Need your help with JW BIO

Petr Potter

Just need to make this clear.

Williams moved from New York with his father band in 1947 to Los Angeles. It is written in groove music encyclopedia, but in this video at time 1:27

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCoC5RSSNTo

Williams says it was in 1938. ??? Can somebody help me make this clear? I am writing his biography for my university. THX!

He certainly did accompany his parents in Hollywood as a child, because there is that anecdote about him playing with Shirley Temple on the studio lot (I think in 1940) 'his first assignment'. Maybe they stayed there for some time, moved back to NY, and then back again?

Actually, the Williams family moved to LA in early 1948, not 1947. John Williams spent his first high school semester at a New York school before transferring to the North Hollywood High School in early 1948.

However, they lived there temporarily for a few months in 37/38. Raymond Scott was tempted by Hollywood, and went there to work on movies, arranging stuff or appearing on-screen as musicians along with his quintet (like ALI BABA GOES TO TOWN or HAPPY LANDING -- starring my own country's Sonja Henie). Williams sr., being part of the Raymond Scott Quintet, followed suit, along with his family (wife and two kids at this point). Scott eventually became disillusioned by the film industry and moved back to New York. So did the Williamses.