Michael Kamen's THE IRON GIANT (1999) - 2022 Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

Yeah that's gorgeous.  I'm always disappointed in Varese not investing more in art direction considering they're financially the biggest player in the specialty label space

4 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Is this the complete score?

Yes, plus some unused stuff including some demo songs.  Everything on the disc except those demos is in the book, though I think I'll have to do another "matrix" that shows which cue links to which track since they've joined some cues together and used different titles again!

49 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

It's a good film with gorgeous animation##!

A gorgeous score too, and quite a unique sounding recording, due to the fact it was recorded in a concert hall rather than a studio (the Dvorak Hall at the Rudolfinum in Prague, Czech Republic).

I never listened to that score before but always have been a fan of the movie. It will be nice to discover it immediatly

It's out in N-Z streaming platform

The Iron Giant by Michael Kamen (youtube link)

On 10/03/2022 at 1:35 PM, chrissiddall said:

I think I'll have to do another "matrix" that shows which cue links to which track since they've joined some cues together and used different titles again!

I got you covered

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RE9v_-muOBtBnUmLik3t60-h8KAfeJ1TMEQQuansh6g

It looks like those early versions that you had you mentioned hearing recordings of are not included :(

On 10/03/2022 at 1:58 PM, May the Force be with You said:

It's out in N-Z streaming platform

Yea, the link is in the main post of this thread - that's how I discovered it existed!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Looks like those early versions you mentioned hearing recordings of aren't included :(

Yes unfortunately that seems to be the case.  It's a shame as they were definitely recorded (I'm heard the master tapes!) but I guess that would have meant stretching to a second disc and other production costs.

Luckily you can find all the cues from the book on my YouTube playlist below, which uses my notation software playback to fill in the gaps from the original OST release.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2XL1LU1Am0iDi6gRmqwVlZrmYkpEUrbo

That's the thing - I'm pretty sure that fans of this score who want more than the OST album provided would be happy to pay a little more for a complete 2-CD set, than this incomplete 1-CD set.  Especially since the price difference would be like $5

Looking forward to this release, thankfully had @chrissiddalls YouTube playlist to help appreciate the unreleased music, but getting to hear the actual recordings is exciting. Definitely a great score that really captures the emotional weight it needs along side the action, something that Kamen was always good at balancing.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

That's the thing - I'm pretty sure that fans of this score who want more than the OST album provided would be happy to pay a little more for a complete 2-CD set, than this incomplete 1-CD set.  Especially since the price difference would be like $5

How are Varese the biggest if they don't even see this and are too cheap to make their artworks not shit?

The art does look a bit flat, although we don't know how constrained Varese was in designing it. You know how these things work sometimes - they can only use certain images or can't deviate from the OST's design.

That fan one is awesome though.

Michael Kamen
Iron Giant, The: The Deluxe Edition (CD)
UPC: 888072415645
Release Date: 3/11/2022
Regular price: $19.98

The Iron Giant (1999) is a modern classic, an animated film directed by Brad Bird (The Incredibles, Mission: Impossible—Ghost Protocol) about a young boy who befriends a giant alien robot during the Sputnik era of the Cold War. Based on the 1968 book The Iron Man by poet Ted Hughes, the film is a marvel of heartfelt storytelling, with timeless themes of friendship, caring and self-determination.

Creating the Iron Giant’s beautiful, sympathetic score was Michael Kamen—one of his last major scores and his first animated film, miles away from the action blockbusters for which he had become known, but much closer to his heart. Kamen’s gorgeous score is full of melody, humor and sensitivity, grandly performed by the Czech Philharmonic. It scales as big as the threat of nuclear annihilation, and as intimate as the goodness that connects nine-year-old Hogarth Hughes to the alien machine—who decides he would rather be “Superman” than a weapon.

Varèse Sarabande released Kamen’s The Iron Giant score as a 49-minute program in 1999. This Deluxe Edition fills an entire CD, with a 64-minute score program plus 13 minutes of alternates, outtakes and rare demos—including a piano-and-guitar attempt at an unrealized song, “Souls Don’t Die,” based on Kamen’s theme, performed by Kamen and Eric Clapton. Tim Greiving’s new liner notes feature new interview material with director Brad Bird, music editor Christopher Brooks and orchestrator Blake Neely, going deep into Kamen’s working process and their adoration for the gifted, late composer.

Limited to 2000 copies

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/michael-kamen-the-iron-giant-the-deluxe-edition-cd

I saw the film a couple of years ago, but admittedly the only bits of music that really stood out to me that much were the 'Superman' scene and the final pre-credits scene. The rest of it is nice as a background standalone listen, but not something I revisit often.

31 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

I've listen to this on youtube and while I'm really statisfied by the music and presentation, I can't really get into the art cover so I come with those using various images:

The Iron Giant (Deluxe Edition Alternate #1).jpgThe Iron Giant (Deluxe Edition Alternate #5).jpgThe Iron Giant (Deluxe Edition Alternate #4).jpgThe Iron Giant (Deluxe Edition Alternate #3).jpgThe Iron Giant (Deluxe Edition Alternate #2).jpg

Ugh how I have to decide between yet more amazing cover options! Super stuff. 

You know, I've had this score for years, I love the movie, and I just don't listen to it very much.

I'm loving this! I'm not always sure what's new but I mostly don't care.

I think I just need to listen to more Kamen. The only Kamen disc I ever really listened to from start to finish on a regular basis was Mr. Holland's Opus.

I just watched the bluray " signature edition".

Not sure what bits were added but a scene with THE JACK PAAR SHOW stood out.

It's a good film with a great finale.

It's erratic in quality but never goes below " good".

Two main problems:

1. Like STARMAN, the plot too often mirrors E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTIAL

2. Some of the attempts at humour fall flat; most glaringly the Ex-Lax gag.

But, overall good film and score!

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

Not sure what bits were added

The brief conversation between Annie and Dean in the diner before the farmer show's him his tractor, the giants dream coming through on Dean's TV were added and an advert for Tomorrowland replaced a cereal one that was in the theatrical cut.

On 27/03/2022 at 8:45 AM, bruce marshall said:

The Giants dream really added alot to the story!

It really does add some more context to the story, quite surprised that it was originally cut.

Absolutely loving The Iron Giant, nice to be reminded about a score I'd not listened to in a while, plus being able to enjoy the unreleased music which more rounds things out a little than being revelatory.

However I'm mystified about why the track Bedtime Stories appears after the end credits rather than in the body of the main programme. I can't figure out why this would be the case and the liner notes don't say (as far as I can see). Like all the tracks identical to their OST counterparts it's marked as "original soundtrack version", which is a bit weird in itself given that there aren't film versions of these cues (including Bedtime Stories) presented instead. I will probably move it to the main programme (in a similar location to where it appears on the original album I guess) as it's a lovely cue but I'd really like to know why it's programmed at the end! Any ideas?!

Isn't "Bedtime Stories" just an album track that combined what is now "Amerika" and "Great Ride" together into one track?

On 10/03/2022 at 2:29 PM, Jay said:

8 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

It really does add some more context to the story, quite surprised that it was originally cut.

I always thought it was redundant and at the time so did Bird.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Isn't "Bedtime Stories" just an album track that combined what is now "Amerika" and "Great Ride" together into one track?

Aha. Thank you. That explains it. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I for one do not understand why they didn't.

It's a baffling decision IMO

How many times do fans complain about having to pay for a second disc of just "extras" when the complete score proper fits on a single disc?

(A: ALL THE TIME -- and that's on Goldsmith releases! Michael Kamen just doesn't have the same kind of following, and I'm sure that was part of Varese's calculation.)

Yavar