The Pitch Meetings thread

Jay

Pitch Meetings are so much funnier than Honest Trailers these days.

HT are like The Simpsons: It was funny years ago, but not so much over the last few years. I rarely watch the newer ones anymore. That said, I still enjoy the classic Honest Trailers from 2013 to about 2016.

Where's DUNE?!😗

On 24/03/2022 at 1:12 PM, Disco Stu said:

He's done the best Batman movie

Yeah, he really nailed All the elements in.the 'script' that make  this film is such a travesty!

I disagree. Unlike those other snarky videos*, Ryan actually provides insightful comments on the scripts. He does some good analysis on why scriptwriters ( and directors) fall short.

And, most importantly, he's funny!

*I don't watch them because they are way too lenghty

I enjoy his videos a lot, but the main thing I get from it is how "structurally sound and logical" scripts have actually very little to do with how much I enjoy a movie.  Batman Returns is all vibes and it is glorious.

On 24/3/2022 at 9:12 PM, Disco Stu said:

He's done the best Batman movie

I don’t want to watch this, because I love the film so much I don’t want to know why it’s bad. 

It's Chandler humour applied to other media. American snark. It's not that becoming nor especially funny to me, at least as a Brit. 

I've watched the Batman one above though and I admit it was mildly entertaining. But it's personally not something I'd regularly tune into, gimmicky as it is. 

10 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

The two persons who expressed " love" for BATMAN RETURNS are dead to me!😠

😜

Too bad because I really like you. 

10 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

The two persons who expressed " love" for BATMAN RETURNS are dead to me!😠

😜

So, you admit it sucks!😅

No, I don't want to know why it's bad according to those who dislike it. I LOVE it. It's one of Burton's best films imho, and Elfman managed to top his first Batman score. There is absolutely nothing I don't like about BR. Well, maybe one thing: that it doesn't have a sequel. (I'm still waiting for a Burton-Elfman-Keaton BATMAN BEYOND movie. Now THAT would be awesome. Xolo Maridueña could play Terry McGinnis.)

18 hours ago, Quintus said:

It's Chandler humour applied to other media. American snark. It's not that becoming nor especially funny to me, at least as a Brit. 

I've watched the Batman one above though and I admit it was mildly entertaining. But it's personally not something I'd regularly tune into, gimmicky as it is. 

Ironic, given Ryan George is Canadian. He's based out of Montreal. 

20 hours ago, JTW said:

I don’t want to watch this, because I love the film so much I don’t want to know why it’s bad. 

He doesn't really ever say a movie is bad, he just points out leaps in logic, plot holes, etc that can be explained with "unclear!" or "because!" 

I'm sorry but you're gonna have to get alllll the way off his back about it. 

Yeah you better get off that thing. 

8 hours ago, NL197 said:

He doesn't really ever say a movie is bad, he just points out leaps in logic, plot holes, etc that can be explained with "unclear!" or "because!" 

I'm sorry but you're gonna have to get alllll the way off his back about it. 

Yeah you better get off that thing. 

I’ve been an avid fan of Pitch Meetings for years, so getting all the way off my back would be super easy, barely an inconvenience.

On 26/3/2022 at 5:17 AM, Disco Stu said:

I enjoy his videos a lot, but the main thing I get from it is how "structurally sound and logical" scripts have actually very little to do with how much I enjoy a movie.  Batman Returns is all vibes and it is glorious.

Yes, and this is exactly why Burton’s Batman films (and especially his second one) are the best filmed interpretations of the character. They don’t try to shove a square peg into the round hole of real life, as Nolan’s trilogy and Snyder’s godforsaken movies try to do. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I don't understand why they didn't look at Prisoner of Ahzkaban (I'm not looking that up) and say "Ohhhh. Make them all like THAT one? OK!"

Maybe because Prisoner had the lowest box office of the franchise? Which wasn't even its fault though, it was WB's stupidity that sent the movie to fight Shrek 2, The Day After Tomorrow and Spider-Man 2 in Summer 2004.

GOF bungles 90% of the book, the mood, the scale, the style, the characters, the plot. It bungles them very watchably unlike the Yateses but still bungles them.

90%? Can you elaborate? I feel that's a bit harsh, but then I've never been someone who compares the movies too much to the books. For me it gets much more problematic when the movies themselves don't work.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

If Newell had stuck around, it would have been fine too. GOF is arguably a better adaptation because POA bungles the whole Marauders backstory.

Why are people still on that? Lol.

I would hardly call GOF a better adaptation, because POA left out a detail that really isn't even all that relevant. I've never missed having that in there.

POA is missing one line of dialogue. "That was us." And it always baffled me why that wasn't in it.

OTOH, that's the kind of stuff I tell my kids to get them to read.

Although my daughter doesn't like the books. She says they're too English. ;)

At this point to me, the movies aren't even worth watching.  I won't say the books are unadaptable, but I don't think it's possible to get across what's special about the experience of reading the books in a film.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...