man (2009).

8 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Really? I'm listening to scores too outside of the Hollywood blockbusters (after all, I'm mostly interested in dramas), but I hear more minimalistic thematic ideas, not themes based on the classical form.

Anyway, the last strong theme I can remember is the Korzeniowski theme for A Single Man (2009).

I can give you many examples. Take a listen to the score I mentioned in my last post, for example. But first, I need to chart exactly what your preferences are; I've been wanting to do that for a while. And then I can recommend from there.

A just quick very basic list of 80s-90s themes that I consider great:

John Williams:

90% of his themes (and I don't mean only main themes) :D

Jerry Goldsmith:

main themes from

Supergirl, Star Trek, Russia House, First Blood, Poltergeist, Omen (Ave Satani)(Oops, this is a 70s film), King Solomon's Mines, Basic instinct, Chinatown (same here, 70s film), Total Recall

James Horner:

Love theme from Braveheart, American Tail theme, Willow theme,  Krull

I'm sure there are others, can't pinpoint them right now

John Barry:

John Dunbar theme, Out of Africa

Elmer Bernstein:

Age of Innocence

Alan Silvestri:

Who framed Roger Rabbit (Valiant & Valiant), Back to the future, The Bodyguard theme

Patrick Doyle:

Love theme from Frankenstein, Estella's theme from Great Expectations

George Fenton:

Shadowlands theme

Randy Newman:

Avalon theme

Danny Elfman:

Batman theme, Catwoman theme, Penguin's theme, Sommersby, Edward Scissorshands

Basil Poledouris:

Conan the barbarian love theme, Riders of Doom

Andrea Morricone:

Love theme from Cinema Paradiso

Ennio Morricone:

Cinema Paradiso theme, Sicilian Clan theme, Metello, Gabriel's oboe from The Mission

Vangelis:

1492 theme

Gabriel Yared:

English Patient theme, Camile Claudel love theme

Jean Claude Petit:

Cyrano theme

Ryuichi Sakamoto:

Sheltering Sky theme, Wuthering Heights theme, Last Emperor theme, Little Buddha main theme

Christopher Young:

Murder in the First theme

Joe Hisaishi:

Princess Mononoke theme

I hope you can get an idea what I'm looking for in recent film scores.