John Williams in the news

Jay

Bravo to all. That was a who’s who of nearly the entire top tier of composers.

And Zimmer and Giacchino, you cowards. What could you possibly have to lose at this point?

12 hours ago, igger6 said:

Bravo to all. That was a who’s who of nearly the entire top tier of composers.

And Zimmer and Giacchino, you cowards. What could you possibly have to lose at this point?

Zimmer is still in the campaign. So maybe he didn't want to tip his hand.

22 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Zimmer is still in the campaign. So maybe he didn't want to tip his hand.

Nicholas Britell was the only composer from this year's nominees to put their name against the letter. Absolutely pathetic from the other 4 (especially considering voting closed weeks ago). Obviously didn't occur to them that there can be no bias if all 5 put their name down, unless they fear ramifications in years to come.

Not like Williams had anything to lose, considering the Academy have snubbed him for nearly 3 decades now. I doubt he's expecting wins for Fabelmans or Indy 5.

Side note: my opinion of Britell continues to improve.

9 minutes ago, crypto said:

Nicholas Britell was the only composer from this year's nominees to put their name against the letter. Absolutely pathetic from the other 4 (especially considering voting closed weeks ago). Obviously didn't occur to them that there can be no bias if all 5 put their name down, unless they fear ramifications in years to come.

Not like Williams had anything to lose, considering the Academy have snubbed him for nearly 3 decades now. I doubt he's expecting wins for Fabelmans or Indy 5.

Side note: my opinion of Britell continues to improve.

Voting hasn't started. Voting starts March 17.

Zimmer has been very vocal about this his social media feeds, so he's gotten plenty of exposure out there without the letter.

58 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Voting hasn't started. Voting starts March 17.

Ahh, good catch. I was looking at the nomination voting dates.

Yeah you have no idea if the other noms "refused" to sign the letter.  They might not have even seen it, you just don't know what channels it might have gone through.

34 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah you have no idea if the other noms "refused" to sign the letter.  They might not have even seen it, you just don't know what channels it might have gone through.

You seriously believe 4 of the 5 nominees from this year's category "might not have even seen it," or weren't contacted or aware of the letter? Despite this controversy bubbling along for weeks, directly affecting the category they're nominated in, not to mention the eclectic mix of other nominees and composers who did put their name to it? Not impossible, but seems extremely unlikely to me.

I'd have an easier time believing that theory if Britell's name wasn't attached to the letter, on the assumption there was a conscious decision not to involve this year's nominees.

Either way, I don't agree that it's pathetic if the other nominees chose not to put their name on it.  Whether I agree with it or not, I think it's perfectly understandable if any of them thought it would be inappropriate.  They might have decided it would look like they were saying "but I wanna be on TV!"

Fair enough, I understand that viewpoint too. Pathetic was probably the wrong word on my part; I'm just disappointed an opportunity was missed for all 5 nominees to stand up and put their names against this letter (and that goes for all affected categories, not just Original Score).

But I also accept there's far bigger problems happening in the world right now, and maybe some of the nominees just don't particularly care about the accolades. Who knows.

On 09/03/2022 at 3:32 PM, Bellosh said:

Someone already made a thread on this and then someone moved it into the Oscars thread.

Lol yeah I don’t quite get this thread....aren’t like half of the threads on this subforum “John Williams in the news”?

I don't see any problem with everything JW does getting its own thread on a John Williams website

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I don't see any problem with everything JW does getting its own thread on a John Williams website

I don't think anyone would be happy if *everything* JW does got its own thread. Luckily, we don't have that much insight into the day to day details of his personal life (I'm pretty sure we would get a thread on *everything* otherwise).

I would be curious for anybody to name one thing John Williams has done (that we know of) that hasn’t gotten its own thread 

Also don't know why that other thread was merged into the Oscar thread. Unless Ricard merged the other one.

23 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I would be curious for anybody to name one thing John Williams has done (that we know of) that hasn’t gotten its own thread 

Some TV things. I don't believe there's any thread on WHO GOES THERE?, for example.

Just now, Jay said:

Start a thread and describe for us the music in that show!

I have something far more ambitious planned this year -- unless someone beats me to it.

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

Some TV things. I don't believe there's any thread on WHO GOES THERE?, for example.

I was mainly referring to since this forum started. I know you have a list. ;)

I know that on here we are not allowed to discuss anything political but this very action by the Oscars board is considered by many to be borderline political and it does need to be discussed as a one off and allowed by moderators especially when it does include John Williams, the top film composer in the world who we all appreciate and love. We should be allowed to react to what the Oscars board are doing to highly skilled competent film composers.

Sometimes the only reason i've watched the Oscars is to see who wins Best Score. But as this category was being relegated by the Oscars board , they have quite rightly been rebuked by John Williams and others of notable standing.

I'm just wondering whether this has been brought on by the fact that there are not many black or ethnic individuals that have won in these categories.

I mean , when was the last time you saw a black film composer undertaking a score for a film that was like say Star Wars. 

Quincy Jones is the only guy i know of any standing who has produced memorable scores but then again they were only light scores

The  Oscars  event now seems to be just a platform for actors and actresses  to air their political views and push diversity down the throats of people and in that respect i just wonder how many people switch over or just turn off their tv in the first hour

Having worked in the film industry , i have noticed this move towards a woke virtue signalling environment and in the scripting of films and  it is killing some film genres especially romance and action films where scripts just have to include diverse points of view when the original book/script  had no such reference in it.

Its like you now have to have a political correctness advisor who says ,you must include this or that to keep people happy. Its utter nonsense!

Don't get me wrong regardless of what colour you are, if you are good at what you do , you deserve recognition.

But old school values  are being thrown down the toilet and i have to say that when i now sit in a cinema to watch a film, the comments that you now hear on coming out are negative like "we didnt need to have that rammed down our throats" or "what the hell was that doing in the film , its nothing like the book"

Its very worrying when skilled people like John Williams who have been in the industry for years are now being undermined because of the Oscars boards move towards pleasing every Tom, Dick and Mary.

In that respect , why is there not an Animal category in the Oscars celebrating an animals acting ability.  After all, the American Animal Humane society gets a nod at the end of every film.

Perhaps we should be asking them what creature performed well interacting with humans

And since JW  has composed entire scores around animals ie Jaws , War Horse etc

Now that would be an interesting diversity to say the least.

• 2 weeks later...

It was first performed at a concert last year, no one ever said it was written last year

The worst, and most bafflingly stupid article ever written about Williams:

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1586662/steven-spielberg-jaws-john-williams-score-soundtrack

John Williams, at the time, was relatively new to composing soundtracks for movies. Although he had received some recognition from the Academy Awards, he had never really broken into the mainstream. So, when he started working on the now instantly-recognisable Jaws soundtrack, he knew he had stumbled onto something memorable.

But Spielberg was not convinced at all. Instead, when the director first heard the film's signature "dun dun, dun dun" he thought it was all a joke.

'Relatively new'.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone unfamiliar with the UK news media, one would not normally look to the Daily Express for information that was particularly insightful, unusual, intellectual or original.

For some reason, it’s also had a bizarre obsession with Princess Diana which might also serve as some context.

Mark

Found this announcement on Twitter.  Not sure what it exactly the collaboration would entail but it would be crazy if true.

The translation -

"A project is underway with John William, a master who works on movie music such as "STAR WARS" and "Jurassic Park", which I personally love, and Deutsche Grammophon, the largest classical label! When I was in high school, I was playing John's songs such as "ET" in the orchestra club, and I want to teach myself that I will be connected to work in the future"

Maybe they would be using something from one of the recent concert recordings?