What is this instrument playing in The Lost World?

Josh500

If it's an instrument at all. Maybe a synthesiser? 

Anyway, I'm talking about the track "Spilling Petrol and Horning In" at 0:04. The sound that's like the low moaning of an ailing Triceratops, almost... 

What is this? Anybody know? It is heard more than once throughout this piece. 

Hard to say. I remember a similar sound being used as a "theme" in the last Michael Bay Transformers film.

I've seen different sites have different takes on whether this instrument is a French Horn, or some sort of strained woodwind. My guess is it's an ethnic woodwind like a Duduk, or an ethnic horn that most western audiences aren't particularly familiar with that uses different microtones. 

Interesting.... It's likely some kind of percussion, not an instrument that can play notes. 

But its sound is so perfectly fitting! 

Several cues in the score feature the synths marked simply "animal sound" or "groan" which I believe is what you are hearing in this cue.

Because it was the first time I remember encountering the instrument I always think of the Beck song "Tropicalia" (which is itself a tribute to the Brazilian music style of the same name)

On 06/03/2022 at 11:20 AM, Henry Sítrónu said:

It reads QUICHA in the score. doubled by a synthesizer. Not sure if that's it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuíca

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-06 um 17.19.25.png

EDIT: oh yeah, could be.
https://youtu.be/7J2WZGCCpEk

So did he misspell it in the score? Or is it possibly a different drum?

Just a comment, percussionist Emil Richards played on 1968's Planet of the Apes and Jurassic Park and Jurassic World where he provided his ethno-musical percussion instruments.  EG: the primitive percussion.  He also performed the percussion on the TV show, LOST, where he provided handmade airplane percussion (tuned instrument made out of broken airplane parts).  He played percussion on every Planet of the Apes film from 1968 through 2019 (his death).